Your favorite pre '69 jazz records?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Donnelly, Apr 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy

Andy New Member

Midnight Blue

For jazz guitar fans Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue is great. I'm hoping Humorem can find a mint or mint- copy for me (I don't expect that to be cheap). I have a Japanese import of Midnight Blue it's a tad bright but way better than that thing they sell on amazon. The Blue Note Years compilation CD is also very good.

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Classic Jazz

All,

Night Train--Oscar Peterson Trio

Bob

3. Bob Donnelly

Bob Donnelly Senior Member Thread Starter

Metralla, Art Pepper plus 11 is one of my favorites also and I highly recommend it for those who don't have it. Superior sonics from Contemporary Records, Roy DuNann & Howard Holzer. Although I'm not a Big Band nut as much as smaller bands, this is an exception to that. The LP is easily found on the OJC reissue series and sound pretty good. The earlier slightly orange, Yellow label RI is the best sounding IMO. (Not to be confused with yellow Mono originals). MFSL did an aluminum CD that is the best CD of it. The JPN JVC version on CD is also good, but has to be the JVC.

4. Bob Donnelly

Andy, Email me at [email protected] regarding Kenny Burrell "Midnight Blue".

Bob L., Oscar is da man!

5. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

Bags & Trane - Milt Jackson / John Coltrane - great late night listening

John Coltrane & johnny Hartman - S/T - great make-out music;)

Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins - S/T - smoothe tenor sax with the greatest jazz composer

Miles Davis - Workin' / Cookin' - luv that muted horn!!

Mose Allison - Best of - "jazz sage"

6. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

"In Search of a New Land" by Lee Morgan

I first heard a performance of the title tune by Lee Morgan, on the Today Show...when the Today Show actually was a big outlet of jazz on Tv.

7. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

I'm also a Tina Brooks fan, a few years ago I purchased the Mosaic Box set featuring Tina Brooks Blue Note sides.

There's some great stuff with Lee Morgan and Blue Mitchell included.:)

8. Bob Donnelly

Ultron9, That is a great set! Even though it is on the set you might pick up "Back to the Tracks" from Classic Records. They did an awsome job on it. I had the original Japanese but it was vailed and flat compared to the Classic. I think you'll notice an improvement over the Mosaic as I have. Have you heard "Shades of Redd"? Tell me what you think?

9. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Let me put just one right now, on the table: "OUT OF THE COOL"-Gil Evans
    :cool: Has anyone ever heard the sequel:"INTO THE HOT"???????:confused:

10. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

All CD's:
    Ben Webster - Soulville (Verve Japan)
    Ellington - Far East Suite - Special Mix
    Don Wilkerson - Complete Blue Note Sessions
    June Christy - Something Cool (New Capital Stereo/Mono)
    Art Blakey - Paris Jam Session (Gitanes)

11. Bob Donnelly

I find it interesting the threads that are somewhat negative or are whining about something get double or triple the posts that the positive ones do.
    Anyway, anyone like Booker Ervin?

12. Bob Donnelly

Ronflugelguy, I love "Out of the Cool", The second I'm not so hot on! Doesn't seem to have the same energy. I'd say 7 out of 10 of the Impulse jazz I like and have excellent sonics. Can't go wrong there.

13. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

Kayaker,

Great selections ! Ad Lib On Nippon from the Far East Suite is my all time favorite Ellington tune and probably my favorite overall jazz tune as well. Glad you like it as well !

Best - ED

14. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

A little late to the party, but here is a single recommendation to start with. Not saying this is my favorite, because there are FAR too many before '69. I know the topic is post your fav, but how about just seeing if I can get some that weren't mentioned. I am huge Clifford Brown fan, what a waste that he died when he did. At any rate, the verve master edition of "Clifford Brown and Max Roach" is great music and a very good transfer. It's a touch bright on top, but other then that really nice. Clifford had a really unique sound on the trumpet and you can really hear it in full effect on these originals and standards. The music however is just amazing stuff. Have a listen and enjoy some great music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.