ZZ Top Cinco: The First Five LPs (5LP 180 Gram Vinyl) June 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masterbucket, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Cool. They were down when I was checking. Even better, $ 18.80 each !!!! These are Bellman, Grundman, Hoffman, and Grays guys !!!!!

DoF, driverdrummer and jon9091 like this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

mick_sh likes this.
  3. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I'm gonna go listen to the new Tejas again.

DoF likes this.
  4. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Might have to do it... if I could just have the first 2... but nooooo

5. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Thanks. That is a good idea.

Myke likes this.
  6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

7. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

The trifold cover of Tejas with viva texas in the deadwax is not so hard to find second hand in excellent quality and for not that much...it's more difficult to find the first record on london in excellent condition and for cheap...Perhaps you could wait...there is a big chance the records that are in the box will be sold individually before end 2018....if you have not find those two in-between, you will be able to purchase those two then...

artfromtex and Opeth like this.
  8. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Bought this on Amazon, item arrived double boxed and in EXCELLENT shape. Spun the first 2 LP's today.....very , very nice. I have a bunch of original pressings of all but the first album.

If you love this band and the music, grab this! Compared MUD to the original and this new disc is a tiny bit louder and fuller sounding. nice low end too. Vinyl is flat and dead quiet.

I'm happy to have these in a single box and on quiet pressings ...so far. :righton:

9. recordhead

recordhead Forum Resident

Got mine today from B&N ($90). My copy of MUD had a hard 3/4 inch piece of vinyl shaving in the inner sleeve. LP looks like its going to skip. Guess I'll find out after work.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  10. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

Do anyone know who pressed the EU version ?

11. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

What poster are you referring to for Fandango please? I have never seen one with this album just the inner bag with a stadium picture on one side and the band on the other. Thanks.

12. Javier Santivanez

Javier Santivanez Forum Resident

That is the one. The reissue has a separate plastic bag plus the stadium picture in a poster format. Cheers!

13. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

They all have R1 and then individual numbers scribed into the vinyl. Pretty sure that's Record Industry. As with the US release CB or SH/KG cuts.

14. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

So the UK edition does have the same mastering versions as the US?

15. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Aha. That's the RTI reissue in the US from a number of years back where the inner bag reproduction folds out into a poster. I forgot all about that. Lo and behold I have one lurking in my collection. Thanks.

Javier Santivanez likes this.
  16. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Looks (and sounds) like it to me.

17. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

I do think the US release is pressed at RTI.Maybe there is a difference there? Good to hear it is the CB or SH/KG cuts though!
    I am trying to determine if i have to buy this from the US or not. (expensive)

18. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

So Record Industry is the same plant that does pressings for Music On Vinyl. Say what you want about MOV's choice of sources but every single pressing I've got of theirs has been physically and sonically flawless. Can I say the same for RTI? Sadly no. Plating and pressing care makes all the difference in high frequency reproduction and top end clarity. If the sources are the same there is a good chance that the Record Industry version will be the smarter buy. Will be interested to hear peoples feedback on the EU set.

DoF and Metalrob like this.
  19. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

I totallt agree with you on this.The MOV pressings are Always very good! Would be strange if they dont use the same sources.
    I think i take my chances on the EU box.Placing an order right away! :D

DoF likes this.
  20. LoveandTheft

LoveandTheft Forum Resident

Just got my box from EU today; all vinyl looks visually perfect...a very good start.
    Some observations based on my existing copies:

First album - do not have any for comparison (CB in dead wax)

Rio Grande Mud - RTI version appears identical for the vinyl; Jacket is textured where the new one is not. Also the RTI jacket has a paste on for the back cover with textured surface. EU version not textured.

Tres Hombres - Both vinyl have SH KG in dead wax...RTI version has slightly taller photo height than EU version as well as front text Tres Hombres with paste on inner gatefold; EU version does not have paste on inner gatefold but does have cardboard sleeve for vinyl where the RTI version has insert only; both have paper- plastic inner sleeves

Fandango - Almost identical sleeves; EU version includes cardboard inner sleeve with paper-plastic inner sleeve where the RTI version includes insert only but has paper-plastic sleeve; both KG - SH in dead wax

Tejas - EU version of jacket is almost identical to my Red London Canadian version with cardboard inner; CB in deadwax

Overall impression after listening to first three albums is that the box is a great set at a great price; all of my vinyl copies from EU were perfect - definitely worth getting the box depending on if you do not have the RTI versions already

Carter DeVries, budwhite, DoF and 3 others like this.
  21. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

Thank you! Is there some way to tell where the EU version is pressed?

22. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

I was pretty sure it was Record Industry. However I have had another look at the deadwax and they all have a faint MPO.
    After a week with the set I have had two copies. The first had notable random very brief bursts of noise throughout the albums which no amount of cleaning shifted. This was particularly apparent on the 2nd to 4th albums. The second set has this again. My dilemma is do I send the set back to Amazon and get another replacement or give up? I have perfectly acceptable clean copies of the 1st and 5th albums which are very early 80s German pressings and the differences that the Bellman cuts give are minimal. I have the RTI pressings of the others and they are in my opinion better.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    DoF likes this.
  23. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

I Think you are just fine with the 2 german pressings and the RTI ones for now.
    Maybe...or probably they will split up the US box set and sell them separately soon,then you can replace the ones you feel like replacing!
    I ended up buying the US version from overseas based on the fact i could not find any info on the EU version.Considering what you just wrote maybe i did the right thing?

24. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

A shoot out between those five in the box and the original Us first pressings would be very interesting...Strange that there is only little improvement comparing to eighties warner german reissues that were not the original mixes if i recall correctly for the first album..Does someone know if the records from the box are AAA or not for fandango and the first album that are new cuts (rio grande mud and tres hombres from the box are the previous rhino cuts that were AAA I think) ?

25. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

You are right. It's a pretty expensive way to get for me two albums with very minor at best improvements.

Metalrob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.