Whitish discoloration on records stored in MoFi Original Master Sleeves

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oregonalex, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have been using MoFi Original Master Sleeves for most of my records. I like the soft feel of the plastic liner. What I don't like at all is that all records stored in them acquire whitish discoloration. It looks like fine talc residue but I don't know what it actually is. It appears as irregular "maps" on the record surface, stronger in places where the poly liner rubbed more strongly against the record.

I have bought several packs of these sleeves over time from several sources and all exhibit the same problem. The discoloration appears on all records stored in them, vintage or new, washed or not. The discoloration easily washes away in distilled water, but will re-appear when the record is inserted into the sleeve again.

I noticed this a while ago and dismissed it as benign and as a price to pay for having the fine liner material. I have, however, also noticed that the recent Doors reissues came in sleeves from QRP with similar design and thickness of the poly liner as the MoFi and the records are absolutely clean and have no discoloration at all.

So, my questions are:

1. Do you get the same discoloration from the Mofi sleeves?

2. Do you know what it is?

3. Is it really benign?

4. Are there any other similar sleeves available that do not have this problem? The QRP ones look perfect, but I don't think they are available separately. I have tried the Diskeeper Audiophile sleeve and it has a bit thicker poly and seems to scuff records more easily.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

The QRP sleeves are available on bulk from Acoustic Sounds.

3. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

4. bayen

bayen Forum Resident

WOW!! I can't believe that another member is experiencing the same problem that I've encountered...I ain't goin' crazy! Sorry to hear your MFSL sleeves are also problematic..weird to think that we both noticed the marks and posted about it at the same time. I ordered a different brand inner sleeve from another vendor..they should arrive tomorrow. I've been using the MFSL inner sleeve for years and have never had a problem but all the LP's I've purchased in the last 10 months have been affected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.