Your TEN/10 favourite Concert DVD's/Blurays

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BF2142

BF2142 Forum Resident

I wish they would release Circus Krone as a standalone product. The bootleg versions I've seen are unfortunately incomplete, running to about nine tracks.

2. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

No order:
    Various Artists - Supershow
    The Rolling Stones and others - The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus
    Monterey Pop Festival
    Woodstock
    One Night With Blue Note
    Thelonious Monk - Straight, No Chaser (1988)
    Wattstax
    The Band and others - The Last Waltz
    Fillmore: The Last Days
    Jazz on a Summer's Day

john lennonist likes this.
  3. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Don’t have 10 but Rush Time Machine and Springsteen from MSG reunion tour are my two favorites

4. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

The first two thirds are excellent. Bloodflowers, however, does nothing for me, and I’ve tried so many times. (That was actually the first album I ever snagged an advance leaked copy via the Internet).

5. Tom M

Tom M Forum Resident

Symphonic Yes.

MichaelCPE and Rufus rag like this.
  6. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Plus, that was the tour that the band were "augmented" with a horn section, backup singers and the like... Ugh.

Rather have "Take The Highway" on Blu-Ray, anyway. Better show, better tour, better all around. IMO.

7. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

That's a good one too and it's another one that (to the best of my knowledge) has only ever been released on laserdisc and VHS. But that home video complemented Pack Up the Plantation, as Take the Highway features only two songs from the first four albums (both from Damn the Torpedoes). Most of the track list for that video is derived from the (at the time) two most recent Petty releases, Full Moon Fever and Into the Great Wide Open.

8. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

The Band - Last Waltz
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Rust Never Sleeps
    Nirvana - Unplugged
    Nirvana - Live at the Paramount
    Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
    James - Getting Away With It...Live
    Paul Simon - Graceland: The African Concert
    Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - High Grass Dogs, Live From The Fillmore
    Led Zeppelin - Royal Albert Hall in 1970
    Simon & Garfunkel - Concert in Central Park
    Femi Kuti - Live at the Shrine
    Fleetwood Mac - The Dance
    Rolling Stones - Some Girls Live In Texas 1978
    U2 - Go Home: Live from Slane Castle
    Dance Craze

9. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

This is a truly fantastic DVD and the only known full length video of a Rat Pack show, although it was actually filmed in 1965 at the Kiel Opera House in St. Louis, Missouri. A very young Quincy Jones is conducting the great orchestra and Johnny Carson was called in to replace an ailing Joey Bishop. Sinatra is fantastic and in great voice and spirits, but Dean and Sammy almost steal the show with Dean's great humor and Sammy's all around talent. This concert video was only discovered about a 15 years ago IIRC. I cannot recommend it highly enough. A truly great pick, my friend!

10. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer

This one is my #1 favorite and one that I would use to show off my 5.1 system:

Elton John 60 Live At Madison Square Garden
    -Anybody wanting to film a concert should watch this first to see how it's done right
    -The performance is outstanding and in my opinion Elton's voice is great
    -My only complaint is that the guitar is too low in the mix
    -The Choir is outstanding and I like how it comes through in the mix
    -He sticks to the old tunes for the most part

I really do like the "Live From Austin Texas" series. The quality varies some, they are DVDs but the performances are outstanding...here are the ones I have:

Johnny Cash
    Billy Joe Shaver
    Clarence Gatemouth Brown
    Steve Earl (They have two, I have both)
    Guy Clark
    John Hiatt (He can be nutty, but in a good way...I have his entire output on CD...On this DVD his band knows how to rock, I think one of his best bands as he has had many)
    Waylon Jennings
    Lynyrd Skynyrd (Yes, this reconstituted Lynyrd Skynyrd could rock, and they did so on this night, outstanding bass/low end in this one...sub will get workout)
    Dave Alvin (this one is one of my favorites)
    Stevie Ray Vaughn (Wow is all you'll be able to say after watching this one!)

Others that I have:

Elvis-Aloha From Hawaii (get the one that has the rehearsal performance which I like better than the broadcast version)

I feel a little sad after typing this; so many of the musicians above have passed, as well as various band members.

Looks like some of these may be hard to find now.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    RSteven likes this.
  11. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer

Just ordered, thanks for getting me to the right version!

graveyardboots likes this.
  12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Elvis That's The Way It Is - Blu-ray
    Elvis Aloha From Hawaii Deluxe Edition - DVD
    Elvis On Tour - Blu-ray
    Elvis 68 Comeback Special - 50th Anniversary - Blu-ray
    The Rat Pack Live & Swingin' -
    DVD
    Roy Orbison A Back & White Night - Blu-ray
    Sinatra In Japan: Live At The Budokan Hall, Tokyo - DVD
    Michael Bublé Meets Madison Square Garden -
    DVD
    Adele Live At Royal Albert Hall - Blu-ray
    Michael Bublé Caught In The Act - DVD

13. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

To round out my Top 15:

[​IMG]
    Mainly only covers one album, but the film looks much better than their other DVD.

[​IMG]
    Career spanning and not focused on just one album.

[​IMG]
    Lush sound in an intimate setting.

[​IMG]
    On tour with the Fab Five at their height of glory.

[​IMG]
    The last time Yes was still truly Yes.

mark winstanley likes this.
  14. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

The 'Arriving Somewhere' DVD got a BluRay Release last year. I bought it despite being my least favorite PT era of Music(wish there was a BluRay for the 'Coma Divine' 2 CD Concert), and have not watched it yet. 'Anesthetize' covering 'Fear of a Blank Planet' which I love the most from SW's Harder Rock/Prog Metal Sound Albums, makes it a Great Video Concert to own though.

Everything SW puts out is an AutoBuy for me. I finally paid a higher price(although not insanely high given what most copies are selling for on the secondary market) to get the Deluxe Box Sets(New/Sealed) for 'To the Bone' and 'Hand Cannot Erase', as will not make that mistake in the future of not buying his Deluxe Box Sets upon release waiting to see if I like the Music, as his last 2 Albums are my most played SW Music since 'Signify', 'Up the Downstairs' & 'The Sky Moves Sideways' Albums.

15. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

Maybe something like this:

Muse: Live At Rome Olympic Stadium
    Pink Floyd: Pulse
    David Gilmour: Remember That Night
    Live Aid
    Roger Waters: The Wall
    Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day
    Deep Purple: Perfect Strangers Live

Not sure if these count:
    Abba The Movie
    The Who: The Kids Are Alright

Not live, but I like it:
    The Moody Blues: The Lost Performance; Live In Paris '70

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Queen: Live At Wembley '86
    Peter Gabriel: Secret World Live
    U2: ZooTV Live In Sydney
    Oasis: There And Then
    INXS: Live Baby Live
    Bon Jovi: Live In London
    Depeche Mode: Devotional
    Bjork: Royal Opera House 2001
    Toto: 35th Anniversary Live In Poland
    Concert For George

It was weird not to include any Springsteen releases, but they've all been so flawed, except Tempe 1980, which I'm not listing since you can't actually buy it as a standalone product for some annoyingly inexplicable reason.

Also conspicuously absent: REM, Pearl Jam, the Stones, and Rush. REM and Pearl Jam's live releases are for the most part horribly shot/edited and not that much fun to watch, Rush's best tours only exist in heavily edited, standard-def iffy DVD transfers (Rush In Rio is a great performance, but has awful camera editing and mediocre sound). The Stones have more live film than anyone, and I enjoy all of it, but don't find much of good enough to go Top 10. (Although I think I liked the original Bridges To Babylon St. Louis DVD the best out of all those releases)

17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I forgot all about Inxs live baby live
    That must be among the most exuberant crowds ever. The whole of Wembley stadium just pogoing is awesome

walrus likes this.
  18. Stankey

Stankey Well-Known Member

Bruce Springsteen blu ray from the Darkness on the Edge of Town box is superb. Live show from late 2000s of the whole album live with no crowd.

19. walrus

Yeah. I'm always jealous of that...going to a show in Europe must be a totally different experience. People are actually into the music there, physically, mentally, etc. That's why I fell in love with that Oasis DVD, it's got flaws, but holy hell, the Manchester crowds, and the band at it's peak.

Live Baby Live was done on film, it's criminal that there isn't a hi-def version anywhere.

20. mark winstanley

I think in general the western world (or so it's called) got spoiled with so many great rock bands and concerts, that most places since roughly 2000 have been a bit low key, and everybody wants to be cool rather than have fun (obviously a generalization, but I see people facebooking at concerts and texting all their friends - I assume, because they never seem to look up at the actual stage lol)
    Then you see Iron Maiden in South America and people are going wild, and it's great.

walrus likes this.
  21. walrus

I have plenty of ideas as to why this is, but it's been going on well before 2000. Like, compare Queen in Montreal vs. Queen at Milton Keynes or at Wembley in the 80's. In the Montreal film you can even see/hear Freddie getting slightly exasperated at the crowd's lack of enthusiasm. Meanwhile, in the UK or South America, the crowd singing along almost drowns out the band at times.

22. Maritimer

Maritimer Forum Resident

Thanks for an interesting thread.
    Apologies for listing more than 10

My top concerts are;

1. Eagles – Australia Blu Ray (“BR”)- great AQ & PQ- classic music

2. Eagles- Hell Freezes Over- the opening with Spanish guitars on Hotel Calif… is amazing. Not hard to tell they rehearsed for months – the harmony sounds wonderful

3. Rod Stewart- Royal Albert Hall- one of the best entertainers in the world in what has to be one the finest concert halls – great with audience- some classic songs. Wish it came out on BR

4. Phil Collins- in Paris- I think he actually has 2 Paris dvds- both are very entertaining. I would love to see a BR version.

5. Adele 21 BR – Royal F…. Albert Hall BR- a very talented lady, strong voice, and raw emotion. The PQ and AQ truly top notch. A great concert to invite friends over to watch.

6. Dave Matthews Tim Reynolds BR – live at radio city Hall – great guitar sound. I skip thru the conversation- not my type of humour or satire.

7. Roy Orbison- Black & White- quite a line up musicians and singers. I’m not everyone knows that the last song- “Pretty Woman” won a Grammy when it was released on a CD.

8. Billy Joel BR- Last Play at Shea- great show, some neat surprise guests. The Documentary of the same name is also interesting. Personally, I don’t think Billy’s voice is top notch in this show but the Playlist, venue and emotion of the night makes it a rewarding show to watch.

9. Mumford & Sons- live at red rocks. Wicked energy by the band. Love the venue.

10. Michael Bublé- Caught in the Act- I have seen him several times. Quite an entertainer

11. Eric Clapton - Crossroads Guitar Festival - any version in BR (there are at least 2). Many of the world’s best guitar players on some of these.

12. Joe Bonamassa – Royal Albert Hall 2009, Vienna, or any of his Tour De Force Br

13. John Mayer- where the light is

14. The Coors- either Unplugged or Live in London. Good Celtic Rock music, talented good-looking family.

15. Josh Groban- Awake live BR- what a voice- amazing talent. Great sounding BR.

16. Jewel- the Essential live Songbook. She has an amazing voice-what range. Check out the yodeling at the end. Also, a great looking lady.

I’d like to add some comments in general. I’m 58, and discovered Concert DVD/BR in early 2000’s. Since then I have been mesmerised with the talent, and sound quality of many of the titles.

Watching a good concert on a decent system can be a great date night. I have also had over several other couples that don’t have surround systems and they are amazed and very entertained.

I also have a decent 2.0 set up at my summer cottage and have entertained many of my cousins and friends over several summers.

I much prefer Blu ray version however some DVDs also have great sound (especially Hell Freezes Over).

Wish list- I’d love to have Elton John’s Live In Australia w/The Melbourne Symphony on DVD or BR.

23. mark winstanley

I am stunned that the Elton concert was not released. It was broadcast live, the band section and the orchestra section and it was great.
    The only thing i can think is that it was shot on video tape and they don't like the visual quality.
    The audio should be good though. They released at least the orchestra section on album.
    The Billy Joel is great... i had no problem with his voice on it.
    I really like the finally the final farewell dvd from Collins. The live at Montreux bluray is good too

RSteven likes this.
  24. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Here's eleven favorites, not counting a few great films not yet on DVD or Blu-ray (The Cure and GbV):

The Cure- Trilogy
    Pearl Jam- Live at the Garden
    Pearl Jam- Touring Band 2000
    Archers of Loaf- What Did You Expect?
    The Wedding Present- Drive
    The Wedding Present- Plugged In
    Guided by Voices- The Electrifying Conclusion
    GbV- Live From Austin TX
    The White Stripes- Under Blackpool Lights
    The White Stripes- Under Great White Northern Lights
    My Morning Jacket- Okonokos

25. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Luv this thread - Will stick to 10:
    (Not in a particular order)

1. INXS - Live Baby Live
    (honorable mention: bootleg-Rock In Rio II)
    2. Oasis - This Is History (2nd night Knebworth). On high quality Acopalypse Sound bootleg. 1 of many great bootlegs from collecting on Discogs (2012 - 2017) before they banned bootlegs.
    3. Garbage - One Mile High
    4. Bryan Adams - Live At The Budokan
    5. Eric Clapton & Stevie Winwood - Live from MSG
    6. Audioslave - Live In Cuba
    7. Depeche Mode - Devotional
    8. Primal Scream - Screamadelica Live. 3 disc-set/CD & DVD. Live perf./Olympia Grand Hall, London
    9. The Strokes - Live in Switzerland (thrilled to have found a live concert; not documentary)
    10. Kasabian - Live At The O2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.