Your favorite depiction of an alien in a sci fi movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerryb, Feb 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That's Mr. Foghat

That's Mr. Foghat Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Twilight Zone... Season 2 Episode 28
    2 Aliens, 3 arms or 3 eyes, you pick :yikes:

Vidiot, beccabear67 and Manimal like this.
  2. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Nice. Mr Chambers......Mr. CHAMBERS!! We wouldn’t want you to....

Karnak likes this.
  3. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Twilight Zone= genius

4. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

From Heavy Metal

[​IMG]

5. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Oh wow man. Love it

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I own this movie and have watched it many times, yet I never thought of it that way. I just figured it was her father in heaven explain things to her. I will have to watch it again now.

Vidiot likes this.
  7. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

Favorite aliens? Man, I go back and forth - I love the cold, pure drive to survive of the alien in Alien. It's also one hell of a movie monster, too.

On the "more-rational, but no less-malevolent" side of the alien equation, I like Michael Rennie's Klaatu in The Day The Earth Stood Still. He's there to deliver a serious message, but still has a sense of wonder as he meets earthlings and tours Washington, D.C. with the kid. Klaatu's here on business though - and no kid or army is going to stop him from telling Earth "this is how it's gonna be"...

8. TheSaltman

TheSaltman Heaven or Las Vegas?

David Bowie in The Man Who Fell to Earth, obviously.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, the dialogue explains that the alien race took that form because it was comforting and familiar to her. I think it makes total sense in context. Religion is not the point of that movie at all. Writer Carl Sagan had some interesting theories trying to reconcile science with religion, but that wasn't part of Contact.

Longtime SF fans will recognize the invisible monster in Jonny Quest as a steal from Forbidden Planet: a monster you could only see when it went through a force field...

[​IMG]

10. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

That sounds very familiar, I think I just forgot about that, but I will try and watch it again this weekend.

11. Grey Alien

Grey Alien Forum Resident

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sil/Species

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I found Contact to be a profound and moving film, and that entire ending really hit me. I hope if we ever encounter real aliens, they're this thoughtful and compassionate.

14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I dunno, James Woods...? Scary! HE was probably the real alien!

15. That's the one I would pick too. Pretty bad ass.
    I agree with a few already listed as well. I also enjoyed the aliens from Galaxy Quest.

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Lordy did you see the latest The Predator ? Not the same class.

Butterfly Blue likes this.
  17. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I know a lot of folks hated Prometheus, but the design and visuals (and score) were areas where there was universal praise. The appearance of the engineers was awesome, as was the more traditional Geigerish aliens.

18. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I think those invisible id monster's from Forbidden Planet were pretty scary as a kid, and that was on B&W TV.

I think it was the electrical field and their abstractness that made them effective. Growing up we used to watch all of the early 1930's B&W horror movies and they were great. To me B&W makes for a scarier horror movie in general, because of the effective contrast ratio's that you can't achieve with color film.

At night, things are mostly B&W anyway and that is where monster's are at their scariest!

When the jump to color was made, there were some good monster remakes by Hammer Films, but without the B&W, things lost s scary edge the original's had.

Mel Brook's did well to use B&W as a medium. Imagine Young Frankenstein as a color movie? I hope not!

[​IMG]

When things went to color, monster's in rubber suits looked really fake.

I think the suspense of not being able to see the monster's as they did their horrific deeds was more suspenseful that having some sort of monster in a rubber suit tearing at doors, etc.

I still think that Forbidden Planet is and remains an excellent science fiction movie all around, to this day. Special effects, sets and all.

Vidiot likes this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

20. SandAndGlass

It is funny seeing the alien's wearing space suits on Earth.

Michael likes this.
  21. Michael

I guess our atmosphere doesn't agree with them...they're from Mars and it's a movie based on the 1962 Mars Attacks 55 Card Set...and that's how they looked....I was not happy what with Burton did to the wonderful card set making his movie a comedy...the card set back in 1962 was terrifying! It gave me nightmares when I was a kid!

rebellovw and SandAndGlass like this.
  22. SandAndGlass

I have a problem with Burton's adaptation's.

First, Edward Scissorhand's is an excellent movie all the way around and his use of darkness works perfectly there. They did have some nice daytime scenes and I di like the Florida pastel color schemes a lot.

I didn't care for Mars Attacks, I did not find really anything about the movie either amusing or enduring. Mostly stupid, yes.

When Burton did the remake of the Planet of the Apes, before I ever saw the movie (on DVD), I said to myself, I hope this is not going to be a "dark" movie to watch, and sure enough, it was "dark" all of the way through the movie. I thought this was completely unnecessary and made it a completely unwatchable movie for me.

After that movie, I never watched another of the remakes. The original series was well made and the first "apes" movie took place in the daylight and I didn't see any problem with that.

The Nightmare before Christmas was dark, but since it starts out in Halloween town, it makes sense for it to be dark.

Beetlejuice was dark, but here it fit in and worked perfectly, due to the nature of the movie.

Batman was dark, but then it should be The dark theme works well here. After all, Batman is The" Dark" Knight.

Sleepy Hollow, dark works well here too.

Dark Shadows, obviously a Tim Burton movie.

I have nothing against "dark" when the movie calls for it, but I don't like doing dark as a visual style, just for the sake of it.

I don't think he is not a very good Director/Producer, but there these things that he does to movies that are less than endearing, Like Chocolate Factory, which was pretty cold and sterile and had none of the warmth and character's of the original. Even Depp looked like he was made of plastic with a fixed expression.

rebellovw and Michael like this.
  23. Michael

I'm not a fan, but a few of his movies were watchable...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. SandAndGlass

He is generally a good director and producer, but he will do a 180 at times and put out a product that just does not work at any level.

Michael likes this.
  25. Michael

agreed...but I cannot forgive him for Mars Attacks!

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.