Midnight Oil - the album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 20, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

yes, many.
    If i'm able i am going to put the whole Oils on Water up here after the Red Sails album

Kassonica likes this.
  2. HandsomeMike

HandsomeMike Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, long time lurker (love this place, btw), joined to reply to this.

I moved from a small country town to Sydney for Uni in 1983 and this (Oils 10-1 at the Entertainment Centre) was the first “big” concert I went to. I knew all their albums, but this was (and still is) my favourite. Seeing it in a crowd roughly two times the population of my home town blew me away. Unbelievable energy. As for them being the first Australian band to headline there, I don’t know, but the place was packed. I remember it being earlier in 1983, but it was a while ago. And I’d also been introduced to Aussie Shiraz around the same time...

3. mark winstanley

good show to be at!
    if i could have been at that show and Chisel's last stand at the sydney ent cent, that would have been awesome. I made do with Chisel's last stand at the Perth ent cent. it held 8000 and that was still very cool :)

4. mark winstanley

i am not sure. i had a quick look and couldn't find the details. I know Chisel sold it out four times later in the year for the Last Stand tour ... the thing that blew my mind while looking was Dire Straits played 21 consecutive shows there to finish their Brothers in arms tour .....

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

best of the first three, but nothing beats 10-1 for me

Gavinyl likes this.
  6. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

The only Midnight Oil albums I had were "Diesel and Dust" and "Blue sky mining". They were released and bought by me when I was about 16-18 when i started recording from the radio and buy the albums with the stuff I liked. I now have over 6000 albums but somehow never got past those two Midnight Oil albums. Maybe it were the vocals.
    I wanted to check the older stuff out for ages and this thread was the best opportunity.
    Yesterday I already bought 10,9,8..... and Red sails in the sunsets.
    Great music.
    The rest will follow shortly.

Thanks for this thread

7. mark winstanley

Glad you are enjoying it!

8. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

I adore 10-1...

Favourite tracks are Read About It, Short Memory, and especially US Forces which I think is a masterpiece of social commentary coupled with that wonderful Australian guitar strum...

Great stuff.

Gavinyl and mark winstanley like this.
  9. mark winstanley

Easy album and song guide

Midnight Oil - 1978 Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 1 Powderworks Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 2 Head over heals Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 3 Dust Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 4 Used and Abused Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 5 Surfing with a spoon Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 6 Run by night Midnight Oil - the album thread
    Run by night live 1981 - Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 7 Nothing lost ... nothing gained Midnight Oil - the album thread

Head Injuries - 1979 Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 1 Cold cold change Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 2 Section 5 (bus to Bondi) Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 3 Naked flame Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 4 Back on the borderline Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 5 Koala sprint Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 6 No reaction Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 7 Stand in line Midnight Oil - the album thread
    Stand in line live 1981 - Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 8 Profiteers Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 9 Is it now? Midnight Oil - the album thread

Bird Noises EP 1980 Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 1 No time for games Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 2 Knife's edge Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 3 Wedding cake island Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 4 I'm the cure Midnight Oil - the album thread

Live at the Melbourne Show Grounds 1980 - Midnight Oil - the album thread

Place Without A Postcard 1981 Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 1 Don't wanna be the one Midnight Oil - the album thread
    don't wanna be the one live - Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 2 Brave faces Midnight Oil - the album thread
    Brave faces live in 1982 - Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 3 Armistice day Midnight Oil - the album thread
    Armistice day live 1982 - Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 4 Someone else to blame Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 5 Basement Flat Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 6 Written in the heart Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 7 Burnie Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 8 Quinella holiday Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 9 Love's on sale Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 10 If Ned Kelly was King Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 11 Lucky country Midnight Oil - the album thread

10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 - 1982 - Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 1 Outside world Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 2 Only the Strong Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 3 Short Memory Midnight Oil - the album thread
    track 4 Read About It Midnight Oil - the album thread

10. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

It was when I saw them tour 10-1 in 1983. In fact before the band came on they played Robert Duval's segment on the beach of Apocalypse Now. I didn't remember until I saw them that it ends with Duval saying almost wistfully "one day there will be no more wars"....and then the Oils walked out and the synthesizer throb of Outside World started.
    After that had finished the riff for Only The Strong started up and thereafter it was total bedlam.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  11. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Oh this is fantastic! Thanks so much for posting a reply. Those concerts and that album were truly epic.
    I just did some research on the Sydney Entertainment Centre. It was officially opened in May of 1983, so I think that I am correct in saying that the Oils were the first Australian band to headline. Mark, Cold Chisel headlined it in December of that year and if my poor memory serves me correctly did more than Midnight Oil's 3 night stand.

mark winstanley likes this.
  12. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

There you go Mark. Your good work will not go unrewarded.

13. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

That's right. Dire Straits were at the Ent Cent for EVER. Just goes to show that there's no accounting for some folks' taste, or lack there of. ;-)

14. mark winstanley

well i actually like the straits as well. i wasn't a huge fan of brothers in arms but love over gold and alchemy got me to the show .... they didn't play telegraph road though arrrgggghhh
    even so, it disappoints me that they sold quarter of a million tickets to the oils 36 000 and chisels 48 000 .... nearly everybody in sydney must have gone to see them !!!!!!!!!!!

15. mark winstanley

i hope that someone had the presence of mind to record those shows and they are just holding out to release a dvd/bluray of it!

16. findog3103

findog3103 Forum Resident

Love midnight oil. Seen them 4 times here in the states. Though I love their 80s output, I also enjoy redneck wonderland.

Gavinyl and mark winstanley like this.
  17. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

I don't mind Dire Straits but they are not a band that I would think would be particularly interesting live. I could be wrong as I so frequently am. Yes, it was a bit of travesty that Dire Straits played to the entirety of Sydney while Cold Chisel and the Oils played to much smaller audiences because Cold Chisel and Midnight Oil were both dynamite live. Thems the breaks, I guess.

findog3103 likes this.
  18. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Outside World, Only The Stong, Short Memory and Read About It. A phenomenally strong start to an album.

19. mark winstanley

straits were a good live band, but they weren't hard rock. in their chosen fields they were all excellent live bands.

JulesRules and OptimisticGoat like this.
  20. mark winstanley

Scream in Blue
    Scream in blue starts with an effected guitar punching out pain and slides into a melodic break. This then returns to the guitar and moves into a different melodic break, that then slides into some acoustic guitar and another melodic break that crescendos into virtual white sound and then disappears into a piano and the vocal section of the song.
    This is actually quite a remarkable piece and although predominantly instrumental is certainly anything but boring. This track is dynamic, melodic and really closed out the first side of the old vinyl so effectively that a moment to suck it all in was needed on first listen.

Lyrics
    Come to me now, be careful of what you say
    Don't make a sound, there's noise enough in this
    Come with me now, let night move into day
    Let sheets keep secrets that no one else could know
    I could kill for this one time and not be caught
    She said to me this is the one and I know
    Come to me now, this is the final hour
    When I'm dreaming I dream in blue
    When I'm dreaming I dream of you
    When I'm screaming I scream in blue

JulesRules and black sheriff like this.
  21. mark winstanley

U.S. Forces
    All Australian bands wanted to sell albums in the U.S. Frankly the market is so big that a breakthrough is a career maker. Aussie bands make it by in Australia if they are big enough, but they aren't going to buy a farm from it. To play music in Australia means you love music, not that you expect to become rich and famous. It's actually easier to become famous without the riches to protect yourself..... anyway.
    One beautiful thing about most Aussie bands is the "we don't give a **ck" attitude that they display in the songs they choose to record (at least in the late seventies and early eighties) This song was a huge gamble in some ways for the Oils, although this was an amazing album, the chances that the U.S. market would be offended by this song was enormous, but they went ahead anyhow. This is a great song and always received a lot of airplay in Australia.
    I'm not actually sure if there were any singles from this album or not, but this song and power and the passion were the songs that radio grabbed onto and played.

Lyrics
    US Forces give the nod, it's a setback for your country
    Bombs and trenches all in rows, bombs and threats still ask for more
    Divided world the CIA, who controls the issue
    You leave us with no time to talk, you can write your assessment

Sing me songs of no denying, seems to me too many trying
    Waiting for the next big thing

Will you know it when you see it, high risk children dogs of war
    Now market movements call the shots, business deals in parking lots
    Waiting for the meat of tomorrow

Sing me songs

Everyone is too stoned to start emission
    People too scared to go to prison
    We're unable to make decision
    Political party line don't cross that floor
    L. Ron Hubbard can't save your life
    Superboy takes a plutonium wife
    In the shadow of Ban The Bomb we live

Sing me songs

22. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

"Read About It" had a video that played on MTV, does that count as a "single"?

23. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Pretty sure "U.S. Forces" was a single, but I may be wrong.

24. mark winstanley

idk ... the early eighties were confusing for singles, videos and what was what ...
    hello fellow arkansan btw lol

25. mark winstanley

yea, i finally looked in the right place
    u.s. forces
    power and the passion
    read about it
    in that order

sorry, brain fart