Your Musical Hot-Takes/Unpopular Opinions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Trixmay 988, Aug 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

:shh:

2. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Here's another:
    I find Jonathan Richman so revered and seemingly "charming" naiveté, innocence and happiness somewhat forced and contrived. I don't like kindergarten songs, sorry. The only album I like is the first Modern Lovers album. He never bettered Roadrunner.

sekaer likes this.
  3. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

It's like "la la la I'm happy! Look how happy I am! Be happy or die! Have I told you I'm happy? I love candy and lollipops and goin to the beach! La la la"

4. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

But does anybody really want to enter that gateway in 2020? Metal has had its day, surely, and that was decades ago.

5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I've had my negative opinions softened on several performers over the years due to the knowledge and enthusiasm of fans on this board and elsewhere. I don't always grow to love the artist(s) in question but I often gain a new respect for their abilities.

That might well have happened in the case of Nilsson but now we'll never know.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Sear likes this.
  6. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

I don’t even know if this is controversial but without Jerry Garcia, the GD would never have gone anywhere. He had more talent than rest of band put together.

sekaer and Sear like this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Metal and rock is still going strong in much of the world. Still the primary genre in a lot of countries as Fusionfan poined out in his much missed rock and metal in the world's charts thread, a year or two ago.

Even in the UK, before all the current madness, concerts were usually very busy and the new(ish) New Wave of Classic Rock movement seems to be gathering steam nicely. Not that anyone would realize, looking at the mainstream media.

pwhytey likes this.
  8. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

There's no need to labour the point, but that's not what that thread was set up for, and it's disingenuous to pretend otherwise. The OP made it pretty obvious what the intention of the thread was with his second post - the little boxing emoji and saying, "I'm ready" - it was designed to provoke arguments not to change anyone's mind. The very first post was textbook strawmanning, truly pathetic stuff.

9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I disagree. The second post was in relation to a conversation happening in another thread.

In any event, if posters had engaged in a discussion rather than whinging about Sear's intentions, an excellent thread could have been created, regardless. Definitely a lost opportunity all round.

10. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I've still not really explored Richman, but I like kindergarten songs, so maybe I should! (Hopefully it's not just lyrics that make it like kindergarten music, though, and we're instead talking about stuff in the vein of They Might Be Giants' "Why Does the Sun Shine?")

carlwm likes this.
  11. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Thank you

carlwm likes this.
  12. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

It is the lyrics! He hasn't done anything in that vein since 1979, by the way, that's 41 years ago.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  13. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Yeah sure, the way he conducted himself in the thread did little to suggest it was anything other than a stupid attempt at being provocative. He kept peevishly doubling down on the stupidity when challenged until he realized he was making an a**e of himself and tried to engage with some of the points being made - the thread could have been saved then but it got pulled because, I assume, he wasn't able to control himself earlier. No great loss.

14. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Hey man cool it down. Insults aren't allowed here as far as I know. You can express your disagreement without calling me stupid and *******

Ginger Ale and carlwm like this.
  15. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I don't agree with the talent part--though I'd say he was the most talented member of the band especially in terms of his talent being multifaceted/wide-ranging and productive, but I don't think it's controversial to say that the Dead wouldn't have been the Dead/probably wouldn't have gotten very far without Garcia. He was the glue/the anchor and the driving force of the band.

16. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Everyone does stupid things occasionally, even the most intelligent of people. That thread was stupid. It was a mistake and you knew it could be a problem before you posted it.

ARK likes this.
  17. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

I'm no fan either, but that last sentence...yowza! :laugh:

18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

The thread could have been anything posters made it, if only the discussion topic had been engaged with.

19. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

What topic? This guy is rubbish and I'm prepared to fight anyone who says otherwise? Look at it from the point of view of the moderators, you might magically and telepathically know what's going on inside the OP's head but, what are they to think when they see the first two posts and then watch him doubling down repeatedly throughout the thread? You think it looked like it was a serious attempt at engaging in a discussion to a neutral observer? The thread was posted in bad faith, or at least looked like it was, so it had to go.

20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

The topic of the music of Nilsson.

My point is that whatever Sear's intentions - and I believe them to be entirely honorable - we could have real debate about the merits of the music. One poster, at least, put up a video featuring some of Nilsson's music and talked briefly about the quality of one of his albums but that got lost in the storm of invective thrown at Sear.

Sear likes this.
  21. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

This is pointless, why don't you ask a moderator why the thread was taken down and have an argument with them instead.

22. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Most of soul music bores me to no end.
    I only like some records by Aretha, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye and little else.

carlwm likes this.
  23. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Little Feat's debut is my favourite album of theirs.
    That line-up was only intact for that one album and it's a quirky masterpiece.

And welcome to you.

Joonya77 and carlwm like this.
  24. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

I think a problem occurs when someone thinks they are holding a counter-intuitive take, but it's really just ignorance at work. This reaches quite predictable outcomes. A person pronounces something as being worthless, when in reality it's the narrowness of their own taste at work. They then declare that someone else is trolling (for having an opinion that they don't agree with)... Then you're in stupid territory, especially when this appears to be compulsive behaviour.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    BluesOvertookMe and Max Florian like this.
  25. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

First, everyone has their own tastes and the right to express them. I haven't insulted anybody so far.
    Second, you haven't the right to insult calling me stupid. If you don't like my posts, don't read them. Deal with it. Sure you are the stupid for wasting your time like this

Andrew J likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.