Best version of Pink Floyd The Wall DVD/film*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sound Mind, Dec 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sound Mind

Sound Mind Forum Resident Thread Starter

I see there are various DVD versions of The Wall, and I ran across this Amazon review for one of them and was hoping somebody out there could tell me which DVD version does this refer to?

"This is a reedit of the original - and a worthy one. The story I heard was that Waters and Parker wandered into a matinée showing of the original in London one afternoon, post-millennium, and were appalled at the film they'd made. What originally worked as genius, catering to a 70s and 80s crowd, no longer felt relevant to them. I suspect the original was intended to be seen in a somewhat, um, elevated state of mind (with chemical assistance).

They took it back to the editing room and recut it drastically, removing a ton of the droning, repetitive animation and paring it down to a very terse, very tight film.

I loved the original, don't get me wrong, but it was a bit of a hair-shirt of a film in spots.

This version is solid, tells the story better, and still has the impact of the original (but without the need for chemical assistance to appreciate it).

If you haven't seen it, get it...."

Thanks for any help in this matter!

2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Have you considered putting this in the Visual Arts section of the forum?

3. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

There is reference to changes at IMDb
    Pink Floyd: The Wall (1982) - Alternate Versions - IMDb

The BBFC just states that all known version of this work passed uncut (1982)

Guess I need to run the 80’s VHS against a DVD edition although my only DVD edition is dated 1999 (slip-sleeve).

4. Sound Mind

I'll post there too--thanks. This is the first DVD post I've made on Steve's forum--I usually post about CD's or vinyl...

5. Sound Mind

I see that the 1999 version that you own is referred to as 1999 "special edition" DVD on Ebay etc. That may be re-edited version. If you could compare that to your original VHS for me I'd greatly appreciate it!

6. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

7. Sound Mind

Thanks for all the help. I guess I'll just buy the 2005 Deluxe Anniversary version :(

Mbe likes this.
  8. Isha Moghal

Isha Moghal Active Member

It may not be that relevant but I recently visited a telecine company: www.supaphoto.com and they showed me an original 16mm cine reels (3 OR 4 I think) of Pink Floyd: the wall. He was saying that with the right projector and as long as the original film was in good enough condition, nothing could beat the dynamic range that original film could show, I can't remember the version but I wanted to share my experience :)

Mbe likes this.
  9. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Criterion take suggestions on films to give the high-definition, cleaned-up, documentary/film essay treatment. How about we suggest Pink Floyd: The Wall (1982)?

I emailed the following message to [email protected].

Please send a similar message if you"d like a blu-ray to be made.

Dear Criterion,

I'd like to suggest a high-definition version of Pink Floyd:The Wall, directed by Alan Parker, as a future blu-ray in the Criterion Collection.

Regards,

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  10. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

I’ve always been curious over which audio track is best.

I have the laserdisc that was released in 1997 and it contains the PCM stereo audio

Which is also on the DVD edition but usually stereo / PCM audio on laserdiscs can sound much better than those on DVDs.

11. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

The laserdisc has an audio commentary with Alan Parker that is not on the DVD.

Scowl and JackDVD78 like this.
  12. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Imdb lists as alternate versions:

The final shot in the "Another Brick In The Wall, part 2" sequence, showing Young Pink and the Islington Green School class of 1951 throwing the Teacher into the bonfire, was deleted from the UK theatrical and Canadian VHS versions of the film, out of concern that actual children would try the stunt at home.

The DVD release has footage for "Hey you" that was cut on the theatrical release. Much of this footage was used in other scenes of the movie (a fight between the police and rioters, Pink and the giant wall...)

Does this imply the theatrical version was released on VHS?

Are all DVD releases the same?

I have a DVR recording of the film that aired on TCM. I'll check it out tonight. I wonder what version it is?

Any news on a Blu ray release? Is this Spanish BD legit?

[​IMG]

13. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

There is no company logo anywhere on this cover, of course it's a bootleg.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  14. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Just because it's on Amazon doesn't mean it's legit.

Watched about half of the TCM broadcast and didn't see any difference from the DVD. I didn't get to the 'Hey You' scene though. I think I'll track down an old VHS just for comparison purposes.

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

The "Hey You" footage is not incorporated back into the film, it's just present on DVD as a deleted scene.

As far as the actual film goes, the VHS and DVD releases should be the same except I'm assuming the VHS is full frame as opposed to the DVD's widescreen. (And surround sound, etc.)

Dinstun likes this.
  16. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Thanks, that makes sense after reading more carefully. So it seems there is just the usual theatrical version, as found on most home video releases. And there is an alternate version on the UK theatrical and Canadian VHS releases, which has a scene removed.

No reason to bother with VHS then.

I'm still interested in finding the best available HD version, until an official Blu-ray is released, if ever.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.