Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll confess, I had never heard of Judy Lynn until your posts. Several sites list her discography as stretching back to the early 50's, but I believe it's a different Judy Lynn who sang traditional pop on Coral Records. She must have been darn near the only female country singer who wore a cowboy hat in the Nashville Sound era.

MerseyBeatle and AlmanacZinger like this.
  2. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Lynn's wiki page attributes many 50s singles to her but I could only find maybe one, in Discogs. Not sure who is correct there. Anyway, Judy was known for running a tight ship and giving a good show. Her legacy should be preserved and respected (like so many other deserving artists). Hopefully someone will rise up to the task.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  3. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I finally came across the Sons of the Pioneers' Songs of the Prairie box at a reasonable price, and in a lot with another of their set's I didn't yet have.

4. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

A SUN release i recommend,it is great:

:righton::tiphat:

melstapler and baptistbusman like this.
  5. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Faron Young Radio Shows by Bear Family; were these released as digital only?

melstapler likes this.
  6. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Very interesting. Are these the same radio shows which were released by the Country Stars label as 3 different CD volumes? Those recordings are excellent and some feature country legend Darrell McCall as well.

The Killer and Vintage1976 like this.
  7. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

I think some are different. The BF one shows the label as And More Bears by Richard Weize. The digital releases on Amazon show 7 volumes. I haven't cross referenced to see if the track lists are the same as the Country Stars three volume set.

https://www.amazon.com/Faron-Young-Radio-Shows-Show/dp/B07BGHTM14/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=faron+young+radio+shows&qid=1601566002&refinements=p_n_feature_browse-bin:625150011&rnid=625149011&s=dmusic&sr=1-5

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    melstapler likes this.
  8. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Edited my last comment for clarity.

9. melstapler

These look great! It's a shame they're only offered as downloads at the moment, but hopefully Bear Family can release them in the near future either as 1CD comps or as a box set. I recall our friend @Mychael had hinted at the possibility of a second Faron Young box set, although it's been a few years ago.

bstone1994 likes this.
  10. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

If a second Faron Young boxset was ever thought of, I have plenty of mid '60s and '70s memorabilia and ephemera including one of his Nudie suits.

11. melstapler

How neat!

Vintage1976 likes this.
  12. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Although I love his Capitol work, I really like his Mercury sides.

Twin fiddles and that steel, just crank for me.

melstapler likes this.
  13. melstapler

Definitely. During the 60s, Faron found his definitive sound and stuck with what worked so well for him as a singer and interpreter. If a second box set is released someday, hopefully it will include Faron's early 1980s sessions produced by Casey Anderson which resulted in 'Are You Hungry? Eat Your Import!' This particular song was written by Liz Anderson.
    [​IMG]

bstone1994 and Vintage1976 like this.
  14. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Check out the CD and digital release of this; it adds three songs never issued!

Showboat Records | Eat Your Import - Faron Young

melstapler likes this.
  15. melstapler

How neat! Do you have the physical copy or the download? I'm curious to know if this title is a replicated "real" CD or a dreaded CD-R.

16. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

I have the digital copy I bought through Amazon. But, I did order the physical CD from that link.

17. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

My favourite Bear Family release today:

Little Richard ‎– The Formative Years 1951—53 (BCD 15448)
    [​IMG]

18. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Bobby Bare / Shel Silverstein should be shipping soon, yes?

RSteven likes this.
  19. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Today, actually.

20. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Such a great collection......
    I wish I held off on buying all the 2 fer CD's and Deluxe Cd's now over the last 20 years by some great labels.
    When I worked out what I was missing, it wasn't a whole lot more than on this BF set.
    :cry:
    Obviously, the audio will be a huge grade above, I can hear that in the samples, but there is not a lot extra
    as to what I have previously bought, which puts me on the shelf......
    Arrrhhh!
    That's just me personally, and nothing to do with the box set.
    I would still love it, but my incentive is less because of those previous purchases on other great labels.
    In the words of 'Jerry Lee', another place, another time, I'll pick it up......
    Meanwhile...... How's the ol' Johnny Paycheck box set looking?
    I'd throw down a deposit today for that.

melstapler and rod like this.
  21. PeterH

PeterH Forum Resident

Just received my copy, looks great!

Mychael, Juggsnelson and RSteven like this.
  22. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

[​IMG]

This

23. bstone1994

bstone1994 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words and welcome reminder about the JSP sets of Delmore Brothers material—I have the first (Classic Cuts, 1933-1941) and also several compilations by County Records and Ace (their King sides), but would be great to have these all sequenced in a BF box with great documentation.

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  24. jimbo3688

jimbo3688 Forum Resident

DHL is saying mine will be delivered to Arizona on Tuesday.

25. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

It seems like a slight missed opportunity that Johnny Cash's very first recording has never made it into a BF set (or any official release to my knowledge).

Likewise it would've been nice if Jerry Lee Lewis' four known pre-Sun demos had been tacked on to the complete Sun box for posterity. These have been published, but only on otherwise-redundant compilations from Time Life and El Toro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agcnpnSPEQQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbcVgr1JiEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxTsxs0rd-M
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsmiazZVCyE

Maybe a single and 7" EP, respectively?