Yes Union Live 30 disc megaset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tonylevin'ssuitcase, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

This isn't Rhino. It's Gonzo Media. Rhino would never agree to releasing a 30 disc set like this.

ARK and LivingForever like this.
  2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I was talking about the BBC sessions box (apparently abandoned by the band), and the idea that a record label had kiboshed it.

Rufus rag and Lownote30 like this.
  3. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Gotcha. Yeah, Rhino would have released that for sure, so I don't think it was them who put a stop on that one.

misteranderson likes this.
  4. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

According to Jon Anderson, Rhino nixed a career-spanning live retrospective that Jon had compiled. Jon said the label was concerned about the cost of licensing the tracks.

That project was separate from the early years/BBC compilation, which apparently is on the back burner but not completely abandoned. From Where are they now? - Yes :
    In a Jun 2019 Facebook post, Yes announced that, "Towards the end of 2019, YES will be releasing a Box Set of BBC Sessions and Early Years recordings, primarily focussing on 1969 and 1970. This official release will eclipse anything released before, from this era, featuring a wealth of material that fans won't have heard before." The release has been delayed, but is still forthcoming. . . . I understand the box set to be a substantial release, possibly including material previously not known to exist. Non-BBC sessions on the release will include "Beyond and Before" and "Survival" from Belgian TV's Pop-Eye, broadcast 15 Oct 1969. A Jun 2020 rumour had that the release will consist of 4 CDs.

ARK, Dave S, footlooseman and 3 others like this.
  5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I believe he said that, but it makes no sense. Rhino already owns the majority of Yes' catalogue.

6. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Does Howe have a say in releasing material that doesn't include him? He controls the brand "Yes," if I'm not mistaken.

7. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Agreed.

I missed out on the original Union Live Gonzo release... heck, if they just expanded that to add missing tracks, I'd just get that!

warewolf95 and PhoffiFozz like this.
  8. Tattooed Headshrinker

Tattooed Headshrinker Accidentally Like A Martyr

They did on the vinyl release, which is why I ordered that one. I never got the original LP release either.

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

[​IMG]

ARK and Instant Dharma like this.
  10. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

So....30 discs of the Union tour? No thanks.

Where are complete shows (not even multi-shows) from Tales, 1976, GFTO, Tormato? Yesshows and Word is Live were just an appetizer.

11. SJB

Depends who owns the live tapes. Radio broadcasts might be the property of whichever station recorded them. (The BBC sure as shootin' owns their recordings, even claiming copyright of fan bootlegs of material that the Beeb itself never bothered to properly archive.)

I'm not sure the entire Shoreline show was recorded. The deluxe Gonzo Union Live release only had two and a half additional songs from Shoreline Amphitheater - "Shock to the System," "Lift Me Up" (likely omitted because of a glitch with Trevor's guitar, causing him to miss half his solo), and the first half of "And You And I" (the tape ran out about five minutes in). The Gonzo set also had "Changes" and the drum duet from Burgettstown. Other tracks, like "Long Distance Runaround," were only represented on bootleg video from Denver and Pensacola. (The Denver show was pro-shot, but the only thing keeping it from being the worst ever Yes concert sound mix is QPR.)

How much exists? There isn't any one, central depot where Yes (or Atlantic/WEA/Elektra/Rhino) keeps all its live tapes. If the 1977 tapes used as sources for Yesshows still exist, I'd love a full set from that tour. But it has to exist in releasable condition. Brian Kehew says the tapes from JFK Stadium 1976 surfaced, but turned out to be "a very sour night" despite the somewhat legendary reputation of that gig.

Consider that much of the Union tour was recorded on digital multi-track, but this new box set is mostly scrounged from audience tapes. And that's 1991. I can only imagine the state of tapes from the 1970s - the ones that didn't burn up in 1978 when Atlantic's tape vault went up in flames.

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I'm pretty certain that Yes' contract with Rhino gives them ownership of any live stuff recorded during the period covered (which would be all of the Atlantic and Atco years). Else there would have been difficulties over Progeny, The Word Is and whatever live tracks were on reissues. (BBC tapes would be an exception, but the box Anderson referred to wasn't that).

Also, Rhino is owned by Warner/Elektra/Atlantic, so that stuff never really went anywhere,

13. ries

ries Forum Resident

jup, sadly there isnt a (good) recording of a ABWH show with Levin, this popped up in my YT recommendations though:

warewolf95, ytserush and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  14. SJB

Gonzo Multimedia put out an audio recording of ABWH, with Levin, at the NEC. I believe it's out of print, though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ARK, sleepjar, Say It Right and 4 others like this.
  15. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Exactly. Love the concept, but the execution seems to be sorely lacking.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  16. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

There is a standalone 4 x vinyl of the Shoreline Theater show going to be released : newly mixed by Trevor Rabin. I dont buy vinyl so this kind of thing bums me off because I'd have to buy the whole box set to hear/own it on CD.

17. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I thought they released a dvd as well - ive been trying for years to get one :(

18. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I have it on VHS tape & CD that came in one if your interested lol

warewolf95 likes this.
  19. warewolf95

LMAO I appreciate it but my VHS player died a few years back and I've moved on to DVD... :D

Seriously, thanks though :p

Rufus rag likes this.
  20. SJB

The DVD that came with the NEC show wasn't concert footage. It was backstage/behind the scenes video, shot by one of the backing musicians. The concert video is the show with Berlin filling in for Levin.

ARK and warewolf95 like this.
  21. Brian Imig

Brian Imig Forum Resident

There were videos [each song uploaded by itself] of the ABWH Jones Beach gig on Youtube several years back, featuring Levin that seem to have vanished.

warewolf95 likes this.
  22. warewolf95

Gotcha! Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

23. SJB

The NEC performance of "Heart of the Sunrise" is, for the moment, up on YouTube if anyone wants a taste of the performance. A big chunk of the intro focuses on Levin's bass.

chrisblower and warewolf95 like this.
  24. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

Yes, just one right? Thats all it would take. Or maybe two.

25. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

I got it and it’s a rather bad audio quality ... almost bootleg.

ARK and warewolf95 like this.