Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

The Killer likes this.
  2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

The status of Merle's unreleased recordings is very strange, if not frustrating. I could be wrong, but the management of Merle's legacy seems very uninspired and stagnant. Posting memories of Merle on his official Facebook is likely to only reach a small number of obsessive fans and isn't enough to truly preserve his legacy. Johnny Cash perished in 2003 and by 2005, we saw numerous CD releases to coincide with the "Walk The Line" film. What would Merle's estate gain from sitting on these recordings for so many years after his passing?

When it comes to Buck Owens, we've been very fortunate because of Jim Shaw, a longtime sound engineer and musician in the Buckaroos and business manager for Buck. Working as an executive for Buck Owens Production Co., Shaw was also executive producer for the 1992 Rhino boxed set entitled "The Buck Owens Collection: 1959-1990." Many fans will also recall Shaw's work on the "Buck Em" series released by Omnivore.

3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Right on Mel.
    So do we know what exactly is the issue of Merle and releasing unreleased recordings?
    Being 2019, it seems like all we are doing is going backwards in terms of an artists release in vintage recordings....
    I can understand for a new and modern artist, but when these are old and dated recordings, it really bothers me.
    Cue.....Patsy Cline?
    It seems like we're getting further and further away from the source material and access to it to the music we love.....
    :cry:

edit: Isn't that what an artist wants? More speculation, more sales, more promotion????
    Geez! Apparently Not.

The Killer and melstapler like this.
  4. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

5. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

This is EXACTLY how mine arrived today. Outer box totally destroyed, inner product box broken corner. They offered me a 20 Euro refund.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  6. Rick Bartlett

A shoutout for this bad boy! I really REALLY love this collection and it's book.
    Sonic Bliss! With the Mono and Stereo mixes too!
    I have a brother named David, so who do you think I was named after?
    :rolleyes:
    This guy has always been a part of my life.
    Ricky Nelson.
    [​IMG]

7. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hope you didn't accept, that kind of damage is worth more than 20 Euros.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  8. EddieMann

No, I took it. The top cover of the box has one broken corner. Very much similar but about half as bad as the picture Hotshotskings posted above. I don't want to have to send this back to Germany and wait for another box. Life's too short to be without great music. :agree:

9. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

Not that anyone else would do this, but I could get rich if someone paid me 20 Euros to break a corner on every one of my Bear Family boxes.

I'm pretty bad at get rich quick schemes, so I would need the money upfront. After that, I just might skip town and take my undamaged boxes with me.

10. EddieMann

Believe me, the thought did cross my mind lol.

11. Years ago, I ordered the Roy Orbison box from Amazon. When it arrived with split seams, they gave me 20% back on the purchase. I've heard they are far less charitable these days with situations like damaged product.

12. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Forum Resident

found a good deal on Amazon.com for the Carl Story box. The addiction continues.......

By the way, there sure are some psycho's on that Ken Burns thread....hope they stay over there and don't try to get our Bear Family sets.....

13. GodBlessTinyTim

Looking to pick up Johnnie & Jack's box next. Even before the vocals kick in, you can always tell a J&J song from either the maracas playing rhumba rhythm or Shot Jackson's distinctive ultra-twangy dobro fills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrWTmobUijo

14. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

Is it out of print now? I am guessing that many BF boxes are now out of print.

15. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

No. Most of Bear Family's box sets are still available.

16. Rick Bartlett

That should be a part of the 'Law' anyway.
    :tiphat:

melstapler likes this.
  17. PeterH

PeterH Well-Known Member

18. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

Wait that's not out yet....I was all prepared to order it but noticed the word preorder on the label's website (2020 release). Lol

melstapler and baptistbusman like this.
  19. hotshotskings

Ken Burns' Country Music is just another reminder that we need a large Loretta Lynn box set for all her 1960s and 1970s albums (31 solo and 9 with Conway Twitty)!

20. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

That blows me away that none of her albums from that time period have made it to cd!!

SGR and melstapler like this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

A bit of memory lane and some darn good history.
    George Jones and Johnny Paycheck.
    These guys are so close in the pocket, you do get the feeling they were soul brothers.

22. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Forum Resident

Raven had put out a couple CDs reissuing 4 of her 60’s albums, but they are long out of print. And in the past there have been a few like Coal Miners Daughter and others, but once again they are long out of print. And now that universal let the masters burn up, I doubt we ever see anything rereleased that we haven’t already had.

23. hotshotskings

24. GodBlessTinyTim

It is indeed. The copy I ordered was a reasonable price and signed by Johnnie Wright... but the shipping was $35 US, so that kind of hurt.

25. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

I hit a used record shop this weekend and found 18 Bear Family single CDs that I did not already have, all at good bargains. That was very nice! This hardly ever happens. The dealer said there were about 20 BF boxsets as well, but they were all snapped up earlier.

The Bear Family single discs are just as special as their boxes. If BF finds it too costly and complex to issue large boxes at the rate they once did, I wish they would pursue single discs, especially devoted to individual artists. That should be more feasible in the current market.