Alfred Hitchcock Presents (and The Alfred Hitchcock Hour) - NO SPOILERS, please!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PageLesPaul, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

"Poison"
    s4 e1
    Directed by Alfred Hitchcock
    Written by Casey Robinson, from the short story by Roald Dahl

Malaya: Harry Pope is lying in bed and discovers that there is a poisonous snake asleep on his stomach -- and his "friend" Timber Woods doesn't seem too insistent on helping the situation.

Dahl's original story was a very short exercise in subtle tension, with a brief anti-racism message near the end. Hitchcock has thrown the racism out completely and much more significantly, he has totally switched the characters around. Whereas in the story the villain finds the snake on his belly, here the heavy is the observer. It's the sympathetic weakling who is in jeopardy.

IMHO this is actually an improvement on the Dahl story. I think making the heavy the onlooker multiplies the tension exponentially (whatever that means). The audience slowly realizes he's going to take his sweet time helping. Even more, he seems to be sadistically enjoying the game of cat and mouse. For me, that's much more effective than the one quick irony of the racist showing his colors at the end. Heavy-as-onlooker involves him in the drama as an emotional participant; innocent onlooker is simply that, an onlooker.

Episode writer Casey Robinson worked on the Casablanca script (mostly the Paris section).

Star Wendell Corey is very unflatteringly made-up and photographed. Not quite as bad as his Perry Mason episode (where he looked like a corpse who had just risen from the grave) but bad enough. Was this Hitchcock's intention?

Great performance by Donald (a virtuoso exercise in emotional expression with only his face and right hand to work with), good ones by Corey and Arnold Moss as a native doctor (Abraham Sofaer must have been busy), solid scripting of a classic suspense situation, superbly shot and lighted (though Corey might argue about his makeup). A high point for the series.

"Don't come any closer!"

[​IMG]

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Agreed!

I am reticent to don my all-powerful (tee-hee) Gort hat and leave a heavy imprint on a thread, but I've done the following:
    •Changed the title of the thread.
    •Merged with another, virtually-identical thread that had some good info about the show, including some recommendations.
    •Gone into a few existing posts and added a SPOILER alert via the <spoiler> tab.

Please, folks, if you need to include something that can spoil the unfurling of the plot for others, please take a few seconds to go up to the little icon menu, find the one that looks kind of like an American flag (toward the right of the line of icons), click on that, and highlight some of your text as <spoiler> so that those who read your post will have to choose to hit the spoiler button to read that part of your post. It only takes a few seconds, and it's a nice courtesy to others.

Carry on! :agree:

JohnO likes this.
  4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Picked up the first season box set of this mid 50s television series at my local thrift shop.
    I watched a handful of the episodes and was somewhat suprised how low key and low budget they are /were.
    There's almost nothing to them !
    That's about it.

MAYBEIMAMAZED and Michael like this.
  5. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I've been watching them lately, DVR-ing them, and skipping around to watch episodes from different seasons. I think they're a lot of fun, generally very good, and some are excellent. And short but sweet! The earlier episodes do seem to have a more old-fashioned feel to them compared to the later ones.

And lots of old stars popping up. Recently watched a great Season 5 episode, Man From the South, with Steve McQueen and Peter Lorre. Another favorite was from the early '60s, with Burt Reynolds and a young "Dean Stanton". Other episodes with people like Dick York, Brian Keith, Ann Francis, Leslie Nielsen, and of course Billy Mumy!

6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Alfred Hitchcock Presents (and The Alfred Hitchcock Hour) - NO SPOILERS, please!*

While Hitchcock's dry, macabre sense of humor set the tone for the series, the main people behind AHP were Joan Harrison and Norman Lloyd. They selected the stories, cast them, chose directors, etc. Also credit to James Allardice, who wrote the wraparounds for AH to deliver.

AH w/ his real life "Hitchcock blonde", producer Joan Harrison.

[​IMG]

AH w/Norman Lloyd

[​IMG]

7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I mentioned James Allardice who wrote all of Hitchock's wraparounds. My favorite was the outro for the classic episode "The Jar":

"Some viewers may see a resemblance between the jar in tonight's story and another entertainment device found in the home. I assure you there is absolutely no comparison in quality between the two. But we in television are doing our best, and someday -- who knows?"

[​IMG]

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

one of my favorite episodes!

Jimmy B. likes this.
  9. Michael

I thought they were extremely entertaining back then and still do...they had plenty of substance. IMO of course.

MAYBEIMAMAZED, longdist01 and Culpa like this.
  10. Michael

they need to finish releasing them and NOT ON MOD DVD!
    or give us a Blu-ray complete box set...hopefully not by Shout...oh, wait... they only release DVD box sets at Blu-ray pricing...

babyblue, longdist01 and Culpa like this.
  11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

yeah a complete collection please...what's the hold up? Dribbling these out like a gravy in the recent Limited Edition Hitchcock boxset, or just a few DVD sets years ago...something should be done to collect them in 1 full nice set at least!

Michael likes this.
  12. Michael

yea, reissue the AH movie box and throw in some AHP episodes ...Huh?...NO...we want them all...I have 5 seasons of AHP on DVD IIRC Season 6 was MOD of which I never bought.

longdist01 likes this.
  13. jason88cubs

Ive watcxhed season 1 and really enjoyed it

longdist01 and Michael like this.
  14. Michael

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    longdist01 likes this.
  15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Youtube will probably pull this soon, but i put it up for a friend. For 1943, this must have been pretty damn shocking to hear from serial killer Joseph cotton

16. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I still enjoy watching them. Like all anthologies, the episodes can be hit or miss. But when they hit, they’re very good.

I also prefer the episodes from the 60s - they seem less old-fashioned, as someone above mentioned. Hard to believe that less than a decade would make a difference.

I even liked the first season of the 80s revival, before they moved production to Canada and changed production teams (and moved to USA cable). I thought that first NBC season was superior to the more-hyped “Amazing Stories”.

17. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Some very good episodes...my favorite was the Leg of Lamb episode (which I think Hitch directed).

18. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Of season one, I thought The Belfry was an excellent episode, my favorite from the season.

19. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Yeah, “Lamb to the Slaughter” was directed by Hitchcock himself, one of only I believe eight episodes that he directed.

I love “Man from the South”, about the drifter who bets a rich man that he can light his lighter ten times in a row. This was remade for the 80s version (as well as for another anthology series or two). Steve McQueen and Peter Lorre were in the original. I think the remake had Steven Bauer and John Huston.

AppleCorp3 and MAYBEIMAMAZED like this.
  20. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

They are on ME.TV. I dvr them and watch from time to time. They are fun, but mostly their ironic endings are not so ironic.

21. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

I love them all ! I am a big Hitchcock fan though.

Michael and jason88cubs like this.
  22. jason88cubs

just got season 2 last week

23. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

I’ve been binging the heck out of these. I am halfway through season six and find the series to be outstanding.

MAYBEIMAMAZED and jason88cubs like this.
  24. Michael

are there any plans in the US to continue on with Alfred Hitchcock Presents? we already have Seasons 1-5...it's been years...way too long to let the rest stay on the back burner!

25. Michael

is Season 6 out on DVD? where are you watching them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.