Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Here it is,if you dont have the cd you got to buy it.

melstapler likes this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Bear Family's original concept was to be different from the many reissue companies that did mostly compilations. They were about music history that was typically not otherwise available.

melstapler, baptistbusman and RSteven like this.
  3. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

I'll chime in to say I was so used to thinking of Bear Family as "that box set company" that I kind of ignored their single disc comps and smaller sets for a long time. As PhantomStranger mentioned above, there are some artists that I really want that immersive BF box set experience, and others that I wanna have in my collection, but where a smaller set will do. I like having the options and, especially in this age of grey market, cd-r, public domain releases, I appreciate knowing that when I buy a Bear Family release it's gonna be high quality and made with real respect for the listener and artist. So all around, I'm beyond satisfied with BF.

4. Svein Arne

Sometimes a record label make a great cheap CD box set with its own artist.Like this one, cheap and it got a book and DVD.It is this version from USA,that is best:
    https://www.amazon.com/there-season...byrds+cd+season&qid=1561267458&s=music&sr=1-2
    People will play this in the future:

:winkgrin:

melstapler and PhantomStranger like this.
  5. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Well said and what a glaring omission. This release missed the opportunity to include the 'Flat No.3' track which remains unavailable on CD and wasn't included on the 8CD "Home And Away 1960-1970" comprehensive box. If 'Flat No.3' had been included, it would've made this new 1CD an essential purchase even for those who already own the box.

These 1CD comps released by Bear Family make excellent gifts for new fans of a particular artist and the thorough mini-booklet and enjoyable artwork add to the listening experience. As our friend @PhantomStranger noted, a compilation is easier to swallow compared to a comprehensive box set.

There have been times where I couldn't justify purchasing a box set as a gift for a friend or relative, but most of these 1CD comps dig fairly deep and that allows the listener to immerse themselves in the artist's music and story which is priceless.

John Porcellino and jimbo3688 like this.
  6. Svein Arne

melstapler likes this.
  7. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

It's the same as the stereo version on the box. (It's explained in the new booklet's session discography: identical matrix no.).

8. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

My family just got me the Bakersfield box for my birthday in August. They don’t know they got it, but they did. :p

9. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Took another listen to the first disc of Smiley Lewis' complete set on Monday in remembrance of Dave Bartholomew. Here's yet another instance of rock-before-rock which Bartholomew co-wrote, arranged, and produced:

Negative. It's a live performance from 1958, no telling what the sound is like.

Bob Wills And His Texas Playboys* - On Stage

melstapler likes this.
  10. Svein Arne

Thanks.I am gonna buy it.:righton::tiphat:

baptistbusman and melstapler like this.
  11. John Porcellino

Couldn't find the George Jones Starday box at any of the usual US outlets, so I ordered one on Monday from "Amazon Global Store UK." It shipped from Barcelona on Tuesday and arrived in Southern Wisconsin this morning! Pretty amazing.

When I saw the shipment I panicked a bit... Oversized, thin shipping box, crushed from the top with both ends split open, and one bit of wrinkled packing paper wadded in one end as "protection"... But miraculously, aside from a small tear in the shrink-wrap, the box made it just fine!

melstapler, spanky1, maloney and 5 others like this.
  12. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

The last 4 or 5 I have ordered from Amazon UK have showed up like this, with no damage to the box at all. The 2 that I had that were damaged, I was given like $25.00 back for each one.

I make sure to take pictures of the box before I even open it just in case the contents are torn to pieces.

melstapler likes this.
  13. John Porcellino

I did exactly that! Boy, was I worried as I opened up the package.

14. Svein Arne

15. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I love Bob Wills, and own both of the monster Bear Family sets. In addition, after years of searching, I finally found the 10 cd set of the Tiffany Transcriptions that Collector's Choice Music released several years ago. I think this was merely a collection of the individual albums, but the box was nice to house them, and there was a booklet as well. In addition, Gordon Anderson's new company REAL GONE MUSIC(not the European PD company) released 2 additional cds of Tiffany Transcriptions a few years back. The sound quality is pretty decent, so I'm not sure that Bear Family would be interested in releasing this again.

My introduction to Bob Wills was through the Rhino 2-disc ANTHOLOGY. I noticed that the Tiffany tracks really stood out, so I made it my mission to get the Tiffany Transcriptions box. If I could only keep 1 of my 3 boxes, I'd keep the Tiffany Transcriptions simply because I think the tracks are that much better than the regular studio versions. Very loose atmosphere. Any true Bob Wills fan has got to find these cds. If you can't get the box, at least get the individual cds.

16. Svein Arne

BOB WILLS AND HIS TEXAS PLAYBOYS > The Tiffany Transcriptions « American Songwriter
    The Tiffany Transcriptions | Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys Tiffany Transcriptions 1946 & '47

melstapler and spanky1 like this.
  17. baptistbusman

Can't find them anywhere in print. Anytime the set comes up on ebay, it sells for big money. The Real Gone set is out of print and the jerks won't even answer my emails to let me know if it will ever be reprinted. I just doubt Bear Family can get the masters. Whomever owns them must love the fact they are sitting on a shelf and no one can get them. It kind of reminds me of the guy at the end of my road with all these classic cars sitting in his field rotting away, if you ask about buying them he will say "they are staying right there!"

18. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Wow, I had no idea that the Real Gone set was hard to find. I didn't even see any completed auctions on Ebay for it. I did see that a copy of the 10-cd set sold in April for ~$50. It was missing the 10th disc, but that was the McKinney Sisters disc, and it's one that I would omit if I had to choose one. Good luck, it's well worth the search.

melstapler likes this.
  19. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

I have the 10-cd set but I've been looking for the 2-cd set of the Unreleased Recordings for years with no luck...

melstapler and baptistbusman like this.
  20. Most Real Gone CDs get pricey once they go out of print. They don't overmanufacture and have largely existed in the waning years of CD sales. They may not sell more than 1500 units for many of their releases, and most of those sales go to collectors that don't willingly give up their CDs.

21. Svein Arne

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I think they would give them up in a flash if they received a visit from The Phantom Stranger, with or without his hat

[​IMG]

PhantomStranger and melstapler like this.
  23. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

An heir of Cliff Sundin actually owns the Tiffany Transcriptions, but Rhino has exclusive licensing rights, as I understand it. That's how Collector's Choice and Real Gone issued their sets, through Rhino. I would think if a company could come up with enough money, they could put together a complete Tiffany collection. But it likely wouldn't be cost effective to do it. Shame the Real Gone set is OP ... that was very well done and ALL the Tiffanys should sound that good.

24. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

I told myself I wasn't going to buy any more box sets until Fats and Bakersfield, but of course the Speedy West & Jimmy Bryant set had to show up for a good price a couple weeks ago.

Tell me about it! Lately I've been looking for Barbara Lynn's Atlantic recordings reissued by Real Gone a few years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Atlantic-Recordings-Barbara-Lynn/dp/B00M7T9HR4

Rick Bartlett and melstapler like this.
  25. baptistbusman

I said the same thing, then Ricky Nelson “For You,” Bill Clifton and the final Bill Monroe box came up for a good price ;)

melstapler likes this.