Your Favourite Richard Wright Pink Floyd Song?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Apr 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

"Us and them" should have been in the poll, don't you think ?

I voted for "Summer 68", but it could have been "See saw" or "Paintbox". I love all three of them.

Rick Robson likes this.
  2. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

I love this track. And great to see Wright in this video as if he was Floyd's frontman :cool:

3. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Nuff said. :cheers:

marmalade166 and dkmonroe like this.
  4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I couldn't have stood on that ledge like David!

5. Daniel Leone

Daniel Leone Forum Resident

Sysyphus has a special place in me.

6. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I miss Shine On part 9 in the poll. Would have voted for that. Brilliant how a snatch of Emily creeps in at the end.

dsky and A Saucerful of Scarlets like this.
  7. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

It does?

8. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Yes. Not the original recording of course, but a tiny bit of the melody ('Emily tries but misunderstands'), played by Mr Wright. A fitting end to a composition dedicated to Barrett.

9. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

Awesome. Never noticed that before. I’ll keep my ear out for it next listen

Sytze likes this.
  10. dsky

dsky Little Blue Light

This piece was played at my good friend's funeral about 10 years ago as his coffin was carried out of the chapel. Intense stuff, particularly given the tragic circumstances of his early death. It still stirs a strong emotional response a decade on. I really have to steel myself to listen.

11. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

That's emotional indeed. Thanks for sharing. It occurred to me that Richard Wright also passed away 10 years ago.

dsky likes this.
  12. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

I too love Rick Wright's contributions. Not so keen on It Would Be So Nice though. Typical forced attempt at a hit single and very much of its time.

13. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

In live versions from 75 & 77 he added a few other Barrett quotes - Bike, the Gnome, Arnold.

Sytze likes this.
  14. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

"See-Saw" by 2000 light years

Big Pasi likes this.
  15. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

He did? That's great. Didn't know that.

16. "It Would Be So Nice" has grown on me over the last 10 years. Hard to argue that the verses are anything better than drivel (which they are), but the chorus is still pretty fantastic far as I'm concerned.

It's certainly an acquired taste, but as a snapshot of a band still trying to newly find itself, I think it certainly evokes a time and a place.

(God, I know, those verses are horrid.)

RobNeil likes this.
  17. AND it's gotten *6* whole votes in this poll too. (Not my choice, though, that'd be "Paintbox".)

Chrome_Head likes this.
  18. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Tough choice between "Remember a Day" and "Summer of '68."

19. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

Summer '68, just gorgeous.

marmalade166 likes this.
  20. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

He really has a good set of songs, and what i like the most about them is their unpretentious simplicity.
    Saying this nevertheless my favourite Wright composition is Sysiphus, by a mile, though its the oposite of what caracterizes his compositions, complex and a little pertentious. But Sysiphus to me is like a classical composition with the usual 4 movement, each one with its own carachteristics. And Sysiphus never cease to amaze me: that ominous begining, the piano piece going mad like trying something Impossible, the second movement sugesting a insane infinte work without end, the brief calmness of a dreamed world of the third movement and then the terrifying final movement of that dreams being torn apart with the same ominous melodie closing the arch. This is a masterpiece. All very logical with the name of the music. No Floyd here, just genious Mr. Wright.

dsky likes this.
  21. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Why is Stay on that list? Waters has credits in that song. Great song by the way.

22. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

This list doesn't make sense. It's still a nice move to shed light on Rick's music :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.