MFSL now doing 7 Bob Dylan titles in mono (hybrid SACD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

You could check discogs. I see some available for BIOBH and JWH, pretty near cost, maybe their shipping is better. I would probably double check with the seller first that it is the mono SACD.

Mike McMann likes this.
  2. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Times mono has arrived. I think it is very good although I am no audiophile expert. That leaves just Another Side, Freewheelin' and Highway 61 on mono sacd to come.

Lonson likes this.
  3. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Received my copy this week from Import CD's. (thanks to formu_la and bmoregnr for the help)
    As has been said here earlier, what a beautiful job MOFI did on this.
    I had originally purchased what I thought was the mono only to find out it was the stereo and a huge disappointment.
    The self titled is a great listen. Looking forward to the other titles.

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Have you had a chance to revisit this? Any further thoughts?

I plan to compare the MFSL SACD (redbook layer) and mono box masterings tomorrow.

5. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

No, I think that pretty much covers it. Not a big fan of the SACD BIABH.

But I can see why others might like it over the 2010 mono box version. It's sounds very Hi-Fi.

Still love the new S/T.

6. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

My mono JWH does not have a booklet either.

7. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I had a hard time picking a winner between these two discs. The Columbia CD sounds clean and flat, whereas the Mofi is punchier and during my comparison was the more engaging listen.

George P likes this.
  8. arne67

arne67 Forum Resident

Does anyone know whether MoFi used the original Mono mix for The Times They Are A-Changin' or the remix that was done for the Mono box?

9. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Unless the original mysteriously appeared after Sony couldn't find it, I would have to guess it was the same source, but who knows anymore.

I was quite disappointed to hear on this forum lately that Sundazed has been proven to have used original vinyl pressings as sources in some cases instead of master tapes. Wonder if it's true

10. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

-6 dB @ 1 kHz

Done

11. teag

teag Forum Resident

With Steve Berkowitz involved I doubt that. Not sure if I spelled his name correctly!

12. George P

George P Notable Member

I prefer the mono box mastering over the MFSL. SACD as well.

hvbias likes this.
  13. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

That's nice to hear, I don't want to rebuy those. I appreciate hearing positive feedback on the Mono Box when compared to the MOFI mono's.

I own some of the stereo MOFI Dylan's (the "trilogy") and "Blood on the Tracks". I wasn't too excited about rebuying them if there was no measurable difference pushing me to do so.

14. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Well, you do need the Mofi SACD of S/T.

George P likes this.
  15. arne67

arne67 Forum Resident

Yeah, I thought so as well. As much as I like their mastering jobs, I would like more openness about the sources they use. Then one wouldn't have to speculate. Was the Stereo MoFi SACD of The Times They Are A-Changin' the original mix?

16. arne67

arne67 Forum Resident

And I would recommend the John Wesley Harding MONO. I think it has more air and a better transparence compared to the Mono Box mastering. The Sony mastering sounds a little sterile, whereas the MoFi is more open and a very engaging listen. It has also a very nice bass sound! The only minor complaint are the few warts on "Dear Landlord", but I can easily get over that :)

Regarding the Bringing It All Back Home MONO, I think though it is not a vast improvement over the Mono Box mastering, it still is an improvement.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  17. Joey_Corleone

The stereo has the "Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab" banner instead of "Original Master Recording" so the common knowledge on that says it was not sourced from an original master tape, but from the best available source. I would guess that is the 2005 remix at this point but I don't know. If it is, I wonder if it was pressed from a digital source.

One thing I love about the Sony mono box is that they were VERY clear through various articles, interviews, etc about sources and VERY clear everything was meticulously done through an all analog chain. The MoFi's all sound great, but I am pretty sure we are all guessing really.

Think about it. The Sony team specifically stated that the mono times was GONE, MIA. Therefore, they made a new mono mix from the 3 track multitracks. Now 8 years later, MoFi advertises theie mono as "original master recording"???? Don't think so.

It would take very little effort to include a little blurb or card about specific sources with every release. After all, they know what they have. I can only speculate this information is specifically and intentionally not shared in order to keep us poor saps guessing and buying the same albums over and over. It's sad really. I used to think the specialty labels were a bit different, but they aren't. Same old same old.

Flaming Torch and agentalbert like this.
  18. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Don't think the stereo Times are a Changin' was ever remixed. The S/T has a narrow stereo remix in 2005.

19. Joey_Corleone

Sorry, that is correct. The 2005 stereo is a remaster not remix

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  20. Flaming Torch

I do not know but I hope not. Sundazed do seem to get some abuse out in the world. I have kept my Sundazed vinyl and their Self Portrait vinyl is spoken of as being very good and is of course the only new vinyl of that album. Sundazed were one of the first to start the vinyl reissue thing.
    I see Sony now have a new vinyl label called We Are Vinyl! Perhaps I could get a job thinking of label names I am sure I might come up with something more imaginative.
    Re Times my guess is that it is the 2010 remix (which again by Bob fans is highly regarded). I have included the link to Derek Barker and Isis (Dylan publication of many years standing) Dylan Remastered article. Thoroughly recommended as is Isis itself.

Bob Dylan Remastered - Bob Dylan ISIS Magazine

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  21. George P

George P Notable Member

Just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread! I am finding it quite useful, especially having all the MFSL mono Dylan discussion in one place. :wave:

Aoide, Joey_Corleone and agentalbert like this.
  22. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Decided to repost a post I made in another thread here so it pings more folks....

About to pull the trigger on the Mono MFSL 45 RPMs of BIABH, H61R, and JWH. It seems based on the threads on this subject that these are the best versions of these albums out there and since they're limited to 3,000 I'm afraid of missing out if I hesitate.

I just want to see if people can comment before I click "order" as to whether any other alternatives are equal/better (e.g. Sundazed? Stereo MFSL 45rpm?). If there are alternatives that compete with these MFSL Mono's it may not be necessary to pull the trigger just yet. I've been spending more than I should lately. However, I also figure these would be a good investment if nothing else (hence another reason I'm trying to figure out if these are going to end up being the definitive versions in people's eyes (ears?).

I've never been a really huge Dylan fan but I have a feeling that great sounding versions of these albums would be revelatory from the way people are describing them. I'm getting older (okay not that old, just 35, but I feel really old) and I can see myself sitting down after a long day and spinning these while drinking a good bourbon or whiskey.

23. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Wait until you're 65...

24. Flaming Torch

I am not an audiophile or expert on vinyl. I think it is fair to say though that from what I have read and also owning the 3 titles on mono MFSL that you mention that those 3 are very good. They do appear to be a limited release so it is possible like the old Led Zeppelin Classic Records vinyl reissues they will always be sought after. The original Sony mono vinyl box appears to be still available and the Music on Vinyl mono versions of those albums are also well thought of. The sleeves and packaging of the Sony box is outstanding.
    H61 being a largely electric album probably benefits most from the use of 45 RPM vinyl. As for the albums themselves (and I would have these as mp3s rather than not have them at all) H61 and JWH are in my top 10 albums of all time list. BIABH is in my top 20.

25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

Gentlemen, I started this thread specifically to be about the mono SACD'. There's an other thread for the 45 RPM vinyl. Please post about vinyl there and let's keep this one for just the SACD's. There are separate threads for a reason.

Blue Cactus and George P like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.