Your Biggest Album Disappointment

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Smack

Smack Shadows taller than our souls

WASP Inside The Electric Circus. I loved the first two albums. Hated the new look, the songs weren't as good and worst of all Randy was gone.

2. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Roger Waters - Is This The Life We Really Want?
    A Day at the Races - Queen.
    Rocks - Aerosmith. Never understood the love for this one. Nowhere near as powerful as the two previous albums. Rocks had too many weak filler tracks imo.
    Kid A - Radiohead. Huge disappointment for me. About a decade after it's release i started to like it and now own it again.
    Every David Gilmour album except his debut.
    Every Bjork album after Vespertine.

ausamerika, pexie and klockwerk like this.
  3. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

The one that springs to mind is fairly recent - Laurie Anderson's "Homeland". Critics seemed to like it, but when I finally listened to it I was completely underwhelmed. I found it kind of irritating, to be honest.

Cracklebarrel, Dog Ear and Moshe like this.
  4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

No filled out profile information; no comment.

5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Wow, I see that very differently. To me it’s Toys in the Attic that’s half killer cuts/half weaker ones. Rocks, on the other hand, doesn’t have a “Walk This Way” or “Sweet Emotion” but is far more consistent.

To each his own, I guess...

6. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I was literally about to type the same thing, knocked out at least had Brownsville girl....

7. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

This is true --and I'm a Neil Young partisan who has little use for most of the solo work of Crosby, Stills or Nash. The debut alum is much better than Deja Vu with Young and 1977's CSN is better by leaps and bounds over any of their subsequent albums in collaboration with Young. I think Neil's tendency to dominate the proceedings --in essence, sucking up all the energy in the room--is the reason. Artistically, they were much better off without him.
    Financially, that's another story.

joy stinson and IpseDixit like this.
  8. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Rocket from the Crypt- RFTC
    Sonic Youth- NYC Ghosts & Flowers
    Buffalo Tom- Smitten

Geee! likes this.
  9. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I had all those albums and I can't disagree with you. There are some good songs and a few interesting detours spread out among those albums but Neil's career may have been left for dead had he not followed up that string of disappointments with an equal number of stellar albums. The '80's were not Young's "decade."

MGM, joy stinson, pexie and 2 others like this.
  10. the pope ondine

randy newman 'born again', was a disappointment sail away/good ole boys genius, little criminals still great but born again I just couldn't get into

11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Maybe.......

1.Yardbirds
    Little Games

2. Eric Clapton
    Pilgrim

3.Who
    A Quick One

4.Doors
    Soft Parade

5.Kinks
    Preservation Act

12. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Are You Passionate made me stop buying new Neil Young albums (other than Crazy Horse stuff, but those haven't been too hot either).

vegafleet and DTK like this.
  13. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

McCartney - Press To Play
    Harrison - Extra Texture
    Starr - Goodnight Vienna
    Lennon - Walls and Bridges
    Neil Young - Trans; Landing on Water; Living With War; Fork in The Road; Le Noise
    Joni Mitchell - Don Juan's...; Mingus; Wild Things...; Dog Eat Dog
    James Taylor - Walking Man; Flag; Dad Loves His Work; Before This World
    The Monkees - Pool it; Justus

14. "Pipes Of Peace" by Paul McCartney
    Another George Martin produced album following up the great "Tug Of War" & it ended up his weakest album ever... ...although "Through Our Love" & "So Bad" are great moments...

I didn't expect Lou Reed's collaboration with Metallica to be great, but it deserves a mention here too as the poorest effort I've ever heard by any artist I ever really loved... sad way to go out...

15. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

This one. I've warmed up to it now but the debut literally changed my life and after that million year wait it was just... ugh.

One other: Primal Scream - Give Out But Don't Give Up. NOT a worthy sequel to Screamadelica. If the game had compiled the remixes from the singles/bsides and released that as an album? WINNER.

16. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

The winner for me is Van Halen 3 with Gary Cherone. I've told this story before - back in the mid 90's I was part of the Van Halen mailing list which often had insiders in the band including Valery and tour manager Scotty Ross posting. I had a weekend trip to San Francisco mainly to see my friend who'd moved out there and to see the Jane's Addiction ENIT reunion show in late '97. Van Halen webmaster lived out there and we got together for breakfast and naturally the subject of the upcoming album came up. He'd claimed he'd heard some of it and said it was like a mix of Fair Warning and F.U.C.K.... Well, when that turd was released early the following year, it was anything but that combination.

Other gigantic letdowns from their previous work include:

U2 - Songs Of Innocence
    Metallica - St Anger
    Bruce Springsteen - Working On A Dream
    Killing Joke - Outside The Gate
    J Geils Band - You're Getting Even While I'm Getting Odd
    Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzmosis
    Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
    Moby - Last Night
    Gary Moore - A Different Beat

17. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

I'd say Whitesnake '87 for me. Mostly because I am a huge fan of the Slide It In album and lineup. I was very disappointed to find that Cozy Powell, Neil Murray and especially John Sykes were gone by the time the album came out.

zen and Motorcity supernaut like this.
  18. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

Agreed! That was a bad run, especially after what he had produced up to that point.

19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I really like that record. It's very dark and angry. Would have been better with another backing band because it really is a Lou Reed album.

arthurprecarious likes this.
  20. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

I was disappointed equally by

The Doors - Waiting for the Sun
    Blind Faith - Blind Faith

21. the pope ondine

I liked all jts albums up to dad loves his work, that's why im here didn't move me and I loved him before that
    agree on George h, ET was dire

22. Cameron.39

Cameron.39 Forum Resident

What pressing do you have? I've got the 1st UK pressing, and it's absolutely stunning, other than a bit of distortion/sibilance on "Seaside Rendezvous".

For me, my biggest disappointment was the reunion album that the Hollies did with Graham Nash in 1983 called "What Goes Around...". It was just awful. None of their own compositions, and absolutely drenched in tacky 1980s synthesisers - sidelining two of their biggest assets as a group, Tony Hicks' lead guitar and Bobby Elliott's drums (which he was replaced on two tracks with a drum machine!). They went out on tour and covered CSN's "Teach Your Children" and "Wasted On The Way", the latter a very recent CSN release at the time, and the Hollies' version with Nash absolutely knocks the CSN version out of the park:

23. jparis51

jparis51 Forum Resident

Patti Smith's Twelve, the covers album I waited 30 years for. Generally uninspired song choices and lackluster performances. It should have come out 30 years sooner and included Jolene, My Generation, Be My Baby, Pale Blue Eyes and We're Gonna Have a Real Good Time Together, all standouts in her 70's shows. That PSG still owes us a killer live album.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    phillyal1, Moshe and Jimmy B. like this.
  24. "Iced Honey" is the one track I dug.
    I have it a fair chance when it came out- including approaching selected tracks fellow Lou freaks championed & then finally once more after his death

Glad you dig it, but it just really did not work for me

25. Don't forget "It's So Hard"!! Her great Lennon cover from back then!!

That said, I really dug "Twelve" myself.

Henry B, A6mzero, Rickchick and 2 others like this.