Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

2. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Thanks for that Mel, it was great. Really love western swing, and I'd listened to Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys as well as Milton Brown and His Musical Brownies. This was really good as well, and I'll have to admit that I hadn't heard of them.

melstapler likes this.
  3. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Thanks, Spanky! Western swing is the best and I'm so glad you liked this group. You may also enjoy The Tune Wranglers, another band who were part of the same scene and same region during the same time period. The Tune Wranglers formed in 1935 and also recorded Spanish language songs under the name Tono Hombres. Through the years, some of the members of The Tune Wranglers also played for Jimmie Revard, which means both groups were interconnected. The Tune Wranglers recorded an estimated 80 songs and it's been stated that there are additional recordings in the vaults and I will provide additional details below.
    [​IMG]
    Although the band's leader-founder-singer-guitarist John "Buster" Coward (1903-1976) is no longer with us, his grandchild operates an official Tune Wranglers Facebook page and possesses tapes of previously unreleased recordings which have not been transferred to digital. This is a similar situation to that of Al Dexter's posthumous 3CD collection "Found Masters," which was officially issued by his son on the family's label during the 2000s. Despite the fact that those independent recordings were made at various studios and many years after Dexter's major label career prime, they feature some excellent players and his vocals sound great as well.

The Tune Wranglers
    The Tune Wranglers Facebook page

As stated in a post by Buster's grandkid, "hello all, I'm in the process of figuring out how to get all of The Tune Wranglers songs off of an old reel to reel tape onto the computer. My mother made it in 1963 for my grandfathers, Buster Coward 60th birthday. It includes all home recordings never heard by anyone except our family. Any ideas or knowledge as to how to do this please feel free to pass it on. God Bless you all and stay close to Jesus!"
    [​IMG]
    Bear Family Records or another competent reissue label should consider issuing a comprehensive box set containing the complete recorded output of The Tune Wranglers. The fact that Buster's family have unreleased tapes in their vaults should be seen as an opportunity to document history and release this excellent music. The Tune Wranglers deserve to be heard by listeners around the world.

'Rancho Grande' was released in 1936.
    [​IMG]
    Buster and Lady Coward in 1965
    [​IMG]
    Buster playing guitar in front of an airplane around 1971 or possibly 1972
    [​IMG]
    Buster smiling for the camera

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  4. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I'll check them out, thanks

melstapler likes this.
  5. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

[​IMG]
    Country legend Price Mitchell helped to define the phrase country-soul with his unique vocals and arrangements. His rendition of the 1959 Lloyd Price song 'Personality' was a top 40 hit on the country charts, reaching #29 in 1975. We need for Bear Family records or a competent reissue label to release a CD anthology including his "Mr. Country Soul" LP in its entirety. That record was originally released on GRT. Mitchell could also contribute to liner notes and might even have recordings in his personal vaults which could be used to help tell his story to new generations of classic country music fans on a global level.

'Personality' by Price Mitchell
    [​IMG]
    "The Best Of Price Mitchell" LP

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  6. Svein Arne

Similar to Joe Stampley.

melstapler likes this.
  7. Svein Arne

8. LloydTheVoid

LloydTheVoid /ˈrez(ə)dənt/ Denizen

The first James Intveld CD.

[​IMG]

The Killer likes this.
  9. Svein Arne

LloydTheVoid likes this.
  10. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

11. Svein Arne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCWKHHx8v1o

The Killer likes this.
  12. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

13. Svein Arne

14. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

It's now $182.17 plus tax on Amazon USA. Go get it!

15. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Any chance of the Claude King boxset coming back?

16. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

17. hotshotskings

We need a box set of Wayne Raney and/or The Raney Family

Cousin It and Record Rotator like this.
  18. hotshotskings

My first time hearing Wayne Raney was the following song from the album Country & Western Hit Parade: Dim Lights, Thick Smoke and Hillbilly Music: 1958

19. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Will the updated version of Come Along And Ride This Train feature the same cover artwork (which I loved)? Any unreleased material?

20. Nosferatuz

Nosferatuz Forum Resident

Their "Rocks" series is simply outstanding! I have Little Richard, Gene Vincent, Big Joe Turner, Eddie Cochran, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Wanda Jackson and Carl Perkins. Superb sequenced records with absolutely breathtaking sound. Wish I had more of them.

21. Svein Arne

This will be the 3rd time it is updated.I got 2 different versions of it,only some differences in logos.

Record Rotator likes this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My copies of the Cash Bear Family boxes came from the collection of an elderly lady, older than Johnny Cash's mother, who was Johnny Cash's No. 1 fan. She had literally dozens and dozens of letters he had written to her, even more photos of her with Johnny, and the biggest collection of scrapbooks about Johnny.

She has been gone for many years.

23. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Same box, same music as before. Updated and expanded booklet has now 44 pages, full session discography, additional cover photo session outtakes and more.

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Again, will Bear Family offer to sell the updated books to its faithful customers who have previously bought the CD box sets?

If not, why not?

Reader and rod like this.
  25. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

I guess people should buy the damn box sets after all. ;-)