Your singing voice!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, May 23, 2022.

1. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

She also occasionally requests Over the Hills and Far Away despite not being a Led Zeppelin fan…

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  2. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'll answer with a couple of fun memories. In 1977, my musical partner and I had a meeting with Morris Levy; upon playing him a cassette of of a couple of originals (myself singing lead), Levy leaned back and said this sounds a lot like someone we don't like too much around here (at the time , Levy was suing John Lennon for the Come Together/You Can't Catch Me fiasco). So I guess my answer is John Lennon. I won a sound alike contest at the '81 Beatlefest in Jersey doing Across The Universe as well.

Monasmee, Bob J, andrewskyDE and 8 others like this.
  4. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident Thread Starter

Cool stories:righton:

Northernlight and DK Pete like this.
  5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...'twas another lifetime, my friend.

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

90's
    Doin a pretty good rendition of Da Ya Think I'm Sexy - In the key of Revolting Cocks :laugh:
    [​IMG]

Sgt. Abbey Road and Bingo Bongo like this.
  7. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I am a tenor. I sang regularily in choirs between age 13 and 27. Since then I have been in short term bands (as a vocalist) and in a few choir projects. I am now approaching 44.

About my voice:

My strength is clear "choir voice" in upper ranges. I was very early inspired by Morten Harket from a-ha so I can do his typical "mixed voice" between chest and falsetto.

I can do the Kevin Max vibrato if I want to.

I have realised it is a muscle so if I join a project after years without singing I really struggle and the voice "collapses". A few weeks of rehearsals does the trick.

I am quite limited in the lower ranges but it depends on my day..

An interesting note to you @Sgt. Abbey Road In a cover band we decided to try Helter Skelter and to my own amazement I managed to hit the scream! My voice just transformed into this other raw thing. I don't dare to try it now though but if your voice gets enough exercise it might work.

BDC and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  8. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

A bargain-basement Peter Gabriel.

BDC, DK Pete and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I suck!

BDC, DK Pete, Moshe and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident Thread Starter

Don’t say that, everyone has talent:righton:

BDC, andrewskyDE, DK Pete and 2 others like this.
  11. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

That is very strange. I have to believe that if you had a good sense of pitch when you were a child, you still have this somewhere, but perhaps you have not been able to recalibrate your sense of your adult voice. I would have thought that with some training/practice, you could get this back. Have you ever tried any of the various learn to sing mobile apps? They’re quite good for pitch training.

12. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

I have a fairly flat, droning singing voice....doesn't stop me inflicting songs onto the internet though
    Initiation

13. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

I think I have a baritone voice, but with a reasonable falsetto as well. I find my singing voice unsatisfactory. I can sing reasonably in tune when I sing quietly, but find this difficult when I turn up the volume. This may be a matter of not having really learned, been taught how to use or not having really explored my voice, although I do have a quiet voice in general, so perhaps that is the way it is.

I would really like the opportunity to explore my voice more in the future. I feel inhibited singing at home, as I always have, so not sure when that might be.

That said, my singing voice is available to hear on used vinyl, CD and the usual streaming services, should one know where to look. That information will not be divulged here, however!

14. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

No, I have not. But thanks for the idea. I have become afraid of using my voice for singing, but a mobile app would ne less judgemental than an actual human being, so.... Why not? Thanks for the tip! :righton:

15. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

In church, the minister would say:

"Pull out your hymnal. We're going to sing #178. Except you, Fischman. You lypsync. We're here to praise the lord, not drive him from the Heavens."

16. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Low baritone, not quite bass. I can sing twelve-tone row. Unless I'm supposed to.

17. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I have a nasal voice and limited range. At my best, I can do a reasonable folky Lennon impression but most songs of the singers and bands I love are out of my vocal range.

18. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

My singing voice has been described as flat and out of key. Aside from that, it's great.

19. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

Mine is baritone with a tendency to go flat when I try the tenor parts - which I unfortunately do often. Also unfortunate is the fact that I don't have a tone anywhere near as good as Ernest Tubb or Johnny Cash where flatness can be overlooked.

20. I can't carry a tune in a wheelbarrow.

21. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I'm tone deaf.

22. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Limited range. Not as well controlled as I would like. Kind of one note. But sincere.

Zeki, Rojo, DK Pete and 2 others like this.
  23. dee

dee Senior Member

If your timing is good don't worry about it :);)

24. dee

dee Senior Member

Sincerity of voice is almost everything :)

"There once a was 'a note'
    pure and easy"

25. Ian Roberts

Ian Roberts Forum Resident

Well as I’m a proud Welshman, of course I can sing! (At least in my mind I can). In reality, I’m actually proof that not all Welshmen CAN sing! Think mid 70’s Rod Stewart…….but completely out of tune :wave: