Zeppelin IV Target CD vs 32XD Japan 1st press

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Great One, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Great One

The Great One formerly known as SCARSE Thread Starter

Which do I go for? Target 1st West Germany press or 32XD 1st Japanese? there can't be that much difference, can there?

2. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

For me the 32XD. Both are very good, though. The thing I remember most about the shootout - I was a hundered shootouts ago - was that I could hear the wood in the acoustic guitar on "Stairway To Heaven". Impressive. You will have fans of both versions, so get both, compare for yourself, and keep the one you prefer.

3. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

The mastering is identical.

4. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I'm surprised, Ivan. ;)

5. ricks

ricks Senior Member

From everything I've read in this forum, the mastering is the same on all the non-remastered Zepp. I have the 20P2 and the Target of IV and they sound virtually identical. I believe any differences in quality can be attributed to the physical pressing? My feeling is if you have either the Target, 32XD or 20P2 your search for this great disc is over.

Rick

6. Most people will not be able to hear these pressing differences. It strongly depends on your hearing abilities as well as on the playback system.

Some people are able to hear these minor differences, and they are important to them.

I wouldn't loose any sleep over it, at least not in case of the Led Zeppelin CD's. There are other cases where these differences are a little big bigger and can be heard by more people.

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The mastering may be identical on all pre-remaster issues, but as I recall, some have the channels reversed. I'd like to see a list of which versions have the channels reversed.

8. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

The "un-remastered" pressing I heard recently (EU) had a little tape drag at the start of "Stairway" - the first acoustic guitar note bends up ever so slightly but definitely due to the tape coming up to speed rather than Jimmy bending the string. Is that on all the original "un-remastered" IV CDs?

9. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Great post. Says it all.

For the amount I listen to "IV" my scratched up Canada disc, sans booklet, is good enough. This one has the correct channel, but I don't have it with me at the moment to look at the particulars.

10. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

My early West German (non-target) has the channels reversed. Sorry, don't have the catalog number handy, but I can look it up when I get home. My guess is that it's only on that first batch, before the error was noticed and corrected. And my understanding is that the mastering between the two versions is otherwise identical, just reversed.

11. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Yup, it's on all of them.:agree:

12. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Hey Keith:
    I have an entry for the 'reversed-channel' database. The disc itself was made in West Germany (see scan)... it was sold inside a UK HMV CLASSIC COLLECTION LP-sized box (limited edition).... definitely reversed!!

:cheers:

Attached Files:

13. Actually, the first West Germany version (= the target CD) has the correct channel orientation.

Roland

14. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

I am very familiar with the reversed channels on this title, but I wonder: What's the point in having that reversed? Is only a thing that should be listened on right channel? Or is the indication that besides that, it has a bad mastering?
    Personnaly I do not find a difference hearing the palying guitar on one or other side, a dumb question for sure!

15. peter

peter Senior Member

I can add that having compared the JPN. for US Daio Kosan and JPN for US JVC pressings, there is a difference. One is definitelt better than the other, at least to my ears.

Peter

16. The only difference between the 32XD target, first Japan for USA non-target pressing, and WG target is that CBS/Sony DADC Japan, JVC-Victor, and PolyGram did the pressings respectively. All of the pressings are from good pressing companies.

The Diao Kosan is a later pressing.

The one in the above picture is a later 80s pressing made at WEA Record Service GMbh. They may have used the wrong digitial tape, but the pressing techology is identical to the WEA Mfg USA discs.

17. KeithH

Actually, the disc does not state that it was made in West Germany. It's a later pressing and looks like it could have come after The Wall came down.

18. KeithH

Which one do you prefer?

19. Otoniel, you can think of it as a great painting or photograph. You can look at this via a mirror, and it will still look pretty, but it's not the way the artist intended it.

20. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

My reverse-channel disc looks identical to the one above, but it's housed in a standard jewel case. The spine has the catalog "19129-2 / Europe: 250 008" and on the back at the bottom, below the copyright info, it states "Manufactured in Germany by Record Services GmbH, Alsdorf" (and again in French below that). It looks like that blurb was matted in later, as the background to that section is solid black, as opposed to the charcoal pattern of the rest of the back cover.

I assume Record Services GmbH is/was sort of the German equivolent of Columbia House or BMG? My guess is that this was the only pressing that was reversed, and that they simply reversed the tape they were sent somewhere along the manufacturing process.

21. No, it isn't. It is/was just the manufacturing company for many CD's.

22. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I honestly doubt I'd notice it much for any other song on the album, but for me, hearing the opening guitar for "Stairway..." in the left channel is simply burned in my brain, and yes it actually does sound "wrong" to hear it reversed.

I actually used to use "Stairway..." to test my system and speaker hook-ups, to make sure I had everything plugged in correctly. :agree:

23. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I did a shootout of these two and prefered the Target. It sounded like everything had a little more weight to it and I prefered that. Of course they both sound good but I prefered the target myself.

24. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Your disc is the same as mine .... mine is also housed in a standard jewel case, with the same rear tray card text .. HMV in the UK merely dropped the disc into a 'deluxe box' package and charged accordingly .. lol The booklet they included was worth it though.... :)

P.S. Note the yellow 'mid-price' sticker...sorta out of place in a premium priced box!!

Attached Files:

25. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

Nice analogy! Thanks Roland.

Ok thanks, I'll give a re-listen to my 32XD correct channel soon, thanks guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.