50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Oh yes, same here, ordered from HMV.

tinnox likes this.
  2. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

It’s not Ah Oop?

tinnox likes this.
  3. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Is it true George Martin can pound on the skins himself, it could very well be him!

ODIrony, tinnox, RAJ717 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

For some reason I remember a Wonder Years episode in which one of the boys had the White Album pics up on their bedroom wall. Was the posters there all the time throughout the run of the show?

5. ChrisH

ChrisH Forum Resident

No it's a Northern England expression that covers all sorts of things. I always thought it was an expression of surprise leading into the next song. Like 'what have we here then?' kind of thing. I guess a lot of us are so familiar with this saying that it's difficult to describe something that is so obvious (to us). Do you know what I mean?

IronWaffle, nikh33, tinnox and 2 others like this.
  6. edmund_k

edmund_k occasionally worth reading

Don't really want to veer off topic too much but here something, admittedly spelt differently than I did
    Do people really say 'ay up me duck?'
    Dolly Parton somehow makes it sound a bit offensive...
    I’ve heard ‘ducks’ or ‘ducky’ used as a term of endearment before, usually between older, long married couples. Otherwise calling someone ducky is to suggest that they might be a little effeminate; unless you know them well and they know you mean it in jest, expect to be punched.

I hear 'Ay up me duck' on a regular basis in Leicester.
    The historic meaning is 'how is is it going my lord'.

Paul H, Mr. Explorer, nikh33 and 2 others like this.
  7. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

True, and it works wonderfully, it collected released singles from '67 to fill out an entire LP, but not songs that were unreleased and in the can earmarked for another project. And "Hey Bulldog" didn't even exist when the MMT film was made or the U.S. version of the MMT album was compiled. Maybe it is semantics, but it's a big difference—in my mind anyway.

Mr. Explorer and tinnox like this.
  8. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I think Paul is a stiff drummer. Particularly his hihat playing has no real swimg to it.

According to Brennan some songs had new mixes for the Red album. Which they didn’t. Brennan only had his ears to rely on, and no studio documentation. Studio documentation says it is a dedicated mono mix.

Mr. Explorer, sekaer, tinnox and 3 others like this.
  9. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I also read an anecdote that Apple was gonna hold some sort of a lottery using the stamped numbers as ticket numbers. Is that true?

tinnox likes this.
  10. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

On my 1 Blu-ray, the FAAB and Real Love MV’s look like they were taken from a VHS

11. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Oh dear, that was the sodding autocorrect :(

Mr. Explorer and tinnox like this.
  12. BlueSpeedway

It doesn't matter anyway. What REALLY matters is if While My Guitar Gently Weeps is more influential than Kraftwerk.

;-)

13. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

At least it wasn’t corrected to Deadpool or Blackpink

14. BlueSpeedway

Or "Black Sabbath Lancashire"..

15. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Speaking personally, the studio stuff from this era never excited me that much, and I found most of what was on Anthology 3 to be a total bore. And I typically love this behind-the-scenes type stuff. I seek out the boots. I listened to anthology 2 a lot, even anthology 1. But I don’t believe I’ve ever made it through 3 in one sitting.

On the other hand, the Esher tapes have always been of particular interest to me. A tough listen due to the poor fidelity of the bootlegs, but that should be remedied now. I can NOT wait to hear this new official release.

It’s hard to say if the new outtakes will be more of an essential listen than the Esher tapes since we don’t know much of what’s actually on the other discs.

Of course if you can, get everything! I would personally go with the SDE over the LP sets. More material. Either way, this stuff will be made available for download and streaming. So you should be able to access much of it in some form.

If you’re not even familiar with what the Esher tapes are like, I’d say it’s a fairly big commitment to want to buy them on an LP that you’ll presumably be listening to regularly - or not.

16. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Down south, particularly when I was younger, I'd hear 'Alright cock!' or 'Alright my old cocker!'.

And of course you have 'Chuck' as used by Cilla Black and I'm sure many more people from the area. 'Tarra chuck!'

Mr. Explorer, ODIrony and tinnox like this.
  17. tages

tages Senior Member

I’m a drummer and it’s always been obvious to me that the drums on “Dear Prudence” are played by the same guy who played on “My Dark Hour”. Paul and Ringo are very different drummers. Ringo’s fills would have been more precise, less quirky and they would sound like Ringo.

I can’t believe this is even a question.

18. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I am not a musician..not my area of expertise.

tinnox and supermd like this.
  19. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Despite what John sang, spoke or sloganeered about, he was a capitalist. He would have no problem charging those prices. Yoko didn’t exactly give the cow away in the late 70’s for $250,000.

20. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

21. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I’m the opposite. Never found the Esher stuff fascinating. I find the double tracking Paul did on USSR to be real annoying.

MrRom92, sekaer and tinnox like this.
  22. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Does anyone agree with me or disagree, or care to expand on the following observation ?

By my count 16 of the 30 white album tracks, feature all 4 Beatles on the recording.

A couple further observations, of the 16 that do have all 4 Beatles, 3-4 have only a minimal presence of the 4th Beatle. Just backround vocals, or just handclaps etc.

This makes me want good versions of Hey Jude, Revolution #1, Hey Bulldog, Not Guilty, Lady Madonna even more. To increase the overall # featuring all 4.

Although, there are also extra tracks featuring less than all 4. Junk, Step Inside Love, New Mary Jane etc.

Which also reminds me, they still left a few off altogether, bottom of the barrel, though they might be. Ie:- Micklemoose Happy Christmas, Here Today-Gone Tomorrow-Brian Epstein Blues. I'm sure a few more.

QUESTION--looking through "new" previously unknown outtakes-bonus tracks listed on the track list... I note 2 covers " You're So Square" & Blue Moon ( of Kentucky ??) & St Louis Blues ( previously booted ? )

But question is, WHAT Is the tracks 4&5 disc 6 Step Inside Love-Los Paranoios studio jams ? Is that what we heard on Anthology 3 ? Or is it different how so ? Full band renditions ? Or just Paul or Paul & Ringo ( or John ) noodling on bongo or guitar ?

Note- I'm glad the E(eee)sher demos are given their own disc & separated from the band-studio takes.

Also note- my count of 16 out of 30 featuring all 4 Beatles, moves to 17, if as expected the Beatles 4 part harmony version of Goodnight, is equal or superior to the original released version. At least on my personal copy:cool:

FYI, just an aside, no one to my knowledge, has sequenced this in the following way.

1-16 band tracks of all 4

2-14 tracks of 1-3 Beatles

3-Esher demos

4- band Outtakes/songs-Lady Madonna-Hey Jude-Across Universe-Not Guilty-interspersed among the 16 band songs.

5-remaining outtakes/alternates

I'm not even saying that's a great idea 16 band songs-14 partial band for discs 1 & 2.

What I'd most like to know is info on the 2 covers, & tracks 4-5 jams on disc 6 + plus anything "new" they listed that I missed.

Thanks to all :edthumbs:

23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

From what I've heard, Giles has used a few aspects of the mono mix on this. The guitar cluck at the start of USSR is loud as in the mono mix...well as his final, "I'm back in the USSR" at the very end of the song. I've heard a snippet of Helter Skelter; while he keeps the "blisters" ending, he also brings up the backup vocals like they are on the mono. So like his work on Pepper, he's obviously incorporated aspects of both the original stereo and mono mixes to create this new one. I really hope he brightened up Bungalow Bill, though; sounds pretty muffly on both stereo and mono mixes.

24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Wow...how cool is this...?? I said the exact same thing on Amazon a couple of years ago. I hadn't been 100% sure about the final section of DP with that very cool barelling drum pattern...but once I re-investigated My Dark Hour (for this very purpose), it seemed more than obvious that it's all Paul on DP. I also totally agree on your take on Ringo's precision vs. Paul's. While the overall mix hides lots of flaws, I always thought the drumming on USSR was a mess. What paul accomplished that he thought Ringo couldn't, is beyond me. I can't help but wonder if outakes with Ringo (pre-"quitting")do exist but Paul requested they weren't used.

tinnox and tages like this.
  25. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I, on the other hand, am sure that if a good outtake with Ringo had excisted, Paul would have been happy for it to be released.

Mr. Explorer, supermd, Gila and 8 others like this.