Your Biggest Album Disappointment

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Oct 21, 2018.

1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

lol, how about done with mirrors

2. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Kiss Dynasty

By the time it was released, my young love of all things Kiss had started to fade as I found more musically appealing alternatives. But still, they were my first rock concert and I was excited about a new album. I thought it utter dreck.

Weirwolfe, Xabby and Peace N. Love like this.
  3. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Same here - I hear you! On different threads I wrote a lot in support of the band - 2 members form Massachusetts and one with roots in Rhode Island and Connecticut - because they were just so fresh, refreshing, exciting, etc. and was really excited for the new album to arrive on Atlantic. I've given up on the studio set and have listened to the same tracks done live on youtube. What a difference! Wish they'ed release the live versions.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I really loved Boston’s first two, and it was eight years of waiting for Third Stage. Amanda was quite fine, and after that I thought they (Tom) had really cooled the engines.

It’s not a bad album, but it was a let down, to me.

5. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

I know I've had at least a couple that upon finishing playing them I decided there was nothing redeemable and I snapped them in half and tossed them in the garbage. But I can't recall what they were! -- a blessing I think.

Hammerpeg likes this.
  6. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

agreed, but I never played Don't Look Back half as much as the debut, and way less Third Stage. that first one is still on the all time best though

7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I played side two of Dont Look Back like it was Blood On The Tracks or something...

Rick H. and Mechanical Man like this.
  8. Bern

Bern JC4Me

My first thought was Harrison's "Extra Texture". Remember feeling underwhelmed and never warmed up to it. (Jackson Browne's "Hold Out" also comes to mind).

Bern

9. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

Beatles - Sgt. Pepper. Overall, a massive disappointment to me when I first (and subsequently) heard it.
    Beatles - White Album - leaves Sgt. Pepper standing in the disappointment stakes. Awful, aside from about 5-6 tracks.
    Pink Floyd - Piper. Bought a CP32 cheap the other day... I'm going to try and 'educate' myself - at the time of writing I consider the album to be a bloody mess and, frankly, just boring.
    Bowie's debut - Found it an inconsequential let down.
    Babyshambles - Sequel To The Prequel - an absolute dog egg. First two albums were brilliant.

10. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

THE STONE ROSES - Second Coming

11. 7MusicFan6

7MusicFan6 Forum Resident

The Stones' Goats Head Soup when I first heard it (years after its release), shortly after having gotten into them via Hot Rocks, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Tattoo You. I thought they sounded completely out of juice. Now it is a favorite of mine.

Tori Amos: The Beekeeper, coming on the heels of the masterful Scarlet's Walk.

The Killers: Day & Age after an amazing first two albums. I like this one now.

joy stinson and mbrownp1 like this.
  12. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Again, U2's All That You Can't Leave Behind
    That's when I fully realized that the impossible would happen: band members reaching 40, stepping back etc... and releasing their first "rehash / non-important" album (not to be mistaken with bad)

13. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

There's been a few threads like this one, and the #1 answer is:

The Clash - Cut The Crap

14. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I'm curious: what albums did you unexpectedly enjoy?

astro70, joy stinson, intv7 and 3 others like this.
  15. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

You make it sound as if the point of the thread wasn't to list disappointments - which is what I think I did - ?

MGM likes this.
  16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Has at least three of their best songs.

17. James F. Hassan

James F. Hassan Forum Resident

In through the out door Led Zep. Still don't listen to it.

18. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Under The Pink-Tori Amos. Probably not a bad album, but I’d spent 2 years waiting for it after obsessing over Little Earthquakes and it just didn’t do it for me.

Southpaw Grammar-Morrissey.

19. Sci-Flyer

Sci-Flyer Forum Resident

Yeah Looking Forward springs to mind. I’m a big Crosby and Stills fan in particular but the only strong tracks to my ears belonged to Young. Not a bad album, just nothing special.

20. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Songs of Innocence was the end of U2 for this guy

21. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

*blue touch paper at the ready :whistle: *

Pink Floyd - The Endless River (as a standalone album, a sad bookend to the band's catalogue. As a curiosity, mildly interesting).
    Marillion - Radiation (the 2013 remix can't salvage the noise. Sorry, "music" :) )
    Barclay James Harvest - North (tepid, pedestrian, uninspired)

Roger Waters - Is This The Life We Really Want?
    Fish - Feast Of Consequences

The Waters and Fish albums will doubtless stir the ire of some but, for me, both are triumphs of naval gazing over any real originality. Waters' output is especially disappointing given the 25 year gap since his previous rock album and it has almost as many lifts from past material as Floyd's "...Endless River". Fish's FeastoC is lyrically competent (no more) but musically lacklustre to the point of being stale and boring.

May I thank Mr Hoffman for NOT including a "dislike" button for posts.... :D

22. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

I
    If we’re talking Aerosmith I found Get A Grip to be a huge disappointment. After the rawer and more concise Pump took a step back from the overtly commercial Permanent Vacation, this follow up felt like an overlong bloated mess of corporate cash ins and radio baiting drivel. No longer any flicker of rock n roll, now merely product.

23. Minstrel Boy

Minstrel Boy Forum Resident

Dylan, Down In The Groove.

I knew there'd been declining returns from Empire Burlesque to Knocked Out Loaded, but this one killed my initial obsessive-compulsive passion for Dylan. It's since become a flawed favourite, though, and I think with a few tweaks could have been much stronger. As the same with all of his '80s output.

24. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Joti Cover, barryalan, MGM and 12 others like this.
  25. Sci-Flyer

Sci-Flyer Forum Resident

I think the 5 year wait combined with the fact that for many my age the first Stone Roses album was the soundtrack of our teenage years meant that the follow up was always going to struggle to live up to expectations. Nevertheless a good album and agree there are a handful of great songs on it.

Defrance, IanM007 and DTK like this.