Beatles U.S. versus Beatles U.K.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by richbuskin, May 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Why do people react so enthusiastically to trolls? This is a troller's paradise here. They even get defended.

2. richbuskin

richbuskin Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Yep, ’tis me.
    Check out swingingthroughthesixties.com

Rfreeman likes this.
  3. richbuskin

richbuskin Well-Known Member Thread Starter

That’s some “welcome”. A listener to my show actually suggested posting a related thread on your forum - because no one else has produced a show on this topic. However, as you’ve seen it all and know it all regarding The Beatles, I’ll post elsewhere in future. Sorry to bother you.

4. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Sorry to be rude, on the forum’s behalf. Threads on the Beatles just tend to turn into clown shows, with some very opinionated people (and some weirdos) coming out of the woodwork to argue vociferously.

5. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

And, unfortunately for the OP, "U.S. vs UK" Beatles discussions here never seem to end well, and most likely this one won't, either. Sorry, @richbuskin - hopefully you haven't been scared off the forum already...

6. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Hey, you misunderstand me. It's a running joke around here about the level of Beatles obsession and the fact that we've covered every single possible topic a million times. Don't stop posting here because of me, for goodness sake. You are very welcome here. Besides, I'm more of a Kinks-Stones-Who guy than the Beatles anyway. I don't know beans about them compared to the true obsessives here. My apologies.

zobalob and ohnothimagen like this.
  7. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The US albums have sentimental value to the original US fans but they're all inferior artistically to the UK's. The US Rubber Soul removes a classic (Nowhere Man) and adds the very ordinary It's Only Love

The one good thing to come from Capital was Magical Mystery Tour

8. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Check out these 94 pages of posts, with many being by a relatively few posters pissing back and forth across the pond at each other: The Beatles - Capitol years Vol 1 & 2 v The US albums box sets.

9. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Oh, I have, Dewey, I have- made a few posts in that discussion myself, though I myself didn't even produce a dribble, I don't think, let alone get pissy:laugh:

10. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

This is rerun season for SHF. You’ll notice many of the posts are cut-and-paste from last month’s thread.

DRM likes this.
  11. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I wasn't aiming this at you, but rather trying to demonstrate to Richard that this topic quickly becomes a nationalistic one, I've edited my response to include the OP's original post.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  12. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Everything from 1962-1963 sounds better with the echo! (Now just do a faithful recreation with the British masters and we'r golden.)

If you make your own best of the early years with the Capitol stuff......you'll never go back!

saborlord123 and DRM like this.
  13. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

It was just a complex discussion involving many factors and dimensions. Some
    mischaracterize the thread discussion in a narrow and pissy way. (But yet find themselves posting in these type of threads, nevertheless...) I guess to point a finger and wag...

14. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

You mean there was a difference? How so?

15. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Just listened to your show. Loved it! Not only was it interesting and loads 'o fun, it really put into very sharp perspective (for me, anyway) why I've been listening to the UK's almost exclusively since 1974. I did get interested in revisiting some of the US catalog recently...but after hearing the show I'm pretty much completely off that. Besides providing a really entertaining show, you've saved me a bunch of money!

Never mind detractors -- post as much as you like!

zobalob and richbuskin like this.
  16. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

17. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Not 100%. A fair amount of US fans prefer the UK. More generational IMO which is understandable

dewey02 likes this.
  18. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

I'm now starting to wonder if this recurring topic owes its existance to neither the US nor UK Beatles primary catalogue being entirely satisfactory to fans. The US catalogue (albums) omits some songs, has others drenched in reverb, while the UK catalogue (albums) includes some singles but not others, and omits the content of two EPs. For me there's no argument, the UK catalogue is best by a long way, but it's not tidy (from today's perspective).

MarkTheShark and ohnothimagen like this.
  19. Catfish Stevens

Catfish Stevens Forum Resident

The Beatles themselves considered the Capitol versions at minimum confusing when on stage promoting them.

20. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

While I mostly prefer the UK mixes/versions of songs, there are some of the U.S. mixes/versions that I prefer.

Anyone who takes an all or nothing approach -- "The U.S. versions are incorrect" -- is close-minded to a degree that I believe limits them... and their potential Fabs enjoyment.

As far as RS and Revolver are concerned, I prefer the UK track listings.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  21. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Again?!

22. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

No, the US versions actually pissed them off. Listen to the 1965 Beatles interview contained in @richbuskin's show. The Beatles say in no uncertain terms how displeased they were with the US versions. Completely unambiguous.

And even the Americans on the show, while through the show defending many of the choices made for the US albums, to a man end up saying they never listen to them. Telling, I'd say.

saborlord123, zobalob and richbuskin like this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

This year's white album( in anticipation) Anniversary hopefully will be mastered and manufactured well.

bherbert likes this.
  24. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Well said.

bherbert likes this.
  25. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Because you can't argue about it enough.

In the meantime, I'm going to start a "Would the White Album Have Been Better as a Single Album" thread.

onlyacanvasky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.