Zappa reissues coming on vinyl.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chumlie, May 7, 2013.

1. asodoma

asodoma Senior Member

I guess I wasn't expecting to see a brand new release of Mothermania at the record store today. No 7, pressed at Furnace. Bernie Grundman again, too. Totally excellent pressing, as usual.

Ben Adams and Echoes Myron like this.
  2. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

3. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

4. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

The MD description says it is the BG cut...which is excellent.

5. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...from Zappa.com
    Hot Rats album will be pressed on limited edition translucent hot pink 180-gram vinyl featuring the 1969 mix mastered from the original analog master tapes by Bernie Grundman in 2008 and pressed at Pallas in Germany

jazon and eyeCalypso like this.
  6. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

It do!

Echoes Myron likes this.
  7. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Does someone have a list of the reissued LPs that have been sourced from the analog tapes?

8. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Absolutely Free (Bonus Disc is Digital)
    Lumpy Gravy
    Hot Rats
    Burnt Weeny Sandwich
    Weasels Ripped My Flesh
    Chunga's Revenge
    Overnite Sensation
    Apostrophe
    Roxy & Elsewhere
    One Size Fits All
    Zoot Allures
    Zappa In New York (Bonus Disc is Digital)
    Sheik Yerbouti
    Orchestral Favourites
    Joe's Garage

Also Analog:
    Lumpy Gravy: Primordial
    Finer Moments

9. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Forgot to mention "Crusing With Ruben & The Jets" which is also AAA.

10. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Don’t fall into the AAA only trap on these. The versions with a digital step still equal or surpass original pressings.

Here’s Michael Fremer on Freak Out: "Uncle Meat" and "Roxy and Elsewhere" Reissued On Vinyl By Zappa Records/Barking Pumpkin Records—Sources Revealed

And here’s his review of Uncle Meat: "Uncle Meat"—Frank Zappa's Soundtrack Album to a Movie He Correctly Predicted You Would Never See

What it comes down to is, if these albums are important to you, get the vinyl reissues. Play the reissues. File away or sell your originals.

11. citizensmurf

I agree, I was just curious about which ones have been reissued with "improved audio". I have all the 2012 cd improvements, thinking I would be okay with them, but now I'm thinking that getting the vinyl upgrades wouldn't be such a bad idea. Especially since the originals go for stupid money in NM condition.

I guess my question should have been what are the reissued LPs with improved sound. I'm guessing all that have come out since 2013?

Ben Adams likes this.
  12. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

That's my personal belief, yeah. Although - oddly, the digital version of Finer Moments sounds better than the vinyl to me - more definition. Not sure why. At least that one's not core catalog.

13. citizensmurf

So what others have come out since 2013 with improved sound? I haven't been paying attention to these reissues.

14. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I have the reissues of One Size Fits All, Overnite Sensation, Roxy/Elsewhere, and Joe's Garage. All sound fantastic and at least as good as original pressings. OSFA is even better than my original and might be one of the best-sounding LPs in my collection.

I really hope they can do an LP reissue of Läther, all analog if possible. Does anyone know if analog masters exist for Läther as it appeared originally?

15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Can anyone here tell if "Waka/Jawaka" is ever going to get a new vinyl release? This one should have already been done...thanks in advance.

Ben Adams and Echoes Myron like this.
  16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I think we’re all wondering about it. There’s only a small group of albums from that era that haven’t been done yet - others are JABFLA, Fillmore East, Grand Wazoo, and Bongo Fury.

Seems to me a case can be made for expanded editions of every one of them, so maybe that’s the hold up.

I’m 53 and would like to see the classic catalogue reissues finished before I’m in a nursing home or living in my stepdaughter’s attic. Lather and other stuff can effing wait until the above are done!!!

17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

It would be awesome to see Grand Wazoo, Bongo Fury, and Waka, all released next year. Big fan of all three, and now I will have to fire up my original LP of Bongo Fury this afternoon, what a kick a$$ record!

18. Rather than Bongo Fury, I'd much rather an entire show from that tour released, such as the El Paso show in its entirety.

heepsterandrey, quicksrt and scotti like this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

That would be nice. I am more interested in Waka and Wazoo since I only have CD's of them but have an original LP of BF...but hell, bring them all on.

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I'm hoping (and expecting) that they'll do a release like the Orchestral Favorites reissue, the BF album plus as much of the complete shows as are available.

21. Jakeandcompany

Jakeandcompany Forum Resident

A number of the upcoming reissues are included in the Udiscover Black Friday Sale at 30% Off. Also can stack coupon code UD20OFF for another 20% off for your first order.

Frank Zappa – uDiscover Music

22. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

Zappa in NY has been around $20 on Amazon US lately , great price for 3 LPs and the bonus disc also sounds great

ODShowtime likes this.
  23. Thanks for the tip.

Echoes Myron and japhyman like this.
  24. danner

danner Forum Resident

Yeah, it’s been hovering in my Amazon wishlist since preorders went live, but I finally had to pull the trigger at that price.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  25. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

The New York vinyl is definitely worth $20! The bonus disk sounds huge.