“Yesterday” (June 28, 2019): The Beatles never existed, but one man knows their songs.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I have to say, above everything else, that I enjoyed the movie a lot, just a light, silly rom-com movie. No for-the-ages classic but worth seeing once. You see THE SCENE coming, but the real surprise was how well it was done, both in visual terms and in its tone. Emotional for sure. Lifted the movie a couple of notches. Once the spoiler expiration date passes, it will be worthy of discussion.

Have to say the one part of the movie that was clunky and did not work for me was precisely the rom-com part, the relationship was not believable from either character's point of view. Iin 10+ years there have been no sparks, all of a sudden he sees the light? Nahhh.

I also have to say that I thought Ed Sherran was excellent in his role, considering he is not an actor and is playing a sort of himself. He did enough to carry his due part of the movie well. And I do not know anything about his music but I liked his persona in this movie.

DiBosco, Vidiot and Chris DeVoe like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I can believe it, being legendarily clueless about women myself. Many men couldn't pick up the "signals" that women send even with the radio dish at Arecibo. Anything short of "Take me! Now!" is going to fly over our heads.

Whatever his limitations as a musician or songwriter he's a hell of a good sport.

3. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I am about 40 miles from the Arecibo radio dish!

But seriously, the quick dénouement of their relationship at the end was very forced. You have to believe that the universe did all this because the only person that could make Jack see the girl in a different light was you-know-who. And at no point of the movie does he show any romantic feelings for her until the Liverpool hotel scene and that was more the alcohol and the stress that he was under. Cute and nice that she was, Jack was not in love with her. He even tells her that they are like brother and sister.

4. Chris DeVoe

It's a little known fact that I have an army of private detectives keeping track of everybody on this forum.
    If you look at the original trailer, there was an entire character removed between the test screenings of this film and its final release.

Jack had a relationship with another girl after he got famous, and in the trailer that girl is seated on the couch next to him when he appears on the James Corden show. She's the one to whom he sings Something (at 2 minutes in.)

So his relationship with Lily James in the original script was complicated by this relationship with this other girl.

beccabear67 likes this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

"That scene" is up on YouTube. Don't watch it if you haven't seen the whole film, but if you have, and for some reason need a good cry, here it is (in a spoiler box):

My other go-to "good cry" scene is Amy Pond's Wedding Reception. Yeah, I'm a big old soppy.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  6. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Question: in the movie, does Jack's album get released?

Also, in the credits for the movie crew there is a George Harrison!

The manager played by Kate M. was too over the top. Kate is actually a very beautiful woman who seems to hide behind every part she plays and her forced facial expressions. I would like to see her play a non-caricature character for once, maybe the lead on her own rom-com.

7. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

8. that scene was incredibly touching.

9. Chris DeVoe

Record, yes. Just pay the fee per song to the Harry Fox Agency. But any time you attach a song to visuals, you have to pay a "sync rights" fee that is basically whatever the songwriter asks for.

10. It can happen. Trust me on that.

vegafleet and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

So, THIS was finally on HBO, and I finally watched it......
    cute....
    I like that fact that Coca-Cola didn't exist, but Cocaine was still around!
    When he asked for a coke, well.... I guess it would've been a PG-13 movie if he was handed a mirror with a few 'lines' on it, would it?

kanakaris likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

It was a chartered jet... Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if the flight attendant brought out a little silver mirrored tray.

13. vince

I'm sure it must of been 'bandied about' by the writer...and, of course, I don't think THAT kind of 'drug use' would be in a PG-13 movie....

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Watched on HBO last night. All I can say is I did manage to get through it. ;)

15. vince

Parts of it were quite 'cringe-y', I have to say...

16. Chris DeVoe

This movie has become one of my "hang out" movies, the type that I put on just to have something on in the background.

Exotiki and JerolW like this.
  17. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

I'm with Chris. A very enjoyable movie. Fun to have around.

jerol

18. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

They could have slipped Carnival of Light in the background of this movie and who would know?

Now I bet you're gonna watch it (again).

19. vince

I don't think so.....

20. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I know. I go out and give them a bacon sandwich when it’s really cold.

Chris DeVoe and Exotiki like this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

Thank you very much, right neighborly of you.

Andy Smith likes this.
  22. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

You should probably have a word with your lass in the red beret and purple fishnets though. The subtlety and concept of ‘concealment’ hasn’t sunk in. Our garden bushes are the standard green. But she tries, bless her.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I vowed not to but found myself watching about the first half on a specialty channel in free preview, but finally bailed partly because of another regular show I follow being on. I checked back in a couple times during commercials on the other show... don't feel like I missed much. Definitely cringey parts to this, like there would not be a big name Rolling Stones to be looked up online or a lot of others with no Beatles (and no second single being I Wanna Be Your Man) not sure how good it could be though with such a fantasy idea. I will say the music usually sounded decent, except Back In The USSR was awful. I guess if you like the basic idea it was done well for the most part.

vince likes this.
  24. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Maybe it's been discussed, but is it the UK blu-ray Region-Free or Region B locked?

25. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

OMG I wasn't expecting this scene and I did cry a bit. If the only reason to watch the film (which I enjoyed very much) was to see this scene it was completely worth it.

Chris DeVoe and Vinyl_Blues like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.