“Yesterday” (June 28, 2019): The Beatles never existed, but one man knows their songs.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

But wasn't the appeal of The Beatles as much about their unique personalities and ability to stay relevant throughout the changes of the 60s? I can think of bands which tick some boxes but not all of them.

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Sure, but they were also part of larger trends, like a rivalry with Brian Wilson, or bringing in instruments from other countries. If they hadn't existed, other musicians would have been affected by those same things. There would have been a different 800 lb gorilla, or maybe two 400 lb ones. The Kinks or Donovan might have had much more impact. Who knows?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    MoonPool likes this.
  3. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

That's not what I meant. I was saying the company making the film peeled off the decals on a Yellow Submarine toy and put it in the movie.

MoonPool likes this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Thus annoying both Beatlemaniacs and toy collectors in one fell swoop.

5. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I don't think much of her work is funny, but obviously many do.

SRC likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's an interesting interpretation, but not sure how well it flies.

For instance, we know the Stones exist in this universe, so did they still record "I Wanna Be Your Man"? How COULD they?

Or how could Bowie have featured Lennon on the "Young Americans" album and cover "Across the Universe"?

Beatles touched too many moving parts for them to have existed, changed the culture and then vanished but STILL left that mark without there being all sorts of anomalies like those...

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

I agree with Chris. Just because they had a yellow submarine doesn't mean it was an official Beatles-branded Yellow Submarine.

Crud, it could've just been a plain toy one of them painted yellow!

8. Oatsdad

Home-made, one assumes.
    After all, aren't ALL Sgt. Pepper outfits fans wear home-made? It's not like you can buy them from Beatles enterprises - they're all fan fashioned.

No reason the other Beatles-rememberers couldn't have made their own!

stevenson66g and Chris DeVoe like this.
  9. Oatsdad

I disliked McKinnon for a while, but she's grown on me.

I get why people might dislike her work, though!

10. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I often think about what might have been, had Buddy Holly not died when he did. He influenced the Beatles, and who knows what he would have gone on to do. Would he have been his own Beatle, and "pre-empted" the Beatles?

There are probably an infinite number of alternate universe possibilities out there, each "changed" by one event, seemingly small or big, which then snowballs into something(s) greater.

11. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I saw it last night. There were 4 other people in the theater besides us. One small popcorn + one small coke was $13.50. (1st time I've been to a theater since Avatar - so that surprised me.) The sound was ridiculously loud and distorted. The picture on the screen was weak. It was cold as Hell. The movie was entertaining enough, but certainly not great.
    I thought the guy's decision to make that announcement in the end was not good. By then he had good justification to keep doing what he'd been doing: They were songs which needed to be brought to life and he was the one to do it. He could have married his woman and brought her along with him. Did I miss something along the lines that she had to stay in England or to Hell with him? I'm still not entirely sure why he made this announcement.

Hall Cat and Veggie Boy like this.
  12. Oatsdad

What chain?

13. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Regal in Bradenton, FL

14. Oatsdad

Ah! AMC has a "Cameo Combo" that's cheaper - $10 normal price, and $5 when they have a special. You should go there instead when you go to another movie 10 years from now! :D

BZync, forthlin and Chris DeVoe like this.
  15. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

LOL. I'll remember that. Frankly, I don't see how this one could survive that long. It was a 9:40 pm showing. I peeked into the other 7 theaters in the complex and they were empty or just 5 or less people. Parking lot only had a few cars. Maybe other times or movies have better turnout.

16. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Come back Friday night when a comic book movie is opening.

Thomas D likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

You were there on a Tuesday - that's a slow day!

Also, 9:40 PM is pushing pretty late.

And the Regal you mention sounds like it might be a dump. I looked at Yelp - it got good ratings in the past but over the last couple of years, they've declined...

Steve Carras and Thomas D like this.
  18. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

The seats were actually comfortable sorts of reclining lounge chairs. Very big space between rows too. The floor seemed clean - not sticky like theater floors used to be. Seemed pretty clean and all, but it was dark, so I could only see so much. And they sell beer now too - that's new. Problem is a 24 oz can of Bud costs around $9. The big problems to me were the food cost, sound was way to loud to the point of distortion and the PQ was terrible.

19. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I saw it in the same style of theatre minus the beer part. I too found that during regular dialog the sound was fine but volume cranked up during any music scene...like way too loud and out of proportion to the movie.

Thomas D likes this.
  20. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Exactly. It's one of the main reasons I didn't like the movie.

Thomas D likes this.
  21. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Similar for me but I went in the daytime. There were about a dozen folks there. The screen was not great and either was the sound, but I was still able to enjoy the movie.

I'm doing pretty well these days, but there is no way I can afford to buy food at the movie theater.

I went with Cassie who is 27 but all the others there were around my age.

The theater is not nearly as nice as the place I usually go, which has reclining seats with heaters, a better screen and sound, and just a much better overall experience. Unfortunately with movies, you have to go where they're playing.

Thomas D likes this.
  22. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I think every theater around me has discounts on Tuesday because it is so slow.

23. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

No kidding! My Regal typically shows 20 mins of trailers, so you’re talking about a film that won’t end until after midnight. I’m a night owl, and even I don’t do showings after 9pm...

24. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

The Classic Cinema here in the western suburbs of Chicago charges $6 for seniors (which we are) all the time. Has big, cushy leather recliners, and is nice and clean. Concessions are a little high, but we beat that by going for a quick dinner beforehand.

25. Oatsdad

All AMCs do, but only select Regals.

There's one Regal near me that does bargain Tuesdays, but none of the others offer it. I think it's at the one location because that one's a bit of a dump.

I was at the beach in NJ a couple weeks back and the Monmouth Mall AMC was frickin' PACKED on that Tuesday! Don't think I'd ever seen a multiplex that crowded on a non-weekend date - and even then, it'd be a weekend with a huge new release movie!

mmars982 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.