You want Blu-ray for not much cash? How about $68.00 Magnavox from Walmart?

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by soundboy, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I bought one of these pre-xmas at that price so far it's great , also walmart had a cheap extended warranty , i think it was $5 , if it breaks you get a giftcard to buy a new one .

3. omom

omom Forum Resident

Ditto. Owned this one for about 4 months. So far it's played any bluray I've thrown at it. I've not had to upgrade firmware yet.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Stunning news, even for a crappy Funai! My only caveat is I'm concerned about the long-term reliability of brands like this. Magnavox, Philips, and Sylvania were never that good, even for their higher-priced products (of the last ten years or so). An Oppo or Panasonic is a far better investment, IMHO.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Update: the bast@rds up and raised the price to $79. Apparently, the word is getting out...

6. omom

omom Forum Resident

I agree. I'm saving up in my piggy bank as I figure this one will last me 2 years tops. I used it as a cheap entry to pass by the Mrs. and get her convinced that bluray is a good idea. :)

7. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

If i get 2 years out of mine it was worth it , it has a 90 day warranty & i bought the walmart warranty for like $5 , if it breaks within a years time after the 90 days i get all my $$$$ back , how can you go wrong ??

8. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

No display on the front of the unit? No thanks.

9. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Nope , it's all on screen .

10. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Do they play CDs and regular DVDs?

11. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

Don't they all?

12. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

How is the video performance?

13. Not quite. The first Sony stand alone player, the BDP-S1 didn't play CD. It was made by Pioneer and whatever the Pioneer equivalent model was didn't play CD either. As far as I know, all other Blu-ray players play CD and DVD including the Magnavox players.

Chris

14. Playing Blu-ray, it blows away a $3,500 Denon DVD player playing DVD. The player uses a Panasonic UniPhier SoC for video decoding and processing and video quality for Blu-ray at 1080p is very good. DVD quality is probably equivalent to an inexpensive DVD player, let's say one that costs about $68 or so.

It is a Profile 1.1 player, no internet connectivity, no BD-Live features. Build quality is considered acceptable, the player is about one and half years old now and there are a lot of user reports online at AVSForums, Blu-ray.com, High Def Digest and Amazon if you want to piss away time researching a $68 Blu-ray player. There are equivalent models made by Funai sold under various other names including Sylvania, maybe Denon, maybe Onkyo, since Funai makes Blu-ray players for many other companies. I don't know what brands can be found on this specific player but certainly more than just Magnavox. If you have more money to spend on a Blu-ray player, get something better and there are a lot of choices but if this is the budget, it is a great value in my opinion.

If anybody here picks this player up, here is a link to download Funai firmware and instructions to download and install. Be sure to download the specific model firmware. Wal-Mart actually carried three different Magnavox players and I don't know if this sale is limited to just one specific model or if any of the three might be sold.

http://www.funai-corp.com/support/Firmwares.aspx

Chris

15. Jay F

Jay F New Member

The item on sale, and another one at Walmart.com, don't list CD or DVD at all in the features section. So I thought I'd ask.

16. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Hi Jay , yes i have been playing DVD all the time in mine & so far over 2 months this player plays everything i have put in with no problems , really nice picture quality & the sound is top notch on blu-ray .
    the Dvd playback is equal to players i have that are 3 or 4 times this price when i bought them ..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.