Bill Evans Jim Hall Undercurrent which version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bajaed, Mar 26, 2020.

1. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident Thread Starter

Pure Pleasure or new Mofi silver label?

2. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I'd like to know this as well. I was just introduced to Bill Evans last year via the Record Store Day release of Evans in England, and the Black Friday release.

bajaed likes this.
  3. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I wonder whether both of these releases use the original mix.

On CD, the original mix is only available on one rare release, the 1986 Japanese CP32-5187. All US and UK CDs feature a late 1980s re-mix by Malcolm Addey which has narrower stereo and less reverb. The original 1962 mix sounds better in my opinion, in that it's more three-dimensional and very warm.

EDIT — more discussion here: MFSL Undercurrent LP - Bill Evans / Jim Hall

4. AnnoyedRob228

AnnoyedRob228 Forum Resident

I just got the MoFi and he sounds a bit noisy.

I cleaned it and it is still noisy.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  5. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Peter M and kt66brooklyn like this.
  6. bajaed

Where did you get the Japanese version?

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  7. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Neither. Buy a King pressing or stream it /get a CD.

jlykos and kt66brooklyn like this.
  8. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

eBay in my case. They pop up pretty frequently, but almost always from Japan sellers, so you pay a fair amount in shipping. If considering that route, just read the grading carefully - some don't use Goldmine and their Excellent is quite lenient.

I can't say whether paying for this particular copy is worth it - depends how much you like the album. I have read, in particular, that the Mofi version wasn't well loved though.

9. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

CP32-5187, Toshiba BT. Hands down.

hi_watt, jlykos, crispi and 2 others like this.
  10. bajaed

1 for sale on Discogs for $292!

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  11. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I guess the fair price is $70 - 100.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  12. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

The Toshiba vinyl mentioned above and the original stereo are my favorites. For original UA's, I buy super early pressings or white label promos, that's the only way I get around the pressing quality problems. In this case, I have a stereo pressing with the tenor player illustration label. I no longer have the Toshiba, but I might pick up another copy.

13. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

MFSL had a mail out yesterday stating their 'Undercurrent' was back in stock. This morning it is listed as 'Awaiting repress'. Was that a quick sell out?!

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  14. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I'm glad to learn I have the original mix...

[​IMG]

Bill Evans - Jim Hall ‎– Undercurrent
    Label:
    Liberty ‎– CP32-5187
    Series:
    The Finest Jazz On CD Part 1 – 7
    Format:
    CD, Album, Reissue
    Japan
    Released:
    25 Dec 1986

kt66brooklyn and crispi like this.
  15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The Toshiba CD has not just the original mix but the full frequency spectrum of the master tape.

hi_watt, mikeyt, TheRealMcCoy and 4 others like this.
  16. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Yes indeed. It’s such a great disc.

kt66brooklyn and TheRealMcCoy like this.
  17. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

I have the blue note remaster from 2002... just got a DAC giving new life to this CD... pleasantly surprised... I’m sure the above mentioned CD is nice... if I could fine it for a reasonable price I’d probably go for it... For now what I have works

18. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I have the normal Blue Note CD where the cover has a blue tint and I'm happy with the sound of that. Never having had the album on vinyl, I'm leaning towards the Pure Pleasure as it'll be easier (and cheaper) to find. Even cheaper again is the DOL issued LP.
    If a person wanted to display the LP cover, they could buy the cheapest version - just think of it as buying an art print with a free record.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  19. PabloFanques

PabloFanques Forum Resident

Picked up the PP - will chime back in when it arrives.

20. berlinerpunk

berlinerpunk Record Collector

I'm very curious about your thoughts! I picked up a MFSL and sold it the same day - it sounded terrible.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  21. PabloFanques

I understand the tape is just in not so great shape. But it's such a legendary record. I will definitely check back in. I just have to say, again, the classics are the new Beatles in mono value. When they stop using the tape, which I can see happening soon, people will be sorry they didn't grab these.

22. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I saw a vinyl copy this week on Blue Note. I meant to take a pic so I could look it up later but I had an urgent matter come up and had to leave the shop pronto. It was $25 and looked clean. The only thing I recall is it had a B1- prefix. IIRC that denotes the Connoisseur Series but not sure. I need to research. Probably not a bad price if it's a good pressing.

23. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  24. PabloFanques

Ah! I just realized I didn't check back in. OK - for those who care. I felt the PurePleasure edition didn't sound 'audiophile' but I actually felt it sounded more natural than the MFSL to my ears. YMMV.
    I would recommend it!

berlinerpunk likes this.
  25. darkscarf

darkscarf Forum Resident

Hey folks, three questions:

- Is the stereo hard-panned on this one? How's the instrument placement on the Stereo mix on LPs? I either can find mono mixes on streaming sites, or stereo mixes w/ BE on Left and JH hovering over the middle w/ nothing really on right. Just to see if I should hunt down a mono or stereo mix :)

- According to Discogs, PP or MFSL, or any other new analogue reissues have considerable "hiss" in the background. Anyone w/ an OG Mono and Stereo version can confirm if the hiss is also present in the OGs from 1962 as well, please?

- Anyone had a chance to listen to this Japanese pressing from 1984? Would be fantastic to hear how it stacks up to the competition:)

Thanks!