How can I positively identify Steve's mastering of the Aja album by Steely Dan on CD *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rambo, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rambo

Rambo Active Member Thread Starter

Hello Steve and forum members. I think this may have been hashed out some time ago, but here i go. Along time ago i had an Aja disc i loved it of course, someway somehow i was relieved of it so i got one years later which is the one i have now. I had always thought the earlier sounded different and now i know why. My question to you Steve and members
    [Mod: new member's question edited to read:
    How can I positively identify Steve's mastering of the Aja album by Steely Dan on CD]

Rick

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2017
  2. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

lightbulb likes this.
  3. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  4. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

Ah! That's the other summary post I was looking for.

Has it been confirmed that 3 and 6 are different in any way from Steve's? I though I remembered from reading all the threads many months ago that the conclusion was that they were clones.

5. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

#3 does not sound like #7.

6. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

7. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

I'd like to hear a copy of his Aja. I know his sound for Katy Lied... which is a more natural realistic sounding vocal sound.... less trebly, more life like (imho).
    I was quite impressed with this presentation. I wonder if the Aja is like this also.

8. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

Do you own both? What are the differences?

9. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

The bass stands out more on the disc that our host mastered. The engineer mixed it on horn tweeters or drivers, so the flat transfer type of approach on #3 doesn't work like it does for other Steely Dan albums. It is well worth trying to track down the UK disc. I found a decent used copy on Amazon UK.

10. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Pick the one you think sounds best. Call it Steve's. Everyone's happy. Problem solved.

Ethan B, Blue Cactus and ibekeen like this.
  11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I found 3 different than 7 as well; I have never heard a 6 though. My thoughts on the matter are certainly chase a 7 if you want, but don't pass up a 3 as it is very nice as well. I put my thoughts on the two [here].

12. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Look another Aja thread...

@princesskiki and @SecondHandNews, let's move the discussion here.

I said this, " For Sale Steely Dan Aja Manufactured By JVC Japan for the US. Catalog MCAD-37214 DIDX 55, Matrix MCAD-37214 T6E13, smooth sided T2 case. Total time 39:57.65 EAC Levels 90.8/91.7/90.6/88.7/96.3/86.2/97.6. I'm sorry to report but this is NOT a Steve Hoffman master. That said it sounds damn good and is in beautiful condition. The booklet has some minor stop dimples and the case has some scuffs..."

@SecondHandNews responded with, "Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure the Japan for U.S. JVC pressing is indeed the Steve Hoffman mastering."

Said @mdm08033, "According to my research, the total time AND levels of the disc above don't match the famed UK Steve Hoffman mastering of Aja.
    EAC: 90.7/91.7/90.8/88.9/96.3/86.1/97.5 39:54.02 MCA UK MCLD 19145 "Mastered by Nimbus"

Said @princesskiki, "Hi Michael. I think someone here at the Forums concluded that because the JVC Japan for US, CBS/Sony Japan for US and the much later UK Nimbus discs are so similar in sound, they must be from the same source. I think Steve only confirmed that the UK Nimbus is from his mastering but I don't think he ever said that CBS/Sony Japan or JVC Japan discs are not from his mastering.

My personal guess is that all three are from the original digital transfer by Steve Hoffman and Gary Nichols, with one, two or all three having Steve Hoffman's EQ'ing."

Shall we? Lets...

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yeah.. got the uk CD Piccadilly address on back insert MCLD 19145
    (barcode 008811914523)
    Rich creamy sound.

14. alexpop

AJA
    The fades in the actual songs how long did they go on before till the fade i.e.;
    Peg?

15. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Most confusing topic ever on SHF :)

Tim

mdm08033 likes this.
  16. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Luckily there really isn't a bad-sounding version of AJA pre-remaster. I went through many different versions and finally realized I was hearing and not listening. Whatever version it is that I have, I'm thrilled with it.

mdm08033, George P and alexpop like this.
  17. alexpop

What's the opinion on the 1993 remastered cd best -Then And Now?

18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I think it only came across as confusing because people made it confusing. The Nimbus disc is Steve's (I've never seen one). Similarly, Steve's Who's Next is either made by Denon (matrix ending 6X) or an early US DADC. Not JVC or the Canadian disc that was made from a copy of Steve's mastering.

alexpop likes this.
  19. alexpop

Yeah ..I've got the Nimbus version.

Dave S likes this.
  20. alexpop

Blurb on album sticker says extended liner notes by Becker/Fagen.
    Just John Tobler, no ?

21. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

OK, which one of you just outbid me on eBay for a copy of the Hoffman mastering that wasn't marked as such? :) I was the high bidder for a week at $1.04! I knew I would have to bump up the bid at the last minute, but was too slow on the last bid.

Just kidding. If it was someone here, congrats. :righton:

22. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I, oddly enough, just obtained 2 copies of the UK Nimbus. One matches yours, the other is DMCL 1745, Brewer St address, 5011781174526. EAC levels are the same. Only listened to one yet but it sounds great. Not sure if I can tell the difference between it and my US DADC, Japan or Germany CDs, but I'll have fun trying to.

mdm08033 likes this.
  23. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I have a solution :confused:

Set up a petition to have Audio Fidelity reissue it on SACD with our host doing the remastering duties rendering the various masterings on the 30 year old discs moot.

24. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Steve has also said you can’t go wrong with an early pressing, as it’ll be either his or Nichols. I’ve got both and am happy either way.

George P likes this.
  25. Can confirm the answer shown just below this first post. Got one myself just this week, and it was worth tracking down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.