Yes (Steven Wilson Remixes) 6LP Box Set*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Big Swifty, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident Thread Starter

What did you guys think of the 2016 reissue of Topographic Oceans?

2. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Meh. Decent 70's pressings are very easy to find

Big Swifty likes this.
  3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

The Bellman CTTE did not disappoint.:righton:

sonofjim and SirMarc like this.
  4. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Nice!

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Underwhelming

Big Swifty likes this.
  6. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Wow. Only one side so far, but fantastic. No surface noise, which is always good.

I'm a live Yeshead, so hadn't heard Fragile in I can't tell you how long. I'd forgotten how good it really is.

Two things:

--Why weren't all the '70s Yes albums done this way? I guess Tormato would not have benefited very much, but it would be nice to have the option.
    --I wish they hadn't stuck the book in the middle, but maybe they did it so it wouldn't shake around and scratch the record. Small gripe.

It was sitting right behind Fragile at Barnes & Noble yesterday, but nobody seems to like it. Friday Music, right? I should give my old '70s copy a shot and see how it plays. It's been a while.

SirMarc likes this.
  7. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Glad you like it!

I've got a radio promo of Tales that is banded, but somehow plays continuous that blows my mind every time I play it. Its got the biggest and most 3D soundstage I've ever heard on any album. If you can find one I seriously recommend it...

AidanB likes this.
  8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I have no Yes vinyl so this is a definite buy.

SirMarc likes this.
  9. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

The release of the Wilson vinyl remixes seem to lag behind the CD release by about 2 years. It has become more than coincidence and I wonder if there is a marketing or licensing reason behind it.

10. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Have to second this recommendation every time it comes up, the WLP Tales is wonderful, very immersive.

SirMarc likes this.
  11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That version was the one originally serviced to radio stations. The one with the fades came a couple weeks later.

SirMarc likes this.
  12. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Got’em all save Tales. All original releases except the Analog Productions Fragile. As interesting as this sounds I need to be more selective where I put my cash.

13. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I got lucky then. When I got it and saw the banding, I was crestfallen, Tales can't be broken up! When I played it, I was seriously relieved. It was also supposedly never played, and looks and sounds like it. Its one of my prized possessions
    [​IMG]

djost, puelche, Jvalvano and 4 others like this.
  14. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Mine was the exact same story, got it for a very nice price too. Any idea if there is a similar WLP of Relayer without the fade-ins?

SirMarc likes this.
  15. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Yes there is , I own a copy

16. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I noticed that the original link that the thread starter posted is now a dead link. Considering that they were asking $300 to be pre-paid for a $120 box-set, I can see why.

17. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

How's it sound? This is the one album from this era of Yes that I really don't like the way it sounds. I've got a first American press that is better than my other copies, but still hurts your ears when cranked.

This is the one album in this set that I'm really looking forward too. His remix ripped to 24/96 flac has been my go to since release

18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The mastering is good - not on the same level as the Kevin Grey cut of Fragile, but good. I see a couple people below didn't care for it, but everyone's got opinions.

I like it because the vinyl is dead silent and there's no IGD. Try finding an original that's the same.

Big Swifty likes this.
  19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Nope, the 2016 TFTO is from Rhino. Came out shortly after they did Fragile. There's nothing wrong with it - sounds fine.

20. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident Thread Starter

That was in Australian dollars. Works out to around USD200. It will end up being around $200 Australian (about USD150).

21. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

For what its worth, I have both and the Rhino is much better than the Friday Music pressing. I'd wait though, I'm sure the remix will be good

Ben Adams likes this.
  22. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

The K Gray Fragile is identified as such, right on the shrinkwrap. The Tales doesn't have any identifying stickers on it. Some Rhino releases do.

I wouldn't mind having a nice clean copy of the original mix. I love Tales. All of it. I wish I could find a WLP of it to go along with my Yes Album, which is superb. But it's weird, I seem to have misplaced some of my records. My original Fragile, Tales, Relayer, and Drama are all missing, among other records from other artists.

SirMarc likes this.
  23. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Awaken gentle missing no touch

96/24 master files
    stick with UK originals and several audiophile remasters

24. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

On the back cover and spine it will say Friday Music if its that pressing. If not, it's the Rhino.

misteranderson likes this.
  25. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Huh?

AidanB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.