DCC Archive Zep - "Presence" on Classic just arrived...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Unknown, Nov 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown

Unknown Guest Thread Starter

Had a wonderful weekend listening to new stuff i got from red trumpet.
    doors - strange days (DCC)
    dylan - highway 61 (sundazed)
    zep - presence (classic)
    zep - I (classic)
    jimi - axis bold as love (classic)

first off "presence" is amazing, i have always loved this above all other zep because it has a creepy sound, i know some people find the vocals oddly mixed kind of muddy. the guitar sound that jimmy got on this album is fantastic though. i always feel that this and robert johnson both have this odd feel about them, the essence of blues.... i can never understand why people don't rate it maybe its just more difficult to get into. anyway i highly recommend it, zep 1 is also fantastic ("babe i'm gonna leave you" is stupendous) i think classic have done a good job. the same with the hendrix although being mono some of the effects are lost but on other tracks (esp little wing) you get total ear candy.

once again steve's work is fantastic i have been getting into the doors since i received some nice german pressings of "american prayer" and "wierd scenes from the goldmine". i had CD's of there work which just burried their sound and never played them. strange days just hangs in the space in my listening room i find that the music becomes totally engrossing. a friend who listened said the doors sound almost new like he had never heard it before,its unbelievable that it was recorded so many years ago....

i haven't listened properly to the dylan so can't comment yet.

this revival in listening to my vinyl has been one of the best things i ever did and it didn't even cost that much (arround $450 , micro seiki and grado gold). it has this floating quality and 3 dimentional effect that you battle to get on CD. to get as much out of CD i would be spending $$$$ and all just to sound analogue.

2. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Thanks for the review. I like Presence, although it's quite a tangent from their earlier work. For me One, Two, Three, and Physical Graffiti really stand out. They kind of rejected their blues roots in Presence, don't you think?

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

"Presence" is still very complex and creative, and "Achillies Last Stand" alone doesn't make it sound like Zep's "Quickie". I think even Robert Plant recorded that while his foot was in a cast. Someone told me he was in a wheelchair? The artwork that Hipgnosis did was nothing short of briliant. Hard-core Zep fans bought porcelin replicas of "the Object", which was released as a Swan Song promo for the album.

Anyway, you got yourself some of the nicest releases that Trumpet has to offer. Dylan, you're sure to love as we're all scooping up everything Sundazed is releasing. Not one Mono Dylan has been dissapointing.

4. Unknown

Unknown Guest Thread Starter

Its funny that you should say Presence isn't blues like because i know what you mean but in some way i find that it captures the spirit of the blues in that murky sound that they had for the record. i was listening to Nobody's fault but Mine, wow now that is full on blues, can anyone match Bonham's drumming.

its funny that people don't comment on classic records on this site, we seem to talk more about Mo-Fi and yet so far i have been very impressed with the classic record sound. of course sundazed is also wonderful esp the price. i have "bringing it all back home" and "highway 61" i believe blonde on blonde is due, can't wait

5. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

I'm glad you've brought that up. Exactly how does the Classic LZ issues stand with the original vinyl releases? Is the balance between the mid-range and bass exactly the same? Does it characteristically sound exactly the same? Why are they good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.