Super Furry Animals

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vince, Dec 24, 2011.

1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I listened to Fuzzy Logic again today. It's good but not amazing. Some tracks sound great, others quite mediocre. I thought the new version of Something for the weekend sounded weaker and may have something to do with it being redone? I'm unsure if it was remixed or completely re-recorded? I prefer this version but just thought it was the worst sounding track on the album. Long Gone was the best. I do feel the Fuzzy Logic reissue benefits from being cranked a bit, it does have pretty good dynamics.

Did you feel the sound of the Radiator vinyl reissue was better or about the same?

2. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

There are two versions of "Something 4 the Weekend": The original album version and the single version. I believe the band prefer the single version, so that's the one that appears on the reissue of Fuzzy Logic.

realkilroy likes this.
  3. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

According to the liners notes of the recent reissue, the single version of 'Something for the Weekend' / 'Something 4 the Weekend' has been substituted since the second pressing of the album. I had no idea, as I'd only ever had the original CD.

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

And? There's a review at Discogs claiming this new "Radiator" vinyl pressing was better than the Creation 1997 original.

5. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Just on my 1st play through (again what's with the lack of download code!!!). I only have the original in cd so I can't compare it to that but some parts seem quite harsh on the top end but it is generally quite spacious and nice deep bass. Nice quality pressing too, no noise or any imperfections so far. I'd forgotten just how good this album was.

Rekkerds likes this.
  6. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

It's shipping from the UK to Chicago. I probably won't have it until next Monday.

7. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I haven't played them back to back, but without directly comparing, I'd say there's a commonality.

Neonbeam likes this.
  8. joey essex

joey essex Forum Resident

Anyone listen to the Radiator remaster yet? thoughts?

9. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Super Furry Animals

realkilroy and sparkmeister like this.
  10. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

That's how it sounds on my system too. Strange sort of harshness in the vocals especially. Haven't played the original cd in a while, so don't know if it's in the mix. Probably is. It's not a very hifi recording.
    But having said that, the album is indeed brilliant and this pressing is superb.

Purplefowler likes this.
  11. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

I haven't received the vinyl version yet, but had a chance to compare the CD edition with the XL Recordings CD. To my ears they sound very similar. I've never heard the original vinyl or CD, but both XL and new CD are very compressed, which is sad. Hermann Loves Pauline is almost pain to listen. Maybe that's how SFA wanted it to sound in the first place, I don't know.
    Looking forward to listen to the vinyl.
    Btw, I wouldn't bother about the download code, CD edition is quite cheap on amazon.

12. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Have you received it yet?

13. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

Yes. I had no time to listen to the whole thing, but I've listened to "She's Got Spies". It is _a_ disaster.
    What's the point of compressing it so bad if you have two plates of vinyl?
    As I said before, maybe that was an artistic decision.

14. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Apparently it's a lot better than the original...although I think the original was pretty bad sounding...

15. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Yes, I also swapped Play It Cool [US Mix] for the UK mix, for authenticity [I'm in the UK]

16. NightGoatToCairo

Wondering which tracks have not been included on these two reissues that were part of the first two EPs? I don't have Moon Droog or In Space to compare possible different mixes or re-recordings.

17. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

From memory, the versions on those EPs are the ones that ended up on Outspaced, other than 'God! Show Me Magic' which is a demo-esque version and not that great.
    There're two songs on the In Space EP that aren't on Outspaced, 'Chrys Ti' and 'Organ Yn Dy Geg' but haven't checked if they're on the reissues. If not, I think that's yer lot.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  18. Summer of Malcontent

I don't think any specific recordings from the first two EPs appear on the Fuzzy Logic reissue.

PamV?, Focus Pocus and Debiel from Moog Droog and Fix Idris and Blerwytirhwng? from the second EP appeared on Outspaced, and Sali Mali from Moog Droog appeared on the bonus disc included with Mwng.

So this leaves the original version of 'God! Show Me Magic', 'Organ Yn Dy Geg' and 'Crys Ti' uncollected. One (or two?) of the tracks on the original EPs ended with a locked groove, so that's another difference that obviously isn't present on those later CD compilations.

There's also the promo version of 'Frisbee' from the same period that I don't think has ever appeared on CD.

19. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

No, none of the Ankst recordings appear on either of the reissues. There will be a separate collection with those and other things.

The demo of Frisbee is on disc 2 of the Fuzzy Logic reissue.

20. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

It's in the mix. The vocal sibilance is a bummer, but it was either that or scoop out a bunch of high end. For my money, the high res digital is the way to go. The vinyl is great and all, but there are compromises there (vocal sibilanc being one.)

21. Summer of Malcontent

Aha, so is the SFAP1 12" version, the demo that was released on Volume Sixteen and the demo released on the recent reissue all the same recording? I've never lined them all up together to check.

22. NightGoatToCairo

Hope so. What's been said about this?

23. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

Yep, they're all the same.

24. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

Nothing publicly yet, but I know some of the people working on the reissues. There's no date confirmed (or even being bandied about) just yet, but I know this is being worked on. Some tapes are still being tracked down.

25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just have played it.... I have forgotten how weird parts of "Radiator" are, sometimes this reminds me so much of Butthole Surfers, it's criminal. In a good way of course :righton:

What's also weird is that 1997 is now 20 years behind us and how many truly remarkable albums came out that year.

Any. Way. This new pressing - though I suspect the matrix suggests GZ - is really good. Since I don't have any other "Radiator" I'm not going to comment on the mastering but John Dent's "Jonz" signature in the deadwax is usually a good sign.

This reissue campaign will continue, won't it? At least "Guerrilla"?

Rekkerds, Crispy Rob and richbdd01 like this.