Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

2. Svein Arne

3. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

melstapler likes this.
  4. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Johnny Powers is fantastic, just be aware the Rollercoaster set also includes a bunch of softer teen-idol stuff and more recent recordings. If you just want the cream of his classic rockabilly, the Norton CD is the way to go.

Fun fact: Powers was employed by Motown in the 60's, making him possibly the only person to work at both Sun and Motown, albeit one gig in front of the mic and the other behind it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  5. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Amazing you can still find new stuff, I'm sure he'll be on a comp somewhere in the racks, dont know why he didn't appear on my rock and roll radar before in any meaningful way.

melstapler likes this.
  6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Johnny Powers appeared 'down under' as Johnny 'Scat' Brown.
    There's a story behind all that, you can read about some of it here....
    Johnny "Scat" Brown - Indeed I Do
    The flip side was 'Splish Splash', while credited to Johnny 'Scat' Brown aka Johnny Powers,
    it is somebody else entirely different.
    [​IMG]
    Great Rocker this is!
    Quite a rare one to find down here and can go for a few pennies,
    usually the 45's are pretty destroyed that pop up.

The Killer and melstapler like this.
  7. Svein Arne

Powers, Johnny (RCS Artist Discography)

melstapler likes this.
  8. JEff Schultz

JEff Schultz Well-Known Member

Received mine today in an Amazon box that looked like it starred in the Samsonite commercial with gorillas. Contents were ok. <WHEW!>

John Porcellino likes this.
  9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Country legend Ruby Falls (1946-1986) is due for a proper reissue CD containing all or some of her studio recordings. Due to her premature death in 1986, Ruby's back catalog has been severely neglected and she's been largely forgotten by record labels and even some country music fans.
    [​IMG]

Front 242 Addict and The Killer like this.
  10. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I know I've asked this before (and probably will ever so often), but: Anyone have any leads/info on The Carter Sisters/later Carter Family on CD (aside from the Anita Bear box)?

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

There are the radio broadcast cds

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I believe it. My box arrived from Amazon UK
    The shipping container had the usual crumpled paper but the set was mint and undamaged. Personally I wish BF used conventional jewel boxes. These are ok when new but when those nibs break, and they often do, they cannot be restored.

Svein Arne and baptistbusman like this.
  13. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

The Amazon packaging used for the Bakersfield box was all smashed and torn up. I'll post pics later tonight (havent looked inside yet)

14. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

Just received the Starday Custom box, all the way from the UK... A box that four days ago I didn't even know existed.

Gotta love the $teve Hoffman Forums! :cool:

15. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

The Porter Wagoner/Dolly Parton set is the only Bear Family box I own, but I absolutely love it. Truly steller in both sound quality and packaging/art direction. I ordered it from Amazon in the United States when it was released. Now I'm attempting to do the same with The Bakersfield Sound box. The price is a little high compared to what some of you all have already received the box for. However, it's cheaper than ordering directly from Bear Family's web site in spite of the sale going on over there at the moment. Amazon US claims The Bakersfield Sound will be released on October 11 so, technically, it's a pre-order. Has anyone else ordered this box set from Amazon US and is (im)patiently waiting for it like me? Should I just cancel and order it elsewhere?

DEAN OF ROCK likes this.
  16. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I love the Porter/Dolly set as well. A truly terrific sounding box set.

17. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

I've ordered a few things directly from Bear when they had a sale...they pack things so well, deliver promptly (with almost minute by minute tracking) BUT the customs $$ will kill ya.

Get2Me likes this.
  18. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

The Porter and Dolly set was my first Bear Family box, too!

I pre-ordered the Bakersfield box through ImportCDs. For a very long time they had release date listed as today, 9/13/19 -- just checked their site and now it shows as 10/11. Bummer.

Get2Me, Svein Arne and RSteven like this.
  19. One of my biggest music regrets is passing on a new Wagoner/Parton box for $40.:cry: It was years before I had gotten into Dolly's music and didn't think I needed their complete partnership.

20. Reeves/Cooper fan

Reeves/Cooper fan New Member

Hi all, I'm not new to the Steve Hoffman forums but this is my first post. Of course, the bear box sets that I own would be my favorites. All 4 of the George Jones box sets, Jim Reeves Welcome to my world box set, Jim Reeves radio days Vol 1 and Vol 2, Nashville Stars on Tour and the Marty Robbins Under Western Skies box set. A very modest collection as compared to my classic 1920's to 1960's movie collection of 10000 plus.

I was reading through this forum and saw the rumors and totally untrue info on the speeded up songs on welcome to my world box set that was started by the overdub guy who has attacked Bear family records for years. No sense in bringing that all back up again. My question is on another box set. It is the Johnny Horton 9 CD Box set that also has people talking about speeded up songs to fit on disc. There seems to be some truth to this one as it has been commented by several people and it is a shame as I was thinking about pulling the trigger on this one. I guess I will have to go with the Tex Ritter High noon box set instead. I do already have a cheapo Johnny Horton set that has like 6 of his albums on it that is pretty good. but the two hard back book and completeness of the new box set was really tempting when I first saw it.

I love that the George Jones Birth of a legend has such a huge hard back book in it. The only other box set I have with a hardback book is the Nashville stars on Tour. I noticed that Welcome to my world and the first 3 George Jones box sets are now out of print on the bear web site. Perhaps they are getting re-issued with hard back books and more outtakes. I probably won't get them again as these sets are rather on the expensive side. I got the birth a legend from county sales and it was the last one they had in stock for 125 dollars. I was so glad to get it to complete the collection. BGO is releasing a 4 CD Epic recordings set that has his 70's gospel album and the Battle/Memories of us on it. This will complete it for me for George Jones as I only collected up till the end of the 80's except to his 1999 album. There are still some box sets that I probably pick up some day such as the large Ray Price set.

21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Welcome to this fine forum, Reeves/Cooper fan. I am glad you decided to make your first post on this great Bear Family favorite thread. I too count Jim Reeves Welcome To My World box sets as one of my favorites. I am also delighted to tell you about the brand new Jim Reeves' Expanded Edition CD of Twelve Days Of Christmas that will be coming out November 8th from Real Gone Music. I was honored to be chosen to do the liner notes for the album and although you have all of those holiday songs on that truly great Bear Family box set, since one of the songs was recorded on a separate session a year later, the holiday songs are not altogether on one disc. We were also extremely lucky to have Mr. Vic Anesini at Battery Studios in New York be placed in charge of the remastering of Jim's iconic holiday album. Mr. Aneseni is well known on this fine forum for his spectacular work on restoring Elvis Presley's entire catalogue back to true sonic glory, something that I actually mention in the liner notes for the CD.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

It would sure help people if the guy who wrote the liner notes for the album (your's truly) got the title of Jim's holiday album correct; Twelve Songs Of Christmas!

23. Svein Arne

24. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Welcome! Given the size of your film collection, I'm surprised you don't have any sets by actors like Ann-Margaret, Robert Mitchum, or Rock Hudson & Doris Day. On the C&W side of the fence, there's a gigantic ten-disc set of classic John Wayne movie soundtrack recordings.

John Wayne Box set: John Wayne's West - In Music And Poster Art (10-CD & 1-DVD) - Bear Family Records

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    RSteven likes this.
  25. Svein Arne

I got that box.Amazing good sound from these old movies from the 50s.Almost everything from these 50s recordings are in stereo.

RSteven likes this.