Yes Union Live 30 disc megaset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tonylevin'ssuitcase, Feb 26, 2021.

1. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Everybody knows, the track list has been posted for a long time now.

No, it is not.

2. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

3 different audiences recordings are listed at Forgotten Yesterdays.

Union Tour (146)

3. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I have the show from atlantic city on video from that tour(I think it was following night or so)
    It was the same guy who shot the Pensacola in the round show.
    I bought first gens from him back in the vhs days.

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

I know this is slightly off topic but it might steer someone in the right direction. I did not want the Rick Wakeman official boot boxes. I had long possessed a fairly rough tape copy of the Sheffield 81 show which was in the box. This was an old radio broadcast. I eventually picked up the standalone release of this show at an ok-ish price. The official release is still lousy sounding and was a waste of money frankly. What I am saying is buyer beware if you are seeking out an individual show for whatever personal reason and even if it is taken from a radio broadcast it won’t be multitracks for certain. On another note they put out an ABWH show from Birmingham in another of these boxes and while it was decent enough sound it had a brutal glitch on one of the tracks. Beat the boots please don’t join them!

5. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

As discussed earlier in the thread, the 30-disc set is mostly sourced from bootlegs. A handful of shows were professionally recorded, but even those might be fan recordings of radio broadcasts. If you want one set from the Union tour, go for the Shoreline set.

It really annoys me that the band recorded a lot of concerts on that tour, but they seem to have lost the tapes. Why bother recording so many shows if they were going to sit on the tapes afterward? I understand there were, as Rick put it, "eight different managements," but everyone was able to get on the same page for the actual tour. They should have baked a release of concert recordings into the same set of contracts. Maybe someday the rest of the tapes will turn up and we'll get at least one pristine complete show (Shoreline has gaps).

6. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

So, a lot of Yes shows from this tour showing up on Amazon. Is this the boxset being broken up? And are any of them worth buying?

7. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

How are these tagged on Amazon? I'm not finding them...

8. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

9. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

10. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

It's a 30 disc box set ;)

warewolf95 likes this.
  11. SJB

Gonzo's website is now listing standalone sets from the box set for pre-order, to be released April 28th.
    Gonzo Multimedia - Artists - Yes
    The professional recordings are on the Shoreline, Denver, and Wembley sets (the Wembley set has one pro-recorded CD and one audience CD), and the "Bonus Tracks and Tour Extras" disc includes a pro-recorded disc from Burgettstown, Pennsylvania.
    The U.S. prices are $10.84 for Wembley and $14.91 for Denver (more expensive because it also has a pro-shot DVD).

A cheaper option for people who didn't want to pay hundreds for a box of mostly audience boots.

WhatDoIKnow, KDubATX, Tullman and 2 others like this.
  12. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

So the box sets didn't sell and they are breaking them up to sell individually?

13. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

That wouldn't surprise me. I can't see even the most devoted superfan of this lineup wanting sixty hours of this all at once. I'm also not sure there are any devoted superfans of this lineup.

14. SJB

The Union lineup only really existed for the one tour - the album was assembled from disparate sessions and they were never all in the studio together (no damn room, given the battalion of session players). In terms of the bang-to-buck ratio, I think the Union tour really delivered. Howe and Rabin have polar opposite playing styles, and this tour was the only chance to see each of them playing on the songs they'd recorded.

15. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Perfect! Thanks for posting!

16. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I have the “Union: Live” album and it’s a good listen, certainly better than the Union album itself by a long shot. I just don’t know how many people out there will want 30 slightly different versions of it.

Musically it’s an interesting chapter in the band’s history and it’s fun to hear that lineup’s take on the classics. But the studio album is a totally incoherent Frankenstein’s monster and I could barely sit through it the one time I tried to listen to it.

Rufus rag likes this.
  17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'd like the Denver Set.

18. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

The Union tour was wonderful.

19. SJB

You're welcome! Others had already posted Amazon links - these look to be the same thing, but straight from the label's mouth. (Sometimes Amazon prematurely posts preorder links for releases that end up not happening.)
    Denver is really good, and it's got some stuff like "Hold On" that's missing from Shoreline. The tragic flaw is the sound mix. Sometimes you can't hear a guitar or keyboard solo because it's submerged behind the other instruments. I'm pretty sure they had to resort to an early rough mix because the multi-tracks are long gone. A better mix of the Denver show was prepared for TV broadcast, but that was edited down to something like an hour, and there's added applause - I seem to recall constant cheering during "Owner of a Lonely Heart." Still, while Shoreline has the best overall presentation, Denver takes a well-deserved silver. Wembley is great too - recorded for radio - but it's a shame that only about half the show is there in good quality.

20. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I saw these pop up on Amazon. I’m interested enough to get one probably. Was not ever looking at buying the big box.

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I really want the DVD, not that interested in the cds.

22. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

23. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist

It was. Terrific setlist and a lot of fun being had by most of the band. Aside from Steve Howe who called a band meeting early on in the tour to complain about Rabin overplaying.

I have fond memories of that whole period. I was 18 in 1991, and around the time Union was happening, there was also the YesYears boxed set and accompanying video, both of which I scraped together enough money to buy. Back then, there wasn't much of an internet to speak of (certainly no web, anyway) so there was nobody around to tell me not to like Union. It was all very exciting for this young Yes fan!

JPagan, WhatDoIKnow, Mike N. and 7 others like this.
  24. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

And just two years earlier Squire was suing ABWH. Suddenly there they all were, taking the stage together. Quite a moment.