My next upgrades on the vinyl front...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IRG, Jul 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IRG

IRG Forum Resident Thread Starter

About a year ago, maybe a little less, I decided to take the plunge back into vinyl, having grown up with it as a teen (but never having good gear). I've been spending what little disposable funds I have on guitar gear for the last 12-15 years, but that itch has mostly been scratched, so I've began slowly been building up a budget system for 2 channel listening.

I'm probably another year away (maybe less, who knows) with wanting to upgrade my source to something a little higher end, but not go too overboard, as this won't hopefully be my last upgrade. So here's what I have when it comes to the source:

U-Turn Orbit TT w/acrylic platter
    Ortofon 2M Blue Cart
    Cambridge Audio Solo MM preamp
    Pangea cables

Of this combo above, which should be upgraded first, or all at once? Budget wise, I'm not sure yet. If I'm lucky I would say $1500 - $2k for the TT, $400 - 800 for the cartridge and maybe $500 - $750 for the preamp.

Currently:
    Amp - Musical Fidelity 2MSi (73 wpc 8ohm, 137wpc 4 ohm)
    Speakers - Dynaudio Excite14 on stands
    Blue Jean speaker cables (and Monster Silver cables, can't notice a difference)
    Parts Express 15" Sub - mostly for the 80 hz and under freq

Speakers and amp will be last things I upgrade most likely.
    Listening room is small for now, think bedroom size. I've been working on layout and acoustics, and will continue to do so.

I also use a Yamaha DVD/SACD player w/Musical Fidelity DAC for CD's, and for now it will suffice. Mostly listening to analog now anyway.

I prefer new. My speakers were used, but with an amp/TT, I prefer new to avoid issues, but you never know.

Brands I've been looking at for TT: Rega PL6 (probably a Rega cart then), Project 6 Perspex or Xtension 9 (which is stretching it probably), Music Hall MMF 7.3 with 2M Bronze, Marantz TT15S1, and a darkhorse could be the Pioneer PLX1000 if I wanted a direct drive for a reasonable price.

If I stick with a MM cart, then perhaps my phono preamp can stay as is, I don't have anything to compare it to, and spec wise it seems on par with more expensive stuff, but I could be wrong. For under $200, it works well, but if there is something at the price points I mentioned that could be a significant upgrade, I'm all ears. And if I decide to go MC, then I would have to get something else.

Carts, so many to choose from, it will take me a year to do all of my research. I keep reading positive reviews, a lot of them, on the Ortofon 2M Bronze, so that's a leading contender right now. But that could change for sure.

SO that's where I'm at right now, sort of talking out loud to myself, as I contend my next move. I guess I haven't answered why. I'm not sure exactly. The system sounds good as is. Sometimes really good. Maybe I want more than good. I think, given budget and space restraints I'm not expecting world class, that would be silly. I tend to gravitate towards components that punch above their price point I guess.

Music is varied, but tends to be rock (classic and all other forms), more into jazz lately and will continue this quest, some classical. Not much in the way of female vocals (not sure why), no rap/hip hop, and my metal days while not over, tends to come through my iPhone when I'm working out.

So what upgrades would you do, what order, maybe some specific brands/models too. Not in any hurry, just something to start thinking about. Cheers

2. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

For a turntable, you could look into the Technics SL-1200GR/1210GR model or even a lower-priced SL-1200Mk7.

For cartridges, are you looking for a particular sound signature? Personally, I'd get the Nagaoka MP-150 cartridge if you can stretch it to $300 USD.

3. IRG

Thanks. I forgot to mention that the Nagaoka cartridges were also on my list to look at recently, either the MP-150 or the MP-200. If I keep my Uturn longer, the 150 might be a good match, I wonder if the 200 on up would be overkill for this TT, probably so.

Where are the new Technics turntables being sold at these days? I don't see my usual online dealers selling them, but maybe I've not kept up with dealers who do, although I thought I had searched it up recently. I think the Turntable Lab is getting some of the new ones, but haven't check if they have yet. I would consider it. THey have a new model I think, that doesn't have the DJ features on it, correct? Thanks for your reply, appreciate it.

4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Move your Blue onto a Planar 6 and you'll have a very nice front end. I'd get the Bronze when you can but the table really begs for a change there. Amp and speakers are excellent, so just work on the table IMO.
    -Bill

5. Danilo

Danilo Forum Resident

I suggest you one of the Pro-Ject you mentioned with the 9cc evo tonearm, which is very precise, and a Grado prestige cartridge, you will get a very natural and "agreeable" sound, I love Grado sound and I even find them precise and accurate. In alternative the Marantz tt15 is an eye for a bargain and you can change the stylus with the audio-technica at95 at a ridiculous price and still have a 700 euro mm cartridge like the Clearaudio Virtuoso

IRG likes this.
  6. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

I second the opinion of your speakers and amp are keepers. ( until you just can't hold back upgradeitus any more) I would focus on TT and cart for now. Maybe up your budget for those.

7. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

So many good TT choices in your price range... Rega Planar 6, MoFi Ultradeck, Technics SL-1210GR, Clearaudio Concept, GEM Dandy Polytable, Marantz TT15si, Audio Note TT1, and, if you stretch or go demo/open box, VPI Prime Scout.

Lots to explore. :)

For reasonably-priced MM carts, I'll echo Nosliw above and say it's very hard to go wrong with the Nagaoka MP150 or MP200.

With the Rega Planar 6, they offer a package deal with the very well-liked Rega Exact 2 cart, $1995 for the pair. So that's an option as well.

For phono stages under $900 or so, lots of good choices there too (Musical Fidelity, Moon, Parasound, Sutherland)... do a search and you'll probably find several threads dedicated to just that.

Happy hunting. :thumbsup:

8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

The SL-1210GR and SL-1200 mk7 are available through Guitar Center and Musician’s Friend (and other places) online. The one without DJ features you are asking about is the SL-1500C, which I believe is technically available only through local dealers, though some “local” dealers have online stores.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  9. IRG

Yes, the TT/Cart/PhonoPre are really the only things I'm going to upgrade in the near term.

10. IRG

Funny, I just saw an ad in Stereophile for the SL1500c. Looks nice, simple design. Didn't know that GC and MF sold Technics. I have an account with Sweetwater, and they have the Pioneer model, but I don't think they carry Technics. I'll have to give this some thought, but likely leaning towards a belt drive still.

11. IRG

Yes indeed. Your list above is very similar to what I've been looking at. The GEM is unfamiliar to me, I'll have to look it up and see. As far as Parasound phone preamps go, I know they make some very good ones, with price tags to match but how is the new(er) Zphono XRM MM/MC? Looks like a good option for both MM and/or MC carts, that would be at a similar price point.

12. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I would suggest the Music Hall mmf 7.3 turntable with Ortofon 2M Bronze. Miles above the U-Turn at around $1500.

That will bring your budget for the pre-amp to around $1500? How about the Decware ZP3 for about $1300?

13. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

I'll second the Rega PL6. $1600 with no cart. I was going to recommend a Soundsmith cartridge but the cheapest they have is $1000. :yikes: I agree with KT88. Get PL6 and try your Blue. You could get a Rega Exact with the PL6 for 2k but I don't know if that would be as good as the Bronze.

14. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

I would buy a ph16 phono pre and go from there. The cartridge comes last.

ProfessorC1983 likes this.
  15. IRG

I've been eyeing that Music Hall deal, hard to beat. I wasn't familiar with the Decware, probably more $ than I would like to spend, but it's a helluva nice looking piece of gear. Something to add to my wish list if nothing else.

16. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Some possibly helpful threads for ya...

New Parasound Zphono.XRM

[Poll] Best Turntables for Under $1600 (w/arm)? (pick 3)

IRG likes this.
  17. IRG

That's another phono preamp I wasn't familar with, looks interesting.

18. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

And it's excellent, especially at its price point. This is an area where I have spent way too much. Should have just gone to the moon.

19. ProfessorC1983

ProfessorC1983 Forum Resident

Another +1 for the PH16. It was fun to build and sounds sublime, especially with NOS Amperex tubes for the gain stage.

I also recently upgraded from a U-Turn Orbit + 2M Blue setup. Along with the PH16, I ended up going with a well-used Technics SL-1200 Mk2 which I rewired with the KAB kit and installed the KAB fluid damper as well. Cartridge is a modded Denon 103R with aluminum body and microridge stylus. I'm a bit biased but it's hard for me to imagine a better vinyl setup for around $1500 all-in, though it did require a fair amount of tinkering time to get everything right.

nosliw likes this.
  20. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

^^^^^well done

21. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Here's where I make my usual pitch to ping Dave at Vinyl Nirvana and talk with him about a resto-modded Thorens. Dave does a lovely job restoring these beautiful old turntables, adding dampening and other subtle mods, and upgrading them with modern arms and carts. He works with a cabinetmaker to build beautiful hardwood plinths.

I bought a TD-160 Super Reproduction with an Ortofon 2M Bronze in 2015. I loved it. I've since added a Music Hall speed controller and a Dynavector cart and love it even more. Will be awhile before I consider an upgrade.

Dave is a real pro, with tables to suit any budget. He's often got a few in stock at various prices, and can build anything you might like based on a conversation.

For what it's worth, I've got it paired with a Graham Slee Reflex M. Heavenly.

You have nothing to lose by giving him a ring. I am in no way compensated for my endorsement; I simply believe he does great work and I am always happy to sing his praises.

patient_ot, nosliw and IRG like this.
  22. IRG

I'll keep this suggestion in mind, thanks. Looks like an interesting site he has, and a very cool collection. I wouldn't bother him until I'm ready to commit, and I'm a ways off on that right now. I'm in the homework stage. And then I'll be in the let's collect the necessary funds stage.

23. IRG

Questions on tonearms. I like the technology of the carbon tonearms. Between the Project 9cc and the Rega RB330 and say the Music Hall arm on the 7.3 (doesn't designate what model number it is, is it made by someone else?) is there one that is superior to the others, or are they all pretty much "equal".

If my Uturn had a better tonearm, I would likely keep it longer. And mine has the v2 arm. To me that is their weak link. I will say their customer service is terrific though, and the Uturn Facebook group is awesome, some of the conversations are about gear, but most of it is about music, sort of the whole point of this endeavor, isn't it?

24. Chester0711

Chester0711 Forum Resident

I have the 9cc Evo and I love it. some of the setup can be a bit tedious, but isn't it all!

25. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I offer both the Planar 6 / Exact and the MH 7.3 / 2m Bronze packages. Both are excellent sounding. The Rega is a bit more dynamic and the MH a touch warmer. Both are slightly on the warm side of neutral, but the Rega is a bit closer and I like the form and function of it better also. Either are miles ahead of the U-turn in sound and build quality.
    -Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.