Your opinions on the album Bat Out of Hell by Meat Loaf?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WildRanger, Apr 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Me neither. But BOOH? I get all the bombastic, OTT, broadway, juvenile, bad taste, criticisms etc.
    All part of the fun. The sax in All Revved Up brings a huge smile to my face every time I hear it. Lovely ballads, tongue-in-cheek humour of many song titles based an well-known expressions, the whole enchilada. And the title track is majestic.
    I don't follow all of the "master tapes were lost" things, but if this got a revelatory remix/remaster, I'd be there in a nanosecond. I have the SACD, it's still not there.

On a side note, I've noticed the Covid stuff in this thread regurgitated, as it was banned on the RIP thread. As it should have been. "your-opinions-on-the-album-bat-out-of-hell-by-meat-loaf." = "He was an anti-vaxxer"
    Sheesh.

Rocketdog, siebrand and Eric_Generic like this.
  2. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I assume if the masters have been lost, it happened after the 1999 Classic Albums doc, as both Todd and Meat (separately) seemed to be working with a full deck, as it were.

I Gotta Full Deck (Lay Your Cards On Me Tonight) ;)

EG.

AngusStanley likes this.
  3. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

It's a novelty album. Well done, but still a novelty album.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  4. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I remember growing up hearing this and Dark Side were record breaking sellers. Loved the album cover. Got it. Was kinda like a Broadway play. Totally different from what I thought. Now it’s fine. Time has opened me more. RiP Meat you were great. Rock on.

5. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I love the title track, but the rest of the album does nothing for me.

6. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

Pity; "You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth" is one of the most perfect songs ever written.

Hep Alien and siebrand like this.
  7. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Nah, thats ACDC.

siebrand likes this.
  8. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

well, that's a unique way of putting it.

9. Greenalishi

I dont think Meatloaf or AC/DC are really rated at all. They have fans but never heard them rated or critically accessed. More ignored by any rating at all. Never hip. Not in that crowd

AngusStanley likes this.
  10. Black Cat Surfboards

Black Cat Surfboards Forum Resident

This.

People see records like Bat of of Hell or Back in Black sell umpteen million copies and call them overrated. They are extremely popular records and you could probably argue that both of them succeed handily at what they were intended to do, and were popular. To me, anyway, that all has little if anything to do with how they were or were not "rated".

AngusStanley and Greenalishi like this.
  11. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

A thread from 2017 that I was able to vote in! Voted! Great album.
    There were stars never seen before! Is this a new or old thing?

Greenalishi and Eric_Generic like this.
  12. jdthebrit1

jdthebrit1 Forum Resident

5 stars from me for content. Ground breaking at the time, and still love it today (just an overgrown kid). 2 stars for playback as most posters state. I seriously thought back when that my capacitators had leaked or some similar tragedy had befallen my Ferrograph amp of the time, so had to check with "Live at Leeds" as a benchmark.
    No - everything was as it should be.
    A real shame, because an audiophile Bat of Hell would have been fab.

carlwm and Greenalishi like this.
  13. Greenalishi

Been watching vids of Meatloaf lately. I really like his stuff. Jim Steinman had a real way for cool epic songs. Someone posted Original Sin in another thread and I loved it. I think my taste has changed since I first heard Meatloaf. I like it now. Searched bit found no Cd or Lp with Jim Steinman stuff. I’d love a comp with selected songs, Original Sin long version, and Meatloaf, Bonnie Tyler. I’d kill for one. Think it would be a fun listen

carlwm, eclecticfiend and altaeria like this.
  14. Col

Col Forum Resident

Not for me-can't identify with the lyrics at all and the bombast and emotion is too overwrought -it is not to my taste

Greenalishi likes this.
  15. JKCanuck

JKCanuck Forum Resident

I only bought Bat Out of Hell about 6 months ago.
    My brother had it on cassette (!) back in the day. Probably still does too.
    I like it. I gave it 4 stars. It's definitely over the top and cheesy, but it's still only rock and roll.

Greenalishi and altaeria like this.
  16. PES

PES Forum Resident

Old history. I was in Southern California when Bat Out of Hell was first released (Oct, 1977) and for some reason it got very little airplay. Such little airplay that my Swiss cheese emory says there may have even been an article in Rolling Stone about it. I'm not sure what was behind this bias. It continued for a while, even after the album became a hit in other parts of the country. Does anybody else (of a certain age as they say) remember that initial ignoring of the album by the FM stations?

Greenalishi likes this.
  17. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

Obscure fact: Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad is the red headed love child of Wayne Newton’s Daddy Don’t You Walk So Fast.

Greenalishi likes this.
  18. eclecticfiend

eclecticfiend wavy air aficionado

The best of rock and the best of theatre music all in one. Repellent for people who take rock waaaay too seriously. A masterpiece.

19. Henry B

Henry B Forum Resident

Shortly after it's release I bought it at a local department store based on the cover and Todd Rundgren as producer. Didn't make it through one complete play and took it back. When asked why I was returning it I just said it sucked. They actually took it back for store credit.

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

1. ★★★★★ and well deserved. : )

Amnion and carlwm like this.
  21. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

Life is a lemon and you got your money back.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  22. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I listened to it, more than once. I couldn't understand what all the hoopla was about. 2 stars. Just doesn't float my boat.

Henry B likes this.
  23. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

24. GreenNeedle

GreenNeedle Forum Resident

I remember Meat Loaf being big all through the 80s (I was only born in '75) and didn't really like his voice that much, still don't really. These songs still get played a lot on radio. Paradise was on the radio today and I was joining in. Parts of this song rock. Maybe different now but in the late 90s/early 00s I was quite into Karaoke and you could guarantee groups of girls doing this song. And I mean girls, not women who were around in the 70s. Girls born in the 80s, it was still quite a hit with the girlies even then.

I gave it 4 stars. Not really because I think the album itself is great but I always remember liking the artwork (yes its cliche but its still good) but Paradise and Bat out of Hell are great songs and they rock. Not keen on the slower stuff or ballady stuff (2 out of 3 is awful) as Meatloaf has this awful overemphasized vibrato which he then took to the limit with "Anything for love" Aaaargh but in Bat out of Hell and Paradise he sings instead of vibrating. Yes its showbiz, yes its musical broadway/West End. So what. Music is about entertaining and you can't entertain everyone's tastes.

4 stars for 2 great songs? They must be good (IMO.) I'm gonna get the CD out now and test my patience through the vibrating. lol

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    Greenalishi and Eric_Generic like this.
  25. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

Bombastic, cheesy, over the top, yes yes yes ... but an absolute tour de force for Todd Rundgren and an important entry in the man's catalog. Todd's concept for Bat was to do a Bruce Springsteen pastiche and he completely pulls it off. Goes beyond it, actually, into something singular and unique. For better or worse there's nothing else like Bat Out Of Hell in popular music.

Oh yeah, Todd plays all the guitars on the album too.

GreenNeedle, Yost, Amnion and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.