Your Top 50 sci-fi films

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Faust3D, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Forum Resident

I've always been a fan of 60's sci-fi. I highly suggest Planet Of The Vampires. Ridley Scott has said he was inspired by this movie and used some of the themes and visuals for the first Alien movie.

wayneklein and alexpop like this.
  2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

That one is definitely a Dumb-Butt Film Klassic! The director used his kid's toys as the miniatures in the "special Defects" shots. :D It's a step up from Ed Woods, well, a baby step. ;)

Cyberhog9 likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Iron SKY
    Mel Brooke's lives. :)

4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Current favorites include the Nolan films, Interstellar, Inception and Prestige...Scott's Alien and Prometheus...a lot of the Marvel films for their effects and humor, e.g., Iron Man...Wall-E...

5. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

Judging from your list, perhaps you're an old geezer like I am, and in any case we have damn near identical tastes!

6. With new entries:
    1. Alien
    2. 2001
    3. Stalker
    4. Predestination
    5. The Prestige
    6. The Terminator
    7. Quartermaster and The Pit
    8. Forbidden Planet
    9. Planet of the Apes (1968)
    10. Westworld
    11. Galaxy Quest
    12. Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
    13. Star Trek: First Contact
    14. Demon Seed
    15. The Day The Earth Stood Still
    16. John Carpenter's The Thing
    17. Starman
    18. Inception
    19. Phase IV
    20. Blade Runner
    21. Brazil
    22. 12 Monkeys
    23. The Tme Machine (1960)
    24. Minority Report
    25. Solaris (Russian)
    26. Kronos
    27. It Came afrom Outer Space
    28. the Incredible Shrinking Man
    29. Fantastic Voyage
    30. War of the World's (Spielberg)
    31. District Nine
    32. Children of Men
    33. Close Encounters
    34. Ex Machina
    35. Edge of Tomorrow
    36. Moon
    37. Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind
    38. A clockwork Orange
    39. Invasion of The Body Snatchers (Siegel)
    40. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Kaufman)
    41. T2: Judgment Day
    42.Serenity
    43.Gattaca
    44.Robocop (Original)
    45.Je t'aime, je t'aime
    46. Le Jette
    47. 2010
    48. Scanners
    49. The Fly (Cronenberg)
    50. Colossus: The Forbin Project

You'll note no comic book movies. That's because they aren't science fiction IMHO.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Pete Puma likes this.
  7. Unless there's another movie by the same name, isn't your entry 10 Guardians of the Galaxy a comic book movie?

wayneklein likes this.
  8. it's a cool movie. I don't know that Scotf has stated he was influenced by it (I seem to recall him stating he had never seen it) but it did influence Dan O'Bannon who wrote the script and approached H.R. Geiger for design work to "sell" the film (both had worked on the proposed "Dune" film that didn't go into production) did and he also knew of It! the Terror from Beyond Space which, essentially, has the same basic plot (even thst wasn't that original--A.E. Van Vogt came up with the story first for his Voyage of The Space Beagel and his stories that made up that book such as Black Destroyer, etc.) Scott was t familiar with any of that--most of the influence came O'Bannon and through him Giger.

Regardless, Bava's film is ingenius and atmospheric with a number of original touches (the beacon and the oversized alien both clearly were an influence). It's a pretty darn good movie and I love the unusual design choices (particularly the crew members uniforms)

9. Yes I was going to remove it but forgot to do so. That would be the only film of the comic books that would be close to science fiction for me. You could argue, of course, that Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man and Fantastic Four (among others fit into the genre) but I look at them as being separate myself.

Fantastic Four particularly where they go into the alternate dimensions, fight Galactus, the Watchers, etc. have elements of that as well.

Shawn likes this.
  10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I think you would like the $hit out of Timecrimes.

11. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Synthfreek likes this.
  12. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

My favs are close to what the gang likes. Space 1999, lost in space, Star trek all of em', Logans run, Quark, 2001 spacey oddity, the first star bores, close encounters of the third kind, I would have love to see a sequel How about it Steven Speilberg? The original dr who, Tom Baker all the way! Battle star galactica the 70s version, I actually could tell what a cylon was. Pssst its the chrome dude! Twilight zone, Rod Serling is a genus! The forbidden plannet, who didn't love Altera, and Leslie Neilson actually had black hair, Alien of course, The original planet of the apes, the list goes on.....:cool:

13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

It's a time travel paradox movie that's a lot of fun but the marketing material made it seem as though it were a slasher movie.

wayneklein likes this.
  14. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The movies based on HG Wells and Jules Verne stories work best for me as SF movies. The only outliers are Barbarella, Solaris , Journey To The Seventh Planet and Forbidden Planet (based on Shakespeare). I also like the TV Series The Outer Limits.

15. Johnny Rocker

Here's a sci-fi from the past for you to guess at, a film in the late 60s early 70s, I don't know if its Euro or American, film in short 2 dudes, one dude had a terrible accident, they converted him into a half android, folks had a bad time accepting him because of his new differences. Another dude wanted to be just like him, and he wanted the surgery to make him the same, the surgery failed and I believe he passed away, I pulled you out of the crowd because if figured you would know? It was actually a good film to me...:cool:if you can figure out the name id be happy...:cool:

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This sounds like a pilot or a TV movie and not a movie... but it's hard to say. The list is pretty huge!

List of fictional robots and androids - Wikipedia

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  17. Johnny Rocker

It was a movie, I'm pretty sure it was Euro, but it was about a dude that had a horrible accident, and scientist had the tech. to turn him into a robot, he kind of looked like 3-pio, but with clothes. People trashed him out because he was different, ya gots to feel for a dude like him. Acceptance came very slow. One other scientist or business man, became envious and wanted the conversion, but the scientist said it wouldn't work a 2nd time. Plus the envious one was in great shape, and I think you have had to have been torn up for it to work, He died from the surgery failure. Thanks Vidiot, ill look for it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  18. Sounds like "Who?" With Elliott Gould based on Algis Budry's novel.

Who? (1974) - IMDb

Vidiot likes this.
  19. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

50, no way can I put that list together. I would put the classic Forbidden Planet at the top.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's a great movie in every way. I'm also a big fan of This Island Earth, a movie that came out around the same time but gets much less respect.

Ron Scubadiver likes this.
  21. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Have you put an Inerocitor together yet? ;)

22. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Now I have to look for "This Island Earth".

23. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I don't know if I can get to fifty... Solaris (original), Metropolis, Silent Running, War Of The Worlds, Planet Of The Apes, Forbidden Planet, Shape Of Things To Come, This Island Earth, Logan's Run (controversial choice), Moon, Ikarie XB-1 (most obscure choice), Alien, Blade Runner, Fifth Element, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (original), Sleeper (comedy choice), hmmm, running out here.

24. JMGuerr

JMGuerr Forum Resident

A top 10

Metropolis (1927) Fritz Lang
    La Jetee (1962) Chris Marker
    Solaris (1972) Andrei Tarkovsky
    2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) Stanley Kubrick
    A Clockwork Orange (1971) Stanley Kubrick
    Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004) Michel Gondry
    Doctor Strangelove (1964) Stanley Kubrick
    Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956) Don Siegel
    The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951) Robert Wise