Your favourite Smiths studio album opener is...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hollow Horse, Mar 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy Thread Starter

[​IMG]

I have a fondness overall for Reel Around The Fountain as the marquee Smiths curtain-raiser but understand wholly the challenge from The Headmaster Ritual and The Queen Is Dead; what do other readers think?

2. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Gavaxemanspins on YouTube

A rush and a push for me

I am the ghost of troubled Joe..

3. Hollow Horse

Amazing.

I always heard it as "I am the ghost of a child-like shell"

Really!

Gavaxeman likes this.
  4. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Tough. If this were a weakest link thread, then 'The Queen is Dead' would be the first to go, as merely 'good' rather than 'great' IMHO, then I'd be really hard pushed to choose one of the other three. I might go with 'A Rush and a Push' as I guess that might be the outsider in this race.

Edit: Wow! Having voted and seen the scores, it's in the lead at this early stage with over twice the votes of the second placed song.

5. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Reel around the Fountain is a great song but as album opener i prefer headmaster ritual. The others are no match for these two imo.

dlemaudit and Etienne Hanratty like this.
  6. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

"The Queen is dead, boys
    And it's so lonely on a limb..."

HenryFly likes this.
  7. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

The headmaster ritual

Luisboa likes this.
  8. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Im very surprised that is leading the score.

9. Hollow Horse

And then I realised that I already posted this fact earlier, about the misheard lyrics!

Yes no accounting for taste, I would think if it was a head to head, Headmaster Ritual would smash it!

Meanwhile in the last few seconds another vite for TQID.

10. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Oh! Take me back to dear old Blighty,
    Put me on the train for London Town,
    Take me anywhere,
    Drop me anywhere,
    Liverpool, Leeds or Birmingham
    But I don't care,
    I should like to see my

Mike Joyce then has his finest hour in the band, which doesn't say much. But out of all the main records this one feels like a great opener, even if they're all relatively good in other respects.

11. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

Got to go for The Queen is Dead as it's my all time favorite Smiths Song

12. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Reel Around The Fountain is my favourite song, but A Rush and A Push... is the best opener.

13. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

None of these would show up on the list of my favorite Smiths songs or the songs I think are the Smiths' best or most essential.

I'm one of those who think the Smiths weren't really a great albums band and none of their albums is really great. But they were a great singles bands and their collections of singles is pretty much the only Smiths I return to. I know Hatful of Hollow is not an album but a collection of singles and radio session, but it's still, by far, my favorite Smiths album and really the only Smiths album, other than a singles collection, that I find myself returning to very often, and "William It Was Really Nothing" brilliantly opens that album, and opened the show the first time I saw the band too. As a result I always think of that one as the Smiths' greatest opener. But of the tracks on the list I'd pick "The Queen Is Dead."

MagneticSouth1966 likes this.
  14. Hollow Horse

Well they only had four. But each of them were very good, one in particular often universally acclaimed.

I could accept a singles band tag, there may be little scope for argument there but I an reticent in this clime of pigeon-holing everything.

I think that The Smiths were a great English band and an important one during a time of great change in the music industry.

They portrayed an Englishness not seen since perhaps The Kinks or dare I say it, The Beatles.

Gavaxeman likes this.
  15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

They were a great band. I wasn't familiar with their music when I had a chance to see them on their first full fledged US tour in 1985 and it was one of the most memorable concerts I've ever seen in any genre of music. But I was always a little disappointed by the albums.

16. The Queen Is Dead. The intro of "Take me back to Dear Old Blighty" followed by the thunderous drums of Mike Joyce and then Johnny Marr's guitar were the first thing I heard by the Smiths. I was hooked within a couple of seconds and have been a fan ever since.

garrincha likes this.
  17. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Gavaxemanspins on YouTube

The love for a rush and a push is tied up with the sadness that this was it in 1987, the last album from a band already extinct , and that opening line ..”the ghost of troubled Joe” .. coupled with the closing I won’t share you..still makes me sad all these years later .. :mudscrying:

18. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

19. MagneticSouth1966

MagneticSouth1966 Forum Resident

While I ultimately agree that The Smiths were best as a "singles band", their albums have brought me endless enjoyment. I have to give the nod to "Reel Around The Fountain", as it just blew me away on first listen and continues to fascinate even now... just an incredibly emotionally complex lyric/music. Even though their albums could have structural issues or weaker moments, the band still only really had about three truly "weak" moments for me in their entire output: "Miserable Lie", "Golden Lights" and "Meat Is Murder". I do find TQID to be somewhat overrated; Hatful of Hollow, Louder Than Bombs, and the debut get the most play from me. And recently I was reminded of what a great song "Well I Wonder" is; I had virtually forgotten about it since the 80s!

My favorite Smiths' "objects" are the UK 12" singles... they were surprisingly easy to obtain upon release as imports in my small Southern town, and just sounded AMAZING thanks to the 45rpm format.

20. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

A rush and a push. Pure Smiths force.

Gavaxeman likes this.
  21. John54

John54 Senior Member

The Headmaster Ritual

"belligerent ghouls run Manchester schools"

As opposed to where?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.