Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Good question. I know nobody wants a warehouse full of unsold releases but this is silly. Have they underestimated the number that could be sold?

This is the kind of item that should be around for at least a few months. I can't believe with all or most of the songs being obscure that there was a limit to how many could be sold. Guess I'll just keep my money in my pocket if BeSharp doesn't want it. I don't like instant collectables.

2. 2scoops

2scoops Forum Resident

I am interested where the Alabama box is available if it is nearly sold out. I have only purchased other Be! boxes from Bear Family, who currently list it on their website with a release date of December 15th. Or is this what you refer to, as in practically sold out on advance orders.

Thank you for the information Mychael.

rod likes this.
  3. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

UnBear stuff but just picked this up for a measly £3.50, what could possibly go wrong...

[​IMG]

4. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Texas bluesman Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown is getting the Rocks treatment, and That'll Flat Git It returns to Capitol for its 37th instalment.

Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown CD: Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown - Rocks (CD) - Bear Family Records

Vol.37 - Rockabilly & Rock 'n' Roll From The Vaults Of Capitol Records (CD) CD: Vol.37 - Rockabilly & Rock 'n' Roll From The Vaults Of Capitol Records (CD) - Bear Family Records

Will Wilhoit's album be available through the BF website?

Electric Sydney likes this.
  5. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

The Killer likes this.
  6. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

As it's not yet released there'll be plenty of copies of the Alabama Box in the shops once it's available.

And no-one at BE Records "underestimated" anything. They know the stores and outlets that stock these things (and how many copies they take), and that determines the amount that gets produced.
    Different business model from Bear Family, obviously.

7. Svein Arne

LoveandTheft likes this.
  8. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

The Killer likes this.
  9. GodBlessTinyTim

In a similar vein to Vernon Oxford or Darrell McCall, it would be cool if BF assembled some stuff by Norman Wade. He didn't begin recording until the late 70's, by which time his sound was already 25 years too late.

10. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

still heart-broken that this release never happened .. there was a lot to look forward to

Patsy Cline: Patsified!

11. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yeap, a lot of broken hearts around about that release.
    If any influential female Country artist should have a career defining box set, it's Patsy hands down.
    It's one thing for a box set to go out of print, but this one didn't even get a chance to spread it's wings.
    Very sad.

12. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

This seems rather unbelievable! I have quite a few Bear Family boxes and assumed I would get to the Patsy one eventually.

AlmanacZinger, D-rock and RSteven like this.
  13. The Killer

I've got a couple of Norman Wade CDs, classic country. Pretty sure they're independent releases. He's like James Hand's dad.

melstapler likes this.
  14. The Killer

Just looked up James Hand (after above post), he died in June, completely missed that. I saw James Hand at the Borderline in London supporting Dale Watson, great act. Rest easy Slim.

Did you see this @melstapler?

melstapler likes this.
  15. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

16. GodBlessTinyTim

I would assume the artwork was modified at some point prior to release and some sites were given the old cover by mistake. I recently got a CD from Ace with a similar mixup. Some sites show a cover picture with Irma Thomas, Rick Hall, and Max Cooperstein instead of the actual cover which is a somewhat unflattering shot of Irma Thomas alone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

Christmas On The Range has an average DR 0f 6: disappointed. Hard to understand.

18. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

The one I received is actually the same art as on the Bear Family site.

19. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Svein Arne and PhantomStranger like this.
  20. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Once again, blown away by the book in the Red Simpson boxset.

Great reading!

21. Svein Arne

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  22. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

When the book and the box were printed and ready to ship, Red Simpson was still playing at a local bar once a week. When Bear Family presented him with the finished article he was clearly overwhelmed. While leafing through the book he commented, »Ha, most of it is even true....!«

23. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

PhantomStranger and DR.J like this.
  24. Svein Arne

Will volume 3 be released?
    We want more Jim Reeves releases.:wantsome:

PhantomStranger likes this.
  25. Night Beat

Night Beat Well-Known Member

What does everyone think about older Bear Family vinyl releases? I have my eye on "Rave On" a Waylon Jennings comp from 1978 and thought I would post before pulling the trigger.