CSNY Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue - May 14, 2021 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Josip, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Onder

Onder Senior Member

But it's not up to the cutting engineer what source is used. If he's told by the label this time we want you to cut from this 16/44 digital file because we think it sounds better now, he'll do that.
    They might even use completely different studio and cutting engineer.

But who says it's worse? That's subjective. Someone might prefer the re-cut from digital.

zobalob and lukpac like this.
  2. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

:goodie::goodie::goodie:

Timjosephuk and paulybauls like this.
  3. jamiehowarth

jamiehowarth Senior Member

The process was Bruce Botnick, working from digital sources and delivering digital. By the way it's digitize not digitalize.

Alan57, millbend, Onder and 2 others like this.
  4. jamiehowarth

The mono master is not cooked. There are 2 sets of 3 tracks only one had severe pitch problems.

kt66brooklyn and Alan57 like this.
  5. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

I think the packaging for the album with CDs is one of the best I've ever seen. The gold leaf, the texture, the vertical LP slip case all make a superb and effective anniversary presentation. I also think the whole thing sounds great!

kt66brooklyn, Alan57 and bonus like this.
  6. AndrewSlattery

AndrewSlattery Forum Resident

I know Bruce was involved. I actually posted a great article above about what he did with the Doors Mono. I was more interested in the actual process? Did he take the multis at 32bit super high res, clean them up, then mix analogue and produce another 32bit file for cutting at Grundman through tubes? Or through solid state? Very exciting times if we can finally get digital records sounding analogue and warm

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  7. AndrewSlattery

Very interesting! I guess I thought the monos were done based on all the talk on here. Very hard to figure out what's true and what's not. Especially when most of the talk says all new mono mixes were made from a folddown rather than from the mono master. But if Google is true in telling me you are who you are, then I trust your call above anyone else on here

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  8. jamiehowarth

Don't know but I'd be surprised if he did another conversion step he didn't have to. He has an Ikon so it would not have been hard to mix digital without going analog. Analog is nothing special these days once the conversion is done - the digital EQ and mixing and so on is extremely transparent.

kt66brooklyn, laf848, xj32 and 3 others like this.
  9. AndrewSlattery

Interesting. I was just going off the Doors article where he was saying he tries to keep everything analogue if he can once the initial files are done. Also that Floyd said they noticed mixing on an analogue deck vs pro tools was significantly better sound. Either way whatever was done was top shelf.

10. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Just a heads up for anyone who still doesn't have this, Deep Discount has it in stock at $77.37, with an additional 15% discount (coupon code = CANDYCORN) through noon CDT on Wednesday 10/13/2021. They do charge a $2.99 shipping surcharge due to the oversized box, but that comes to $68.75 delivered to US addresses.

11. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Is the discount code, CANDYCORN, still valid? Like to purchase The Beatles's SDE, 4cds/blu-ray sudio disc. Rigbt off hand, does have the price on this item? Does DD cds charge the card after ordering or before it ships? Is their shipping like importcds.com, pretty slow? Thanks anyone!

12. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

The code applies to all in stock music. Unless you have oversized items, free shipping (USPS Media Mail) for all orders over $25. They ship orders promptly, after that, it's in the hands of the Postal Service. I live on the West Coast and all my orders this year (so far) have arrived in 4 - 5 business days (i.e. within a week from order to delivery).

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Deja Vu 45rpm Clarity Test Pressing Box Set | eBay

Another 45 rpm Classic Records test pressing of Deja Vu is currently on auction at Ebay - as most people know, it is an unreleased Bernie Grundman cut pressed on 4 single-sided 45 rpm LP's on semi-translucent "Clarity" vinyl. I have the Classic Records 33-1/3 Grundman cut on black vinyl, and it is absolutely superb, but I've always coveted one of these 45 rpm sets. Because there are so many of these (I think there are 100 copies), I had always hoped to land a copy in the $400 range, but they have always been much more expensive (generally $800 - $1200). The Seller has been dribbling out the copies for a while; I wish they would just put out everything they have and be done with it.

I see that as great as it sounds, the 5-LP box set, limited to 3500 copies, is still available. Boy, if they could have included a Grundman 45 rpm cut in the box set, they probably could have sold double or triple that number.

bigal00769 and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

after having time to sit back and digest this thing for a few months now i have come to the following conclusions about my favorite album of all time:

the remastering of the original album is good, very good. would still love a hoffman remaster)

the demos disc is interesting, but not earth shattering, interesting to have, but probably won't get a whole lot of play.

i have come to the realization that disc 3 is a stephen stills solo album, with a couple of crosby tunes and 'horses through a rainstorm' for third time, why a song that never got an original release is has seen 3 different releases is perplexing to me, and 'ivory tower' which i believe is a full-fledged CSN song. neil young appears nowhere, not even for single note, anywhere on disc three. ( and only on one tune on disc 2)

the alternative disc, without an alternative' country girl' is simply incomplete.......and, the entire disc 4 could have fit on one disc with the original album.

so, in summary, this could have very easily been a 3 CD set, possibly 2 CD set if you take out the stills solo album and add it instead as bonus disc on a reissue/remaster of his first solo album. 'ivory tower' should have been on the remastered couch album, the 2 crosby tunes on the IICORMN reissue and scrap the 3rd version of 'horses' as it really is unnecessary. scrap the ridiculous inclusion of the vinyl ( how many would have really cared?) and sell the 2 CD set for $20 - $30.

FYI - young appears on 5 songs on the original, 1 on the demo, 4 on the alternates disc for a total of 10 (feel free to correct me if i am wrong)

all in all, my favorite album of all time became a huge disappointment, i get that people paid $100 and don't want to say it is bad, because it is not bad, it is just very poorly done and very poorly put together and not well thought out and quite possibly one of the biggest money grabs of all time. and i believe that this is, by and large, totally the fault of neil young and his stubbornness and 'greed" 9for lack of a better word). with a bit of blame on rhino for forcing the vinyl on the public without a choice.

:shrug:

stevef, Hep Alien, roman.p and 7 others like this.
  15. lp_zep

lp_zep Forum Resident

I know we don't agree on this, but I can't help to repost my contradictory opinion on this matter.
    I think Young appears on probably 6 songs of disc three, give or take (2 of those contributions being officially documented). And that therefore Young is more represented than Nash.
    CSNY Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue - May 14, 2021 *

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i will, with total respect to your observations and opinions, disagree. i believe young is non-existent on disc 3.

but,

in reality, and i hope you will agree, every single ****ing song on this 4 CD set should have had the credits for them in the liner notes....shame shame shame shame shame shame on whoever wherever decided no t to include those, and, god please don't let this be true, if they were left off on purpose to dupe the people into believing that neil young actually had something to do with this project shame x 10.

Hep Alien, Anthrax and ronbow like this.
  17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Glad to see folks are still enjoying this set.

Classicrock, laf848, Bruso and 4 others like this.
  18. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Despite the several much-discussed issues, it has been a very satisfying release and it was a delight to share in this thread.

Icenine1 likes this.
  19. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

It is the perfect CSNY project. Plenty of missed opportunities and Neil related issues, but a wonderful thing to listen to.

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i don't know about perfect, because i certainly feel it is not, it is however, interesting.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Let’s just say that it IS perfect in its reflection of the group dynamics - “missed opportunities and Neil-related issues.” @Tom Daniels.

22. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

That was what I was saying.

supermd and ronbow like this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

VERY MUCH ENJOYING THE SOUND OF THIS SET!

DK Pete and Peachy like this.
  24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Yup…great sounding throughout.

25. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Understood! (Was trying to attribute the quote.). :agree:

Tom Daniels likes this.