Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm listening to the bootlegged (not to mention mistitled) "Between Saved and Shot" material right now. I believe the SHOT OF LOVE sessions probably hold the biggest bounty of great studio gems from these sessions, but, boy howdy, these particular examples don't begin to justify that claim. I struggle to find a single track that truly demands inclusion. Maybe a couple could help fill up the discs, but they'd be filler. Anyone have any particular favorites that I should give another listen to? Offhand, I think "Mystery Train," "Almost Persuaded," and "Yes Sir No Sir" (aka "Hallelujah") are the ones I see the most potential in. But that's grading on a curve.

2. DeeThomaz

Never been clear why "Magic" was selected for the original track listing of the album, though I suppose it's in the same league as the other lesser Shot material.

3. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'm kinda partial to All The Way Down myself.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  4. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Absolutely! :agree:

DeeThomaz likes this.
  5. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

I agree with you, but there's someone over at expectingrain (you've most likely already seen it) who thinks there's a chance otherwise. I don't believe he's heard the tapes, and is just doing a (bad) bluff in the hope someone at Sony reads it and it twists their arm.

Expecting Rain • View topic - 1967 Copyright protection

Heart of Gold likes this.
  6. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

If I had a dollar for every time I heard about one of these mysterious collectors with a closet full of tapes "no one has ever heard!", living by some Samurai code never to reveal them to the plebes...

Sean, keef285, budwhite and 1 other person like this.
  7. keef285

keef285 Forum Resident

Expect to hear something between now and the middle of September with release in November........Gospel Years 6 - 8 discs and possibly for the first time a dvd in the usual square style box.

Sean, redsock, Hep Alien and 15 others like this.
  8. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

The more the merrier. Lets get some full shows please.

The Bard and redsock like this.
  9. Sean Murdock

Sounds great -- can't wait to get the full details!

10. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Nice!
    However, there was a DVD with the '75 Bootleg Series, but only 2 songs. It's a shame that no more video has been released up until now.

budwhite likes this.
  11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Wasn't that just on the Best Buy edition?

12. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I'm >99% sure I didn't get it from Best Buy and I have the DVD.

13. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

It wasn't an exclusive. I bought it from Tower Records on the day of release.

14. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I just checked Amazon. I bought mine from there.

15. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

that's 1965.

16. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Hoping for more live shows released individually and not from the gospel years.

17. Sean Murdock

Bootleg Series 12 included all the 1965 AND 1966 studio sessions, saving themselves from having to release two big boxes in consecutive years (and also keeping the BoB sessions together, which spanned both years). The Live 1966 box was the de facto "1966 Copyright Extension" release.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  18. DeeThomaz

Yeah. That's one's fun. So are "High Away" and "Is It Worth It?" But these recordings seem to work much better all together. Not sure if any of them stand up individually on a set like this. But who knows? I might be proven wrong when we hear 'em in top tier sound quality.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  19. revolution_vanderbilt

That's an important part. The rather poor quality of the bootleg no doubt affects our judgement. But this stuff, in sound and style, remind me of Paul McCartney's last sessions with Wings, months earlier. Doing songs that he would later record properly, but the sessions/rehearsals had the same half-baked quality that this Shot Of Love material has.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  20. DeeThomaz

These are the two posts on this thread that I think are most instructive as to what the official set will include. I'm bumping them.

@Mbd77 's was particularly good in identifying the known alternates from these sessions that might be very interesting. And @DagB did an fantastic job rounding up the range of Dylan's live performances in the era. The ones he put in bold (the then-unreleased originals and covers) warrant extra attention.

21. DeeThomaz

One known track @Mbd77 missed was the full band demo of "Every Grain of Sand" that sounds AMAZING. Recorded the same day as the BS1-3 version.

Sean, Yorick, dee and 2 others like this.
  22. revolution_vanderbilt

And where does one hear this?

23. DeeThomaz

Damned if I know. I read about it in the Heylin book. Didn't mean to imply I had it (I don't).

24. DeeThomaz

I can quote the passage though:

“Also cut the same day was a full band arrangement, which works a whole lot better, even if it does not appear that this version was ever considered for The Bootleg Series Vols 1–3, the acoustic demo being the one lodged with the music publisher. The band version represents more of an attempt to work out a full arrangement, trying to get “to a place where you can let it go.” Recorded with piano, Fender Rhodes electric piano, acoustic guitar, drums, and bass, the take starts with a simple guitar-piano accompaniment until Dylan reaches that “fury of the moment” line and Keltner kick-starts a full band arrangement.”

Excerpt From: Clinton Heylin. “Still On the Road.” iBooks. Still On the Road by Clinton Heylin on iBooks

He definitely seems to have heard it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  25. DeeThomaz

I'm very curious if a longer recording of "Yonder Comes Sin" exists. The circulating version has 4 verses, but the full song reportedly has seven. I don't know if the complete song was copyrighted with a transcription or a complete tape. In any case, it may not matter if Dylan again vetoes it's inclusion (as he reportedly did on BS1-3). But I hope he's mellowed out on this matter.