Your opinions about the best integrated amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by terzinator, Feb 14, 2020.

1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

T+A, Vitus, Gryphon, and a long list beyond those. How on Earth did you come up with this!?

Blank Frank and MGW like this.
  2. garyalex

garyalex Forum Resident

Shindo Laboratory Apetite 6V6

GoldprintAudio and John Landreth like this.
  3. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Why limit your options to to an integrated at this price point? Tube preamp and ss amp gives a nice mix of the best of both worlds. I don't think paying this much for an amp and stating "well I don't know what speakers I'll end up with" is a good plan for creating synergy.
    That said, if I had decided it had to be an integrated (and I wouldn't with a 10k budget), I would go the Pass Labs route. Or an all class A integrated. If the speakers are power hungry I would go separates.

4. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Some of you people need to get a life. It should be obvious that such statements are matters of opinion. Do they all need to be prefaced with an “IMO”? Also, maybe you should actually audition the equipment in question before discounting what others have suggested. I’ve done so extensively and have posted my findings here.

Schwinnparamount likes this.
  5. PhotoMax

PhotoMax Forum Resident

Tonight I am finally listening to my most recent upgrade, new speakers.

I am now at an interesting place with new, used and demo gear. Sounds amazing, not cheap, but a long ways from silly money.

Linn Magik DSM>>Pass Labs XP-20 preamp (w/ separate power supply)>>Bryston 4BSST-2 power amp>>Spendor D9s. Also in the system: Rega Planar 6, Neo PS, Ania cartridge and Rega Aria phono stage...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Echoes Myron, Khorn and Morbius like this.
  6. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Not the OP, of course, but I have Cary Audio SLP-05 (upgraded and with NOS tubes) and their SS SA 200.2 ES. I intend to replace with a SS integrated in a similar price range. Excellent hi-end power and interconnect cables cost several thousand dollars. For those who really want to take the SYSTEM route and appreciate that weak links are just that, well, the cables are essential.

I do agree, generally, that I could find that I prefer my separates. We'll see. I don't intend to take a step backwards.

7. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit Thread Starter

as these threads get longer, it's tough to read all of it, but all those questions are answered somewhere in the thread

If I could still edit the original post to include them at this point, I would.

But to review:

Integrated because I'd like a cleaner look, fewer components, simpler configuration. This is not a dedicated music room. It will be part of a living space. I won't have two giant monoblocks sitting on butcherblock risers in front of the main rack of components.

Speakers might be Maggies or larger Harbeths (I have P3ESR's at the moment), but I am open to many options for this new space. I might buy the integrated and speakers at the same time so I can hopefully have a better shot at that elusive synergy.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Blank Frank likes this.
  8. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Consider updating your profile page OR maybe adding some system info to your sig.

I'll simply take this opportunity to advise you to take the full SYSTEM approach. I did miss it if you mentioned your "stretch budget", but do at least factor in AC conditioner and its power cable. I'd advise no less than Shunyata Delta speaker cables. And a nice amp power cable.

My experiences over the past couple years has changed my entire approach from all the years prior. Had I only known!!

9. terzinator

i edited the previous post to add some details, but I can add some info to my sig/profile, too.

My current components will essentially be irrelevant to the new system, but I suppose it's good to put that info out there.

For speaker cable and interconnects, I have better than basic. Figure around $100 speaker cable and interconnects. Certainly not lamp cord, but not in the esoteric $1000's.

Power cables, I'm using stock. But that would change, obviously.

Would likely get a PS Audio PowerPlant.

I will also run a dedicated 20-amp circuit from the breakers.

Budget TBD, but assume that the integrated would probably be only a quarter of the budget.

I get the allure of separates, and insane systems and setups, I really do. I have upgrade-itis myself. I think, though, I have that more with separates. That the idea of seeing a dozen different components/interconnects in the chain makes me think I could replace this one or that one and see what the difference is. With an integrated, that desire diminishes. I can listen to the music without the constant hand-wringing. Oh, I know it's still there to some degree, but it's lessened.

Office system:
    [​IMG]

Main-house system:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dignan2000, JJ Cahill, tyler8 and 5 others like this.
  10. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

"Get a life"? Okay I never need to read another post from you.

11. Helom

Helom Forum member

It uses a SS equivalent of a circlotron circuit which is very rare and partially responsible for its excellent measurements and low noise.

Not the setup. I remarked on the bass and the dealer said that's the opinion of most who audition the pairing. He said it produces much bigger bass with most other amps - threw out names like Rogue and Parasound. His conjecture was the Devialet doesn't have the current capability. He admitted the brand is not the best choice unless one wants/needs the "lifestyle" design.

lonelysea, jh901 and Mike-48 like this.
  12. Helom

Helom Forum member

Not a bad idea to buy both at the same time, better yet, arrange in-home trials. Regarding these brands, I get why so many hone in on them, considering all the internet chatter, but there are countless other brands out there that are just as enjoyable, and likely preferable to many listeners. Harbeth is far from the only option when seeking exquisite midrange and accurate tone. My advice is to audition everything you can get your hands on, even if that requires cross-state roadtrips or a short flight.

jh901, timind, Mike-48 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Yes, the design is striking, if not really to my taste. And they are expensive!

14. timind

timind phorum rezident

Before purchasing Magnepans, you really need to do extensive auditioning. Upon first listening, Maggies can do some things so right they're hard to resist. If what they lack is important to you though, they can wear out their welcome fairly quickly once you get them home.

Tim 2, jh901 and jupiterboy like this.
  15. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I’m heartbroken.

rockness87 likes this.
  16. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

No mention yet of the Gold Note IS 1000 or the Aeathetix Mimas?

17. terzinator

Indeed, totally get that.

I have Harbeth P3ESR's and a pair of Focal Aria 906's. I'm getting some Magnepan .7's. (I'll be in this place another year at least, and I've always wanted to try them.)

So, these brands are already on my radar. But, yep, totally open to other things. One poster above mentioned Contours worked well with his Hegel. So that's something right there. I've heard B&W's that sounded great. And Sonus Faber also. Again, blank slate.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  18. Helom

Helom Forum member

.7s are my favorite Maggies because they're capable of the direct-radiator-type dynamics that many find are missing in panel speakers. All other affordable panels I've experienced were severely lacking in some respect. They do like high-current amps, which is more important than the wattage spec. Naim amps are supposedly a good match.

19. Madness

Some don't have the disposable income required to go to where the hifi equipment is if it involves hopping on a plane. Very difficult to locate several, let alone one, hifi dealer with an inventory extensive enough to even make a long trip worthwhile. And then allowing you to take equipment home to audition? Very challenging for most I would imagine.

Timbo21 likes this.
  20. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Wondering what the difference of high current vs. high voltage would be, generally? Are certain speaker designs more likely to shine with HV?

T+A PA 3100 HV
    Like the entire HV-Series, one major differentiator is the implementation of High Voltage (HV) technology. HV is utilized throughout all amplifier gain stages which provides a more linear performance and an extremely wide dynamic range when compared to conventional amplification design. This circuit topology is based on a differential cascode amplifier with individually selected audio J-FET transistors and most importantly without op-amps.

21. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Yeah, and there's simply no substitute for hearing gear in one's own space. There really isn't. Probably make out better buying an integrated, hopefully at a great price, and then selling after six months if it's not quite working out. Maybe I'm alone, but I need to hear any system change for many, many hours over weeks and even months in order to acclimate.

timind likes this.
  22. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

If you can take the time, you might find some local shops that are a drive away. I found that Reference 3a was pretty close. Then, you have some shops that will take a return, or even have people over to homes than might accommodate a listening session. You also might travel. I'll slip into a shop on my way to the airport sometimes.

Helom likes this.
  23. Helom

Helom Forum member

If one is considering $10K amplification, surely they can spare a couple hundred for a Southwest ticket. If not, they should probably re-evaluate their budget.

MonkeyMan, timind, MGW and 3 others like this.
  24. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I had the Gold Note IS 1000 on order for second system but decided to go with powered speakers.

I bought the Gold Note DS-10 for my main system.

dubious title likes this.
  25. Madness

Traveling through airports is more trouble than its worth sometimes

And don't call me Shirley.:goodie:

Babur72 likes this.