Yucky Christmas songs...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indy mike, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Wrong.. Yanni and John Tesh are the guest artists. ;)

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Jingle Cats is quite disturbing!

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

..after all these years hearing this, I kinda get a Holiday feeling when I hear it...just so dam novel!:laugh:

4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

OMG, so that's who's version that was? I heard it on the radio the other day and couldn't believe how off-key the lead singer was. :shake: He sings sharp the whole song. I kept waiting to see if he'd fall into the key, but he never does. Makes me appreciate Mike Love's vocals. :help:

5. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I actually like that song. It makes me feel good, unlike many Christmas songs. :sigh:

6. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

I will add my disgust for "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer". It has been getting fewer plays this year from what I can tell. :thumbsup:
    "Feliz Navidad" is another one that grates on me. It's the "Revolution #9" of Christmas songs, it seems like it will never end.

7. posieflump

posieflump New Member

Shoot me down if you like, but I've never liked "Do They Know It's Christmas?" Yes, a good cause (and I bought it first time round - still have it), but it doesn't stop it being a lousy song. The latest version (which sounds like a random edit of different recordings in different styles) only highlights this fact, in my opinion. Bah! Humbug!

And may I close by wishing everyone a happy holiday, regardless of their religious persuasion or beliefs? May I? Thanks!

Mart.

8. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I'ma huge R&B fan but there is nothing worse than the Pointer Sisters' Santa Claus is Coming To Town on A Very Special Christmas. It is so bad and it's the lead off song on the CD. It ruins the whole CD for me.

9. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I agree, actually. I quite liked the song when it came out and it still touches me in some ways but it really is pretty lame for the most part. Some of the lyrics in particular are very stupid:

Yes, thank god it's them! :rolleyes: :shake:

The worst, most moronic verse of all:
    No snow in Africa this year, really? :confused:

Do they not have more important things to do, like try to survive?

...and it all ends with one of those seemingly never ending choruses. :help:

10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

1) Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer - I agree, it is on my Christmas *hit list also. Did you ever hear one of Johnny Cash's Christmas greetings where he wishes that someone would shoot that "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" guy? :winkgrin:

2) I think that Paul McCartney's Wonderful Christmastime is a classic - but only in small doses. To me, it is what Christmas songs are all about: short, bouncy, catchy....

3) I agree about the Manhole Steamboiler. Too bombastic for me!!
    4) I agree about the Pointer Sister's version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town

5) I heard a version of Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) in the store the other day that almost made me vomit up eggnog, and I haven't had eggnog in about 5 years! Who does this version - it is done by a female, and parts of the song are almost note for note, like the sax solo in the middle. Whoever is singing it is totally unbelieveable (IMO), she sounds like "OK if you don't come home for Christmas, I'll make do"

:confused:

11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

"Grandma Got Run Over..." Yuck! :thumbsdn:

Sir Paul's "Wonderful Christmastime" :thumbsup:

But, the Grammy goes to The King for "Santa Claus Is Back In Town" :righton:

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'll probably get slammed for this, but I LOATHE Peggy Lee's "Jingle Bells". It used to be on the holiday tape played at a restaurant where I worked, and whenever it came up, I'd RUN to the machine to skip it. That "I love a sleighride!" chant made me want to kill someone - UGH!

13. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Stevie Nick's take on Silent Night. She sounds like a nanny goat with a head cold!

14. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Oh man, I've got to find a dub of THAT one! :laugh: :righton:

15. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I've never cared for Melissa Etheridge's bland cover of "Happy Xmas (War is Over)." A classic example of a cover that only makes you long to hear the original ...

16. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Anything with Betty Boop.

17. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

No worries there, Brad! I love the Muppets. They can do no wrong. I always play the John Denver and the Muppets Christmas CD every year! :righton:

18. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Not one, but 3! Miracles (1994), Faith (1999), and Wishes (2002). Hosannas!

19. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Which once again reminds me of one of Norm MacDonald's most brilliant moments on Saturday Night Live's Weekend Update.

After announcing that Kenny G just released a new Christmas album, Norm pauses and says:

"Happy birthday Jesus. Hope you like CRAP!" :D

Dan C

20. joefont

joefont Senior Member

I thought I was the only one who hated this song! It's so friggin' lame. I cringe every time I hear it! :thumbsdn:

And speaking of Christmas songs......

Whenever I listen to the song "Do You Hear What I Hear?" and hear the lyric, "A child, a child shivers in the cold, let us bring him silver and gold", I'm thinking, silver and gold? The kid could use a blanket, ya think? :confused:

21. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I can see where that one would get old fast if you had to listen to it on a daily basis, but since I only play it a couple of times each holiday season, I still find it more clever than annoying.

22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I love the Muppets as well.

23. EricF

EricF Well-Known Member

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra makes me laugh everytime. Reminds me of one those 80's hair-metal band that just won't give it up.

24. RDK

RDK Active Member

I actually kinda like "Grandma." It's so offbeat - a black comedy X-mas song - that it makes for a fine novelty tune. I agree with other posters re: the Jingle Cats and barking dogs songs. Very annoying. The McCartney track is also one of the worst X-mas songs by a top act.

Can't comment, but has anyone heard the Tull X-mas album?

25. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

Have you folks ever REALLY thought about "Little Drummer Boy?" I mean, here's this young virgin woman (and her spouse) who has just carried a child for 9 months, is making a forced pilgrimage to another city so some imperious schmuck can have his census so as to screw the people out of MORE TAXES. There's no room at the inn, so they have to put up for the night in a stable. Then, without a midwife in attendance, she delivers a little baby boy and has to place him in an (at least) fairly unsanitary manger and gets the little guy off to sleep.

And now some other kid shows up and wants to play DRUMS? You're a good kid, drummer boy, and your heart's in the right place, but let Mom and Joseph and Jesus catch a few Z's. It's been a long and eventful day. Take a hike!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.