Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

I guess one "reason" is that the "reissues" you mention are quite shady semi-legal versions. (The »Outtakes« set is not a reissue, but a set specifically compiled to gather all the various versions of songs floating about)
    The Sony/Legacy versions on CD and the official Sun Records reissues all have the correct tracks.

baptistbusman and Rick Bartlett like this.
  2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

That's what I was thinking too, but how could they get the one track wrong and the others all right?
    Those songs are usually all together collectively anyway..?
    :shrug:
    I should have picked up the 'Outtakes' set upon release, she's a pretty pricey piece if and when you can find it now.
    The artwork is amazing on it, I love the Reel to Reel tape images.

3. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

Outstanding! Thanks!

4. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Interesting. The reissues I cited and provided links for in another post are on Varèse Sarabande and ORG Music as well as your Bear Family release. So, are you saying Varèse Sarabande and ORG Music are releasing shady semi-legal releases? Both labels are US based and both “reissues” I cited are licensed from Sun Entertainment Corporation.

5. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Well they obviously paid more attention to the licensing than to the actual music. :)

6. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Very true.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

From all that discussion, it is clear that "completists" for Johnny Cash need the Bear Family outtakes box.

Rick Bartlett and baptistbusman like this.
  8. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I do not suffer from such inner voices.

My inner voice has a very limited vocabulary. Pretty much just five words.

"You need this! Buy it!"

10. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

The Chuck Wagon Gang are playing live again: Schedule

And they'll be selling three new CDs from Richard Weize's archives at their shows, featuring sessions from 1959 and 1960. Praise the Lord.

The Killer, RSteven and baptistbusman like this.
  11. baptistbusman

when will they be available for order?

12. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I've mentioned it before, but I'd love to see Bear Family or RWA release the Statesmen Quartet RCA material. He's been involved with the Blackwood Brothers project as well as the Chuck Wagon Gang projects, so this wouldn't be a stretch. They were so closely intertwined with the Blackwood Quartet, that this seems like a natural fit. I wonder who now has the masters of both the Statesmen and the Blackwoods recordings after they started their own joint label.

Brian Mc and melstapler like this.
  13. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Must be SONY/Legacy.

Vintage1976 likes this.
  14. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

They are available digitally.

15. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

Starving for a new box set....it feels like BF don't want my money:cussing:

baptistbusman, rod and RSteven like this.
  16. Svein Arne

17. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

There are a few available, but several aren't. I'd like the complete recordings such as Bear Family did with The Blackwood Brothers. Additionally, I've been buying cds since the mid 80's, and have a few thousand titles. I have yet to buy a digital download, and don't suspect that I ever will. I want a physical product because I often find the booklets informative.

18. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

At the very least I'm hoping one will be officially announced on the website so we can salivate over the details. Would love a track list and song samples for the Rich-R-Tone set.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Reader and baptistbusman like this.
  19. Svein Arne

Reader and rod like this.
  20. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

In some cases, digital may be the only way you're going to get certain releases. I've discussed this at length in other threads, but, take Sony/Legacy product; if they put out an LP release currently, it may only be offered as that plus a digital copy. In some cases Morello, Cherry Red or whomever may issue a CD of said album, but, in some cases, no.

I've seen some albums lately released as vinyl, MP3, and a High Res. 24/96 or 24/192 reissue. The CD version may be an old Koch reissue from the mid 1990's. Lots of variables to consider for your own collecting habits.

spanky1 and baptistbusman like this.
  21. oddmentandtweak

oddmentandtweak Well-Known Member

Hi folks - sorry to just jump in here, but thought this thread might be the right place: wondering if anyone has thoughts on the Sun Records: The Blues Years box set on vinyl vs. the CD release of the version of this set? I've been a fan of a number of artists who were nurtured by Sam Phillips for a while now but just finished the Peter Guralnick bio, and this was the set he recommended ' "if you want to grasp not just what Sam Phillips was all about but what he was talking about when he said, "This is where the soul of a man never dies," this is the place to start." ' So, that's what I'm hoping to do! I did a word search in the forum and saw a few mentions of this set, but no clear recommendations or musings. Generally leaning towards buying a used set of the lps, but wondering if anyone has a preference on this one... thanks for sharing any thoughts!

RSteven and baptistbusman like this.
  22. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

The CD version is greatly expanded with twice as many tracks and a much larger book. You'd be missing out on hours of hard-to-find material with the vinyl release.

baptistbusman, Mychael and RSteven like this.
  23. baptistbusman

If it’s anything like the “Sun Rocks” box, the book is bigger than most of the actual Bear Family boxes that I own.

24. oddmentandtweak

oddmentandtweak Well-Known Member

Thanks @GodBlessTinyTim and @baptistbusman for the info! The extra material and the book definitely are selling points. Is anyone aware of any information on the mastering for this box? I've searched around and I haven't seen anything definitive, but maybe that's because this particular box has been OOP for a long time... The website says this generally, which I think is re: vinyl and CDs:
    "The selection criteria to our vinyl issues and reissues are focussed on the products uniqueness. That means on one hand the recordings - and regarding a reissue the rarity of its original - and on the other hand the quality! Quality already starts with technical handling like disc transfers from best possible vinyl or shellac sources and mastering from original master tapes."​

baptistbusman likes this.
  25. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

More on the Sun Blues Box:

MerseyBeatle likes this.