Is there a way to clean the dust out of record sleeves?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by colby2415, Sep 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have gone through about 3 packs of mofi sleeves which I really do like. I am planning on getting an RCM soon, or at least using a Diy shop vac versions. Anyways these inner sleeves are pretty costly here in Canada at nearly 1 dollar per sleeve all in with the shipping. I would like to avoid buying more but don't want to vacuum clean my collection to just put them back into dirty or dusty sleeves. Throwing out all these sleeves would be extremely wasteful to me. Is there a way to clean the inner sleeves out to reuse them? All the records put into these sleeves were cleaned with a microfiber cloth soaked in a alcohol/distilled water/ drop of dish soap, so they aren't filthy but dust is a problem in my home. Maybe vacuuming the sleeves out would be sufficient? But will that leave a static charge?

Any thoughts?

2. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Maybe a can of compressed air? Or if you have an air compressor, try that route first?

Madness, Carl Swanson and F1nut like this.
  3. arem

arem Forum Resident

4. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Maybe try those microfiber brushes that are used to attract dust when cleaning house.
    You are talking about the inside of the sleeve right ?

Robert C likes this.
  5. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

Occasionally I turn a sleeve inside out - makes it much easier to clean. A good soaking doesn't hurt either.

(Talking about inner sleeves that come with the LP)

6. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

Every time I clean a record, I also shake out the dust in the sleeve. I just insert my hand and arm all the way up inside, with the opening facing down, and start shaking. I do make sure my hand is clean, to avoid contaminating the inside of the sleeve.

I suppose wearing a cotton glove might be a good idea.

TommyTunes and Rolltide like this.
  7. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Once in a while I'll give it a zap with the Milty.

8. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Bingo! Doesn't have the issues associated with so-called anti-static brushes; the largest size is the most effective- more "blast."

Leonthepro likes this.
  9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Residue of refrigerant; use the Giotto's blaster mentioned in another post.

Leonthepro and toddrhodes like this.
  10. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I've switched inners once again. They all seem to leave some lint. The MA Records ones are like a woven material, porous, and seem to create less lint than the other fancy aftermarket inners.
    As you probably know, the vortex action of the record spinning can attract dust, so if any is visible after I play a record, I give it a blast with the Giotto blaster mentioned here.

11. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

I use and recommend Swiffer Dusters.

[​IMG]

Tartifless and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

It's a good idea and is probably effective, but the dusters use mineral oil as I understand it, perhaps not enough to noticeably impact your playback, but I don't want any residue of that, however small, on my records.

JimSpark likes this.
  13. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

I'd rather have the insignificant mineral oil residue than the dust particles and static.

I'll admit that Swiffer Dusters are not a perfect solution. But they're cheap and readily available, they seem to eliminate static, and most importantly, they always clean the dust out of the sleeves :righton:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

I just asked about those sleeves in this thread.

Micro scratches with Sleeve city diskkeeper

15. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

16. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Step 1-Turn the sleeve upside down.
    Step 2- Shake vigorously until dust gone. And a bit of blowing into the sleeve doesn't hurt either.

Dust is dust.

That's what I do.

TommyTunes, tin ears and Rolltide like this.
  17. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

Can compressed air, lightly squeeze trigger, light air flow, works fine.

18. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

When I have had a plastic inner with lots of static (noticeable because it clings to the record) I've opened it out and given it a few zaps with my Discwasher Zerostat. No more static, so it doesn't attract the dust.

dbsea likes this.
  19. colby2415

Never thought to use this but its a great idea now that I think about it. I have one of the smaller versions of these in my camera bag, but I will probably get one of the larger ones like the one you linked (more air moving).

20. colby2415

Good idea, and probably should have the outer and inner sleeve openings not at the same orientation. What did you mean by dust is dust? are you saying it's not something to be concerned about? As far as I am concerned its normal for vinyl to have dust issues.

21. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Yeah, just that you will always deal with it in one form or another. No need to overthink it.:cool:

22. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I would just get new sleeves. If there is dust, there is dirt, and probably more trouble than it's worth to clean it out somehow.

ghost rider likes this.
  23. colby2415

I think this in addition to using the rocket blower thingy should be sufficient. I never put a totally dirty record into a sleeeve, so I don't really think I have much to worry about OTHER than dust. My cleaning methods have improved but I always at least wiped down my records with a microfiber cloth and fluid.

interesting. I use mofi sleeves and i'm gonna see if it is possible to turn them inside out. I could probably wipe it with a damp cloth and that should be enough. (if they are extra dirty)

24. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall Forum Resident

At how many nanograms does accumulated dust inside a record sleeve become a threat?

bever70 likes this.
  25. You could use compressed air to blow them out, but this could create static electricity. With brand new MoFi records, they usually have already been charged with static electricity. The records are hard to remove from the MoFi inner sleeves and I have even held the inner sleeve by the bottom, with the opening on the downside, and the record won't slide out. After cleaning with my VPI HW-17 RCM, with no remaining static electricity sliding the record back into the MoFi inner sleeve recharges the static electricity. Maybe it has something to do with a dry climate, but I put those lined MoFi inner sleeves aside and put the records into new white inner sleeves and never have another problem.
    If your MoFi inner sleeves are accumulating dust, it's because they are generating static electricity sliding records in and out. Rubbing plastic against plastic creates static electricity. The higher quality the vinyl, the more susceptible it is to static electricity. Take an A&M or Atlantic LP pressed by Monarch Records in the 60's to 70's, for instance, it won't have much of a problem with static electricity. I believe that the vinyl Monarch used, if it even was vinyl, was of poor quality. Those same records, A&M pressed by Columbia Santa Maria or Atlantic pressed by Specialty Records, had problems with static electricity due to their higher quality vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.