Genesis 2007 masters... can't listen to originals...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eleventh Earl of Mar, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I prefer the new Trespass and ATTW3. I can enjoy all the others except Trick of the Tail. I've listened to the original mix so many times, it is ingrained in my memory so the new mix sounds too foreign.

2. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

The original Trick CD is fantastic

3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

It is indeed. One of the best sounding albums of the 70's. I always wondered how come their two next albums were such a letdown productionwise considering the sonic gold they struck on ATOTT.

Mr-Beagle and yesstiles like this.
  4. Martyn

Martyn Forum Resident

I've been listening to Genesis since Selling England By The Pound (1973) was brand new. The 2007 remasters in IMHO sound fine, and I think the difference is greatly exaggerated, its little noticeable, to me. But at the same time they are not that necessary over the previous 1994 or so remasters, they are very nice as well. The 2007 do offer the surround sound mixes, so that is nice & did nice job in general, so very good. I probably would have been fine with the original CD releases, but IMHO again, the later remastering are an improvement. Trespass since 1994 has benefited greatly. It's as if a veil has been lifted from this recording, a vast improvement IMHO, the first time that I was able to actually enjoy this great album.

bluerondo and DrBeatle like this.
  5. Martyn

Martyn Forum Resident

Trick Of The Tail has always sounded very nice! No need to tamper with this one. I thought Wind & Wuthering always sounded fine as well. Than 3 sounded a little thin, but not too bad though.

6. Martyn

Martyn Forum Resident

We all have our preferences, no ones right, no ones wrong!

7. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I've picked up all the 2007 remixes on vinyl from Trespass through Duke, and I prefer the new mixes and vinyl quality of every single one of them to the original US pressings I had.

8. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I have the new Seconds Out on vinyl and I think it sounds superb! I have not heard any of the studio releases. I have an original UK press of SEBTP and I think it sounds awful in comparison to the '97 DE cd that I have. :agree:

The Slipperman likes this.
  9. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

CybrKhatru likes this.
  10. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

They really needed to leave the Hugh Padgham stuff alone. The earlier albums, you can argue, might have needed some extra punch (I'd agree, and say the mastering is more the issue with all of these), but the Padgham mixes were damn perfect for the material, IMHO. And Davis was the wrong choice for mixing duties across the board, again IMHO.

11. notgoblin

notgoblin Habitual Linestepper - not dancer

I'm enjoying them too. Sometimes I feel like a bigger brighter sound, and can always listen to my originals when I want a softer listen.

12. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Yep, and R-Kive contains the original Hugh Padgham stereo mixes for Abacab, Genesis and Invisible Touch! Actually, R-Kive has improved the SQ for the Nick Davis remixes also...the We Can't Dance tracks have more tone and bass on R-Kive too...they sound fuller to me.

Scottb likes this.
  13. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

I have all the 2007>2010 Nick Davis remixes. They are not all bad. The major clunkers in the catalog are the ones issued in the blue box (Trick to Abacab). Something went drastically wrong in the mastering stage and they ended way too loud - but as the project went on they got better. The Gabriel era albums do tend to sound the best (but PG did have a hand in those ones as he rejected them to begin with).

I think really how Genesis & Co should of handled it is to do the the 5.1 Surround Mixes and remastered the original mixes and not created new stereo mixes. It kind of was the equivalent of getting the Mona Lisa and retouching it in Photoshop - not really needed as the original is how the artist envisaged it.

I agree on the R-Kive compilation. Those Padgham mixes are excellent - they didn't need remixing. The only one that needed a bit of TLC was the Mama album tracks but that was recorded in the early days of Digital and they were still putting the Studio together at 'The Farm' so i can understand why it sounds a little iffy.

14. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

Question - Was there ever a reason given why they thought to switch from Hugh Padgham to Nick Davis as their producer? Phil was still using Hugh up until 1996 so i can't imagine it was down to him?

15. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I had most of the Virgin CD's before the re-mastered SACDs came out. The SACDs were a revelation to me when I played them. And the multichannel mixes are excellent too.

bluerondo likes this.
  16. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I feel the need to mention Nick Davies remixes of all the live albums. All of which, to me, are major improvements on the originals.

JamesLord likes this.
  17. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

100% agree, the new Seconds Out is fantastic and that is an album I have listened to too many times to count. I have bought the Davis remixes of Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, SEBTP, W&W and Seconds Out (all on vinyl) and think all of them are an improvement over the '94 remasters (the only other versions I had).

bluerondo likes this.
  18. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

The PG-era remixes are interesting.. I heard some tracks from them last week.
    But yeah, the Trick-->onward, I just can't. Originals all the way. Yes, I wish they were less muddy, drums more punch at times, sure. But all that bloody compression on the remixes just kills the atmospheres.
    I WOULD like to hear the live stuff.

19. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

I believe the construction of The Farm studio was started during the Abacab sessions and completely done when they recorded GENESIS. As for R-Kive, it's a must have for the SQ, but I don't think it sold very well? It's the best sounding Genesis compilation IMO. I don't own the 2004/2005 Platinum set, but that 2007 Hits Tour Edition 2CD is way too bright and thin!

20. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

I bought the 1976-1982 and 1983-1992 sets when they came out.

I tried to like them. I really did. But, the mixing decisions, the poor choice of EQ, and the overzealous use of compression and limiting absolutely KILLED the groove on every. Single. Song. I have since gone back to the original mixes on vinyl, and the original non-remastered CDs.

For those of you bemoaning the deletion of the original mixes, I believe that the original mixes (albeit the 1994 Definitive Editon Remasters) are readily available here in Canada. I was in the flagship (now more of a tugboat) store of HMV in Toronto last week, and there were a number of new, sealed 1994 editions in the rack. I recall chuckling to myself, thinking "So much for deleting the original mixes!"

21. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

I see nothing wrong with that. I'm the same way to some extent with The Beatles' early music. When I was growing up we had a choice in the record stores of either Capitol or Parlophone pressings. I'm still accustomed to the order and the differences in the masterings. I like the mono box set but 50 years of listening to the original Capitol pressings has left it's mark on my brain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.