Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Amazon Japan is the go.

2. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

Tell us more. Did you order before? What kind of shipping?

Musicisthebest likes this.
  3. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'm waiting for the possibility of a Disk Union boxed set of the George Harrison SHM-CDs.

dvcarrick and Mr. H like this.
  4. toilet_doctor

Japanese DU Box Set dealer responded to my inquiry:

"Disk Union still doesn’t announce if they do promo box or not.
    So I’m also waiting if they can do it
    ."

rstamberg likes this.
  5. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

I've succumbed & ordered All Things Must Pass through Amazon Japan. The basic price of this is the same as CDJapan. To ship to the UK Amazon Japan charge 1.050 yen for shipping & a further 1,010 yen for import taxes upfront. The import taxes part is considerably less than I'd pay through FedEx or EMS to receive the CD if I'd ordered through CDJapan as they add on their rip off collection fee.

I'll report on how long it takes or if there are any problems.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  6. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I order from Amazon Japan all the time. The packaging is very very well done and my items arrive in two days to the Washington DC area.

7. toilet_doctor

It's nice to know about amazon.jp option we have.
    And also, while no box sets yet, but individual CD DU dealers will offer Harrison albums on release date - that's for sure.

8. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Sorry just got back to this thread yeah never had problems with Amazon.Jp and quite often they do have cheaper prices than HMVJp or CdJapan

9. toilet_doctor

OK, let's move on.

First Mini LP title has been released in Japan this year was:

Jan. 11, 2017

R.E.M. Out of Time 25th Ann. Ed. 2 SHM-CD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"The contents of this release is identical to the worldwide release, except for SHM-CD format. Deluxe edition of "Out Of Time" release from R.E.M. Includes a bonus disc with demo tracks. This Japanese edition exclusively features SHM-CD format. Features cardboard sleeve. Comes with a folded poster in a clamshell box packaging."

It's not just identical, but they even do not bother to make their own cover and box:
    "Artwork uses imported items" - they said

[​IMG]

I don't think it worth to buy.
    For those, who love the album I'd recommend 2CD+Blu-ray Ed. with Hi-Res Stereo and 5.1 version + 8 live tracks hardcover Media-book Ed. at importcds.com for $41.50:

[​IMG]

As for me, I love Losing My Religion very much...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  10. toilet_doctor

P.S.
    To my surprise, Extra Texture took first place as the top seller (Mini LP album) at this moment. (Situation is changing every day).

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  11. toilet_doctor

One more 7" Mini LP Deluxe Edition from Sony:

Jan. 18, 2017

Journey Escape 35th Ann. Deluxe Ed. (7" Mini LP 2 Blu-spec CD2 + DVD)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Japanese original release. 35th Anniversary deluxe edition of "Escape" release from Journey. Consists of 3 discs. Disc 1 (Blu-spec CD2) includes the original tracks with bonus one(s). Features DSD Remastering, using the original analog master tapes. Both Disc 2 (Blu-spec CD2) and 3 (DVD) feature a concert held in Houston. This set includes the followings: four 7-inch-vinyl-sized cardboard sleeve cover artworks, a mini-reproduction of a pamphlet for the 1982 Escape tour in Japan, a mini-reproduction of a flyer for a 1982 concert at Nippon Budokan, and a mini-reproduction of a ticket for a 1982 concert at Nippon Budokan."

(translation)
    "Escape - 35th Anniversary Deluxe Edition [Blu-spec CD 2 + DVD Limited Edition] / Journey
    Japan's original project Deluxe Edition commemorating the 35th anniversary of the masterpiece "Escape" throughout the career, where the worldwide popularity of Journey has exploded. 7 inch · analog Encapsulate solid memorabilia in the single-size paper jacket specification.
    ◆ 7-inch analog · single size paper jacket specification
    ◆ 1982 Escape Japan tour path reproduction replica
    ◆ 1982 Budokan performance tour announcement flyer replica
    ◆ 1982 Budokan performance ticket replica
    ◆ Japanese version analog single board jacket replica (4 Species) Each of the three discs is a DISC 1 which was subjected to DSD mastering from an analog master, added in the Blu-Spec CD2 specification, and DISC 2 which recorded LIVE IN HOUSTON of 1981 on CD and DVD DISC 3. It collects the heyday live.
    ■ Complete production limited edition / Japan celebration debut / "Escape" 35th anniversary / Japan original plan / 2Blu-spec CD 2 + DVD / image privilege included / bonus track recorded / original release date: 1981
    "

Escape was remastered and released in Mini LP CD for a first time in 2006. Then 2nd DSD Remaster and release in Mini LP Blu-spec CD2 as a part of 8 Journey albums reissue in 2013 - OOP (Out of Print) and that DSD Remaster been used now for 7" Mini LP Ann. release.

2013 Pro Review:
    "Journey: Steve Perry (vocals); Jonathan Cain (guitar, keyboards, background vocals); Neil Schon (guitar, background vocals); Ross Valory (bass, background vocals); Steve Smith (drums).Recorded at Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California.Digitally remastered by Bob Ludwig & Brian Lee (Gateway Mastering Studios, Portland, Maine).Widely considered to be Journey's finest moment, 1981's ESCAPE virtually defined "arena rock," and became so popular that it even spawned its own Atari video game. Featuring the urgent anthem "Don't Stop Believin'" and the soaring ballad "Open Arms," the album showcases Neal Schon's dynamic guitar riffs, Jonathan Cain's bold keyboard lines, and, most importantly, singer Steve Perry's powerhouse vocals. Although the San Francisco-based band achieved success both before and after ESCAPE, which also includes the plaintive "Who's Crying Now" and the wistful "Still They Ride," it stands out as the one record to own for anyone even remotely interested in Journey."

[​IMG]

12. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

At the top of this thread, there's a photo of the LPs, but are there any photos that show the packaging for the mini-LP CDs we're discussing here?
    I'm interested in a mini-LP version of "All Things Must Pass" but only if the packaging is identical to the original album -- but reduced in size, of course.

13. toilet_doctor

All Things Must Pass

"Paper jacket reproducing miniature first edition LP in the UK (* EU first edition)" -- Universal Japan

"A mini LP is a CD version of something that was originally released as a 12" vinyl LP.
    They are also known as "LP replicas" as they tend to exactly replicate the original packaging of the first vinyl release
    ."
    (from the minilps.net site, which covers 13.000 Mini LP releases and more)

That's what Mini LPs are all about:
    They are a miniature replica of corresponding LP 1:1 with entire inner packaging + insert of white paper with complete lyrics and credit info. Sometimes they add some memorabilia like tickets replica for the live albums or replica of LP Center Stickers as a bonus, but additional to the Original Packaging. New LP release is based on Original UK release Artwork and these Mini LPs are replicas of it coming out on the same release date. It's something that never been before.
    One more time: It is parallel release with the same packaging - I'm sure.
    Can you see thin box of All Things on the picture? That will be in mini version with two Mini LPs inside.

Here are the pictures of the first Japan Mini LP 2001 release All Things Must Past:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, they decided to use the color picture for the Cover-box, because they built black and white All Things Promo slipcase box that can hold about 10 Mini LP CDs.
    This time, however, there is no box (yet), so they will do Cover box in black-in-white (my prediction).

Here is Original Japan George Harrison All Things Must Pass Promo Box (I just bought, as we speak for $64 + $5 sh. - brand damn new).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(The photos are not so good, but box is classy).

Mini LPs are pieces of Art themselves.
    One guy contacted me for the advice. He was not interested in the Music at all, but only in collecting the most beautiful Mini LP Covers. "It's fascinating" - he said. And I agree.

Please read my Post #121 at our tread Intervention Records Hybrid SACDs (page 5) with a Mini LP packaging sampler:
    Intervention Records Hybrid SACDs »

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  14. fspadafora

fspadafora Forum Resident

Actually I would not call the 2001 ATMP release a mini-LP. That was they way it was released it worldwide and was not replicating a LP. That was just a small box CD format. This new Mini-LP I am sure will be a perfect replica of the original vinyl LP and of a much higher quality compared to the 2001 set.

Jerry Horne and toilet_doctor like this.
  15. toilet_doctor

Agree and will tell more:
    I always recommend to start with Japan Mini LP from 2008 and on, as quality was improved and covers, and sound as well.
    I want to talk about more (very soon).

Universal Titles (coming tomorrow):

Jan. 25, 2017

Andwella World's End
    Andwella People's People

Camel S/T + 2
    Camel Mirage + 4

Deep Purple Perfect Strangers
    Deep Purple The House of Blue Light

Georgie Fame Rhythm And Blues At "The Flamingo" + 13
    Georgie Fame Fame At Last + 9
    Georgie Fame Sweet Thing + 9
    Georgie Fame Sound Venture + 9

Spooky Tooth It's All About + 5
    Spooky Tooth Spooky Two + 7
    Spooky Tooth Ceremony: An Electronic Mass
    Spooky Tooth The Last Puff + 4
    Spooky Tooth You Broke My Heart So...I Busted Your Jaw + 1
    Spooky Tooth Witness

Rod Stewart An Old Raincoat Won't Ever Let You Down
    Rod Stewart Gasoline Alley + 1
    Rod Stewart Every Picture Tells A Story
    Rod Stewart Never A Dull Moment + 1
    Rod Stewart Sing It Again Rod + 5
    Rod Stewart Smiler + 2

Tygers Of Pan Tang Wild Cat
    Tygers Of Pan Tang Spellbound
    Tygers Of Pan Tang Crazy Nights
    Tygers Of Pan Tang The Cage

and more from Uni:

March 8, 2016

The Velvet Underground The Velvet Underground & Nico
    The Velvet Underground White Light / White Heat
    The Velvet Underground The Velvet Underground III

Carlox and jlf like this.
  16. toilet_doctor

(from another thread)

"In 2008 Uni Japan started second wave of 24-bit remastering with SHM printing - it was local Japanese remaster. For two years they remastered a lot of Classic Rock and Prog albums like 10CC, Camel, Caravan, Traffic, Free, Steely Dan, Wishbone Ash and more.

When they decided to go Mini LP for SHM-SACD series in 2013, I sold my Uni Mini LP releases. "It's time to step up to hi-res" - I thought. Now I have a big chance to renew my collection again, since they started reissue those 2008-10 titles, I mentioned.
    Recently they announced on Jan. 25, 2017 following SHM Mini LP CD w/2009 Remaster:
    Deep Purple Perfect Strangers and The House of Blue Light, Rod Stewart first 6 albums and Camel first two albums. (These two Camel albums were not remastered in 2009 and will be released with 2002 Remaster).
    (Parallel with these releases they will release some other Mini LPs, unrelated to their 2008-10 Remaster).
    Thus, I'm expecting them to reissue over 100 classic titles in SHM Mini LP in 2017.
    The price has not changed - currently about $ 24. Are they worth it? Absolutely!
    I have to admit: I regretted many times that I sold them.

How do they sound? In short, from good to very good.
    First of all, at the time Uni took that Remastering Project very seriously. It were nothing less, but the Numbered Editions. Each title had additional thick black paper insert with facsimile LP Center Label and Copy Number (like they were not their own, but licensed from somebody else titles). I don't know how many copies Uni main office permitted them to press. (I did not see more than 3000).
    They named this project simply Papersleeve Reissue.

I still have Deep Purple Perfect Strangers copy. (I thought it's a Warner release and l didn't sell it).
    The Polydor LP Center Label insert states: "Your Copy No. 1725".
    Does the limiting pressing effect sound quality? I have no doubts.

Credit Info gives idea how serious they were:
    Papersleeve Reissue Staff:
    Artwork research: Strange Days [Japanese label]
    Artwork Co-ordinator: Chihiro Nozaki (Face Design) and Tetsunari Yosimura (Universal Music LLC)
    Mastering Engineer: Hitoshi Takigushi (Universal Mastering Studios)
    Product Manager: Minoru Harada (Universal International)
    24 bit Remaster 2009
    Original sound recording by PolyGram Records, New York 1984.
    Produced by Roger Glover.

Printing, craftsmanship, packaging with full color cardboard inner sleeve and lyric insert - top notch, as only Japanese willing to do for 24 bucks.
    Sound:
    I put it on... sound is open and airy with excellent deep bass. Good dynamics. Bottom end and mid are very clean. If not a bit of brightness (just a little) in vocal on the main tracks, I would move it in a border of Outstanding/Very Good category (two extra tracks are without any brightness).
    Music-wise: It's (Blackmore, Glover, Gillan and Lord) back-to-the-roots excellent album, which will cut 30 years from your shoulders. Title track gave me a chill across my spine. Another great one is Track #8 Mean Streak. But the biggest surprise Track #10 instrumental with mind-blowing Blackmoore solo passages. Thank you Ritchie and everyone who put his Soul in this Edition. A must..."

I wrote that a couple month ago, but now I decided to try The House of Blue Light again in 30 years. Yes, I didn't like it on a first place and never listen to it 'til today. Just I heard Gillan voice something clicks inside me. Mama, what have I done... First track is great, so is second one and two more down to the end. Just 7min Stangeways worth the price. The rest are not bad songs either.

I have to apologize to the band for putting this album down and people were looking to each other and did the same, causing band to crush.
    I am happy to add it to my order.

Please guys try it by pressing time link in a song list:

The House of Blue Light

01 - 00:00 Bad Attitude
    02 - 04:45 The Unwritten Law
    03 - 09:22 Call Of The Wild
    04 - 14:15 Mad Dog
    05 - 18:50 Black And White
    06 - 22:32 Hard Lovin' Woman (2x)
    07 - 29:24 The Spanish Archer (w lyircs)
    08 - 35:00 Strangeways
    09 - 40:55 Mitzi Dupree (w lyrics)
    10 - 46:00 Dead Or Alive

17. toilet_doctor

We will discuss some titles on the list.
    To finish with Purple I have to point out one importing thing:

Deep Purple Perfect Strangers
    Deep Purple The House of Blue Light

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release. The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK first pressing LP design (gatefold), including an inner sleeve. Features SHM-CD format and 2009 remastering. Includes an obi faithfully replicating the one with the Japanese first pressing LP. Comes with lyrics and a description".

(translation)
    Perfect Strangers [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] / Deep Purple
    [Premium Paper Jacket Fair] After eight years since the dissolution of 1976, the first reunion of Deep Purple that revived with the golden second stage member. Melodious hard rock sound, popular at the late rainbow, was favorably accepted in the 80s heavy metal prosperity and crowded charts of each country. (Announced in 1984)

House of Blue Light [SHM-CD] [Complete production limited edition] / Deep purple
    [Premium Paper Jacket Fair] The reunion album second produced by the same second phase member for 3 years from the previous work. A catchy hard rock work on the extension line of the previous work boasting overwhelming completion degree, a mature sound lined by each member's career is developed. (Announced in 1987)

Furnished paper jacket + inner sleeve reproduced miniature first press LP in the UK
    ● First time Miniature reproduction of the design of Japan's first edition LP band
    ● Remastered sound source in 2009
    ● Commentary with lyric bilingual

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This "Premium (Furnished) Paper Jacket" looks like embossed covers to me with exceptional attention to details.

purplebrazil, zappaien and jhm like this.
  18. toilet_doctor

Andwella World's End
    Andwella People's People

It's nothing to be proud of, but I've never heard word Andwella until Uni announced this new release two months ago. I tried it on youtube and was pleasantly surprised by excellent psychedelic rock with top notch guitar work, vocal and jazz-rock elements blended smoothly into the melodies. I dug deeper.

"The band began as a trio from Northern Ireland called Method, changing their name to 'Andwellas Dream' after moving to London in 1968. The trio were fronted by David Lewis (Guitar/keyboard/vocals), with Nigel Smith (bass/vocals) and Gordon Barton (drums). After the first LP they shortened their name to Andwella. 'Love And Poetry' was a highly-rated psychedelic album. The highlight of this album is surely the opening track, 'The Days Grew Longer For Love', which like most tracks is slow and melodic but with killer guitar leads. With the addition of Dave McDougall on guitar and vocals in 1970 they switched to Reflection Records for whom they recorded two albums The World's End album was also comprised entirely of David Lewis compositions, most of the tracks were with string orchestrations, brass arrangements and background vocals. Then Dave Struthers replaced Nigel Smith on bass and Jack McCullock joined as drummer. This lineup recorded the bands' last album, People's People, in 1971, after which the band broke up in 1972."

Uni released Adwella release in Mini LP for the first time:

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Andwella features SHM-CD format and 2016 remastering. The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK first pressing LP design (gatefold), including a poster. Includes an obi faithfully replicating the one with the Japanese first pressing LP. Comes with lyrics and a description. This series features the following titles "World's End" and "People's People."

(translation)
    "At the end of the century [SHM-CD] [Complete production limited edition] / Andwella
    [Premium Paper Jacket Fair 2016] The second piece was announced again with a simple name of the band name, with András Dream, formed by the center of Dave Lewis from Northern Ireland, organized by four people. In the hard and progressive sound developed from psychedelic, British rock 's hidden masterpiece, incorporating the southern approach that blossoms later. (Announced in 1970)

● double-page spread jacket + poster reproducing miniature first press LP of the UK
    ● first miniature reproduction of Japan's first press LP band
    ● latest remaster sound source in 2016

People's People [SHM-CD] [Complete production limited edition] / Andwella
    [Premium Paper Jacket Fair 2016] Dave Lewis led by Andwella's third work. Strengthening the southern American direction that budded in the previous work, The. Roots rock that also leads to bands. A masterpiece that captures the hearts of listeners for a long time as an album representing British Swamp, which is compatible with the unique sense of Britain. (Announced in 1971)"

Please try this:

and that by pressing on the time buttons:
    Andwella World's End

1. Hold on to Your Mind 00:00:00
    2. Lady Love 00:03:50
    3. Michael Fitzhenry 00:08:04
    4. I'm Just Happy to See You Get Her 00:11:34
    5. Just How Long 00:14:31
    6. World's End, Part I 00:17:47
    7. World's End, Part II 00:20:44
    8. Back on the Road 00:23:09
    9. I Got a Woman 00:26:31
    10. Reason for Living 00:29:27
    11. Shadow of the Night 00:32:35

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ended up adding Andwella to my order. I will comment on 2016 Remaster.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    zappaien and Paper Wizard like this.
  19. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Just ordered both Andwella cds. Never hear of them before but sounds great.

20. toilet_doctor

Rod Stewart The Rod Steward Album (An Old Raincoat Won't Ever Let You Down)
    Rod Stewart Gasoline Alley + 1
    Rod Stewart Every Picture Tells A Story
    Rod Stewart Never A Dull Moment + 1
    Rod Stewart Sing It Again Rod + 5
    Rod Stewart Smiler + 2

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Rod Stewart. The mini LP faithfully replicates its US first pressing LP design (special gatefold). Includes a bonus cardboard sleeve artwork, which replicates its UK first pressing LP design, including an inner sleeve. Features SHM-CD format and 2009 remastering. Includes an obi faithfully replicating the one with the Japanese first pressing LP. Comes with lyrics and a description. This series features the following albums: "An Old Raincoat Won't Ever Let You Down," "Gasoline Alley," "Every Picture Tells A Story," "Never A Dull Moment," "Sing It Again Rod," and "Smiler."

(translation)
    "Rod Stewart Album (An Old Raincoat Want Ever Let You Down) [SHM-CD] [Limited Edition] / Rod Stewart
    [Premium Paper Jacket Fair] A remarkable debut album by Rod Stewart, a rare vocalist representing Britain. Work with the flavor of the Jeff Beck group that he belonged to, a feeling of loose and fragrance of British tradition are living together. (Announced in 1969)"

● Special edition paper jacket reproducing miniatures in the first press LP of the United States
    ● Double-sided paper jacket plus inner sleeve which reproduced Miniatures first edition LP in the UK
    ● Miniature reproduction of the design of Japan's first press LP band
    ● 2009 Remaster sound source

I have never considered Rod's first album. Now I tried his First Album and added it to my order.

Listen to this:

As my order is swelling, my valet is shrinking. However, good part is: shipping is getting cheaper - about $3 per CD.
    I will comment on the sound.

Sing it Again Rod album features Cut-out cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boaz likes this.
  21. toilet_doctor

Camel S/T + 2
    Camel Mirage + 4

"Cardboard sleeve reissue. The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK first pressing LP design. Includes an obi faithfully replicating the one with the Japanese first pressing LP. Features SHM-CD format and 2002 remastering. Comes with lyrics and a description".

I love Camel and used to have 2002 first 24-bit Remaster set. Then I sold it in the wake of 2009 second Remaster. And it came, but these two albums were not touched and released with old 2002 remaster. And I decided do not buy them, while I love them a lot. Then in 2013 I was hopping on Platinum/SHM-CD release - it didn't happen. All of that I consider as slap in face.

They are great albums and gate-fold covers were made of heavy cardboard. I'm starving to have them, but at the same time I'm not going to encourage Uni to cut corners like that. I have enough guts to stop myself, voting by my wallet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uni,

Please make a good remastering and many music lovers will buy them again.

toilet_doctor

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    Carlox, Boaz, zappaien and 1 other person like this.
  22. toilet_doctor

Spooky Tooth It's All About + 5
    Spooky Tooth Spooky Two + 7
    Spooky Tooth Ceremony: An Electronic Mass
    Spooky Tooth The Last Puff + 4
    Spooky Tooth You Broke My Heart So...I Busted Your Jaw + 1
    Spooky Tooth Witness

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Spooky Tooth. The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK first pressing LP design. Features SHM-CD format and 2008 remastering. Includes an obi faithfully replicating the one with the Japanese first pressing LP. Comes with lyrics and a description. This series features the following albums: "It's All About," "Spooky Two," "Ceremony: An Electronic Mass," "The Last Puff," "You Broke My Heart So...I Busted Your Jaw," and "Witness."

(translation)
    "Spooky Too + 7 [SHM-CD] [Fully Manufactured Limited Edition] / Spooky Tooth
    [Premium paper jacket fair] Second album with high calls as their best masterpiece. As the US southern orientation got even stronger, the hard-rock approach was strengthened. Includes masterpieces "Waiting for the Wind" and "That Was Only Yesterday". Immediately after this work, base Greg Ridley will withdraw and join Humble Pie. (Announced in 1969)".

● double-page spread jacket reproducing miniature first edition LP in the UK
    ● first miniature reproduction of the design of Japan's first edition LP band
    ● remastered sound source in 2008
    ● 7 bonus tracks included

Still considering British band Spooky Tooth Spooky Two, as their strongest album on a heavy side (everybody points out). 2008 Remaster is exclusively Japanese and nowhere available - should be good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. toilet_doctor

Tygers Of Pan Tang Wild Cat
    Tygers Of Pan Tang Spellbound
    Tygers Of Pan Tang Crazy Nights
    Tygers Of Pan Tang The Cage

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Tygers Of Pan Tang. The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK first pressing LP design, including a poster, an inner sleeve, and a sticker. Features SHM-CD format and 2010 remastering. Includes an obi faithfully replicating the one with the Japanese first pressing LP. Comes with lyrics and a description. This series features the following albums: "Wild Cat," "Spellbound," "Crazy Nights," and "The Cage."

(translation)
    "Spellbound + 5 [SHM-CD] [Complete production limited edition] / Tygers of Pan Tang
    [Premium Paper Jacket Fair] This is the second album by Tigers of Pantin, a band representing New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Worked on as a genius guitarist, joined by John Sykes, not only the quality of the song but also the technical scale has also made a remarkable scale up. (Announced in 1981)"

● Paper jacket which reproduced Britain first press LP miniature + poster + inner sleeve + sticker
    ● First time miniature reproduction of the design of Japan's first edition LP band
    ● Remastered sound source in 2010
    ● 5 bonus tracks included

[​IMG]

Maybe someone can comment on this British Metal band of 80's...

24. toilet_doctor

This 6 titles were missed in the list of Uni titles coming on Jan. 25. So I will add them in the updated list soon.
    Angel S/T
    Angel Helluva Band
    Angel On Earth As It Is In Heaven
    Angel White Hot
    Angel Sinful
    Angel Live Without A Net

"Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Angel. The mini LP faithfully replicates its US first pressing LP design, including an inner sleeve. Features SHM-CD format and 2010 remastering. Includes an obi faithfully replicating the one with the Japanese first pressing LP. Comes with lyrics and a description. This series features the following albums: "Angel," "Helluva Band," "On Earth As It Is In Heaven," "White Hot," "Sinful," and "Live Without A Net."

(translation)
    "Angel's aesthetics [SHM-CD] [Complete production limited edition] / Angel
    [Premium Paper Jacket Fair] A debut album by Angel, a hard rock band that appeared in white costumes found in Gene Simmons of KISS and contrasted with them. Let's listen to the progressive hard rock featuring Gregg Guiffria's keyboard as well as the representative song "Tower". (Announced in 1975)"

● Paper Jacket + Inner Sleeve Reproducing the Miniature First Press LP of the United States
    ● Miniature Reproduction of Japan's First Press LP band design
    ● Remastered sound source in 2010

Angel was US East Cost Hard Rock band of 70's, initially Sweet Mama from Heaven, formed by Gregg Giuffria and Frank DiMino.
    I randomly tried their second 1976 Helluva Band and very quickly realized that I'm on a wrong page. So, I took one of my music guides The Great Metal Discography by M.C. Strong and learned that I should rather try their very first S/T album, which he rated 7* out of 10 (the rest - 5*). And it really was much better one:

[​IMG]

So, with these 6 missing titles Uni reissued 30 titles plus 2 Andwella titles were released for the first time with new 2016 remaster at ones.
    It tells me two things: Production line is very limited and Uni will concentrate now on Mini LP releases.

25. Dennison3

Dennison3 New Member

So, the December 2014 Apple Years remasters -- which were CD only-- were available individually and in the box set pictured here, quite beautiful and different from just about any other box set. CDs issued in Japan were SHM-CDs and those issued elsewhere were "regular" CDs. I believe the box sets shipping in Europe and Americas were all manufactured in Germany (they came with a "Made In Germany" label). The box sets included a DVD housed in a very nicely designed mini-hardcover book. There aren't many outlets selling The Apple Years box set currently, though georgeharrison.com is selling the CD version for $125 right now. George Harrison The Apple Years (6 CDs, 1 DVD) Box Set »

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a bit strange that cdjapan claims the bulk of the 2017 SHM-CDs are first-time as MiniLPs. The 2014 CDs and SHM-CDs were all in MiniLP jackets, regardless of whether they precisely matched the original vinyl LP designs. For the 2017 CD MiniLPs, I haven't been able to tell from photos whether the ATMP is in a box per the original vinyl 3LP set or is packaged as a trifold MiniLP as the 2014 ATMP CDs were. Of course, as a 2CD set, ATMP 2017 would come with one empty printed inner sleeve IF it comes boxed and is designed to replicate original vinyl 3LP packaging.

By the way, one of the best deals I've seen on GH's "The Vinyl Collection" is at Collectors' Choice music George Harrison The Vinyl Collection on Collectors' Choice Music », where the $387.59 USD price can be discounted by 20% via JAN1775 promo code (which I've heard expires end of January 2017). The individual GH LPs are -- except for ATMP and Live in Japan -- listed for $19.07 USD and the same promo code can be applied for 20% off. ATMP 2017 vinyl set is best deal I've seen anywhere. Actually everything on ccmusic.com appears to be eligible for same promotion.

ccmusic.com is also selling many of the 2017 GH SHM-CDs, though the funky search capability doesn't easily locate them (hint: these 3 March 2017 releases are tagged with Genre = "Default" and knowing that can help you locate them. Their pricing of the SHM-CDs are no better than cdjapan's even after the 20% promo (and not accounting for vagueries of s/h fees for each seller).

I'd speculate these GH Vinyl Collection SHM-CDs may not be released in "regular" CD versions for Europe/Americas (or may be released months later), as it will be only ~26 months since the December 2014 Apple Years releases when the new "Original Analog Masters/"cut at Capitol" SHM-CD versions release. That the 2017 CDs extend to GH's entire solo album catalog and beyond the Apple Years-only set may be one key factor favoring their eventual non-SHM release on CD outside Japan.

Finally, gotta love the GH special edition (limited to 500?) Shepard Fairey designed PRO-JECT turntable. The Shepard Fairey "Poster For George" design is also applied to the new extended edition of GH's I Me Mine hardcover. Mucho marketing in the new year for the quiet beatle.

[​IMG] [​IMG]