Deep Purple confirms new 2020 album "Whoosh!"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eiricd, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james1967

james1967 Forum Resident

The vinyl does have the DVD at least in the UK.

Raziel666 and dasacco like this.
  2. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident Thread Starter

Very disappointed that Hellfest wasn’t a blu ray. Would be a shame if the Now What tour gets two brilliant stand alone blu ray releases, and the Infinite tour only a regular dvd tucked away as a bonus on a different product..

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

I haven't listened to a Deep Purple album for probably 35 years - and having listend to Whoosh or whatever it's called I can understand why. Put this on tonight streaming from Tidal. OMFG how cheesy is that? There are dozens of bands old and new that can kick this kind of stuff way into the long grass. DIRE.

4. Eiricd

so without having listened to any of the output from 1985-2020, you can write it off like that?

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

that seems like the smart thing to do

Alternative4, Vinyl Socks and dirie like this.
  6. zen

zen Senior Member

Wow! I'm honestly curious...why check out Deep Purple after 35 years? Intrigued? Feeling nostalgic? Was it good publicity?
    I'd give the album a few spins before writing it off, unless ROCK isn't your focus. I've always found Purple albums to be growers.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I think it's pretty good!

8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

There's another thread.

Matthew Tate and dirie like this.
  9. zen

zen Senior Member

10. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

Saw some good reviews so thought I'd give it a listen. There's lots of bands both well-known and not so well-know that are making much better rock music today than this, IMHO of course. Black Country Communion, Biffy Clyro, Kansas, King Witch, Bonehawk, Valkyrie, to name just a few.

Trader Joe likes this.
  11. Wow, the mastering of the vinyl is really quite different from the CD. This is an actual mastering difference as far as I can tell, not just the difference from the needledrop being a bit more dynamic if using the same mastering. DR6 vs. DR14. Sounds good on vinyl, I think.

Code:
    foobar2000 1.3.6 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2020-08-10 23:12:44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Deep Purple / Whoosh! (CD)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
    DR6       -0.02 dB    -6.94 dB      3:40 01-Throw My Bones
    DR5       -0.02 dB    -6.97 dB      4:23 02-Drop The Weapon
    DR7       -0.02 dB    -7.67 dB      3:44 03-We're All The Same In The Dark
    DR5       -0.02 dB    -7.42 dB      4:43 04-Nothing At All
    DR7       -0.02 dB    -8.12 dB      3:31 05-No Need To Shout
    DR5       -0.02 dB    -7.21 dB      3:34 06-Step By Step
    DR6       -0.02 dB    -6.76 dB      3:32 07-What The What
    DR6       -0.02 dB    -8.05 dB      5:40 08-The Long Way Round
    DR6       -0.02 dB    -8.30 dB      4:09 09-The Power Of The Moon
    DR7       -0.10 dB   -10.21 dB      1:39 10-Remission Possible
    DR6       -0.10 dB    -9.50 dB      5:35 11-Man Alive
    DR8       -0.02 dB    -8.77 dB      3:35 12-And The Address
    DR6       -0.02 dB    -8.13 dB      3:54 13-Dancing In My Sleep

Number of tracks:  13
    Official DR value: DR6
    Samplerate:        44100 Hz
    Channels:          2
    Bits per sample:   16
    Codec:             FLAC
    ================================================================================
    Code:
    foobar2000 1.3.6 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2020-08-11 00:32:30

Analyzed: Deep Purple / Whoosh! (Vinyl)
    DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
    DR13      -2.92 dB   -18.39 dB      3:39 01-Throw My Bones
    DR15      -0.71 dB   -18.08 dB      4:22 02-Drop The Weapon
    DR15      -1.24 dB   -18.60 dB      3:43 03-We're All The Same In The Dark
    DR14      -1.92 dB   -18.46 dB      4:49 04-Nothing At All
    DR13      -4.02 dB   -19.14 dB      3:31 05-No Need To Shout
    DR13      -2.73 dB   -18.47 dB      3:33 06-Step By Step
    DR13      -3.37 dB   -17.72 dB      3:33 07-What The What
    DR13      -3.64 dB   -19.32 dB      5:40 08-The Long Way Round
    DR15      -0.46 dB   -19.55 dB      4:08 09-The Power Of The Moon
    DR12      -5.44 dB   -21.04 dB      1:36 10-Remission Possible
    DR13      -3.51 dB   -21.68 dB      5:36 11-Man Alive
    DR16      -2.18 dB   -19.91 dB      3:35 12-And The Address
    DR15      -2.63 dB   -19.83 dB      3:57 13-Dancing In My Sleep

Number of tracks:  13
    Official DR value: DR14
    Samplerate:        96000 Hz
    Channels:          2
    Bits per sample:   24
    Codec:             PCM
    ================================================================================

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  12. zen

zen Senior Member

I can only comment on BCC...and while I sort of enjoyed their first 2 albums, it was far less interesting. Perhaps it's just me, coming from my Purple perspective. Steve Morse is on another level altogether, compared to Joe Bonamassa....and Gillan's lyrics (compared to BCC) can't be touched. But that's the beauty of art.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. I just meant he is featured quite prominently on this album, with lots of organ and keyboards, plenty of solo parts. Of course it is a band album, but Don Airey's contributions to this album are very important, I feel more so than in previous albums.

I also like Steve Morse's guitar work better these days, a bit more restraint regarding the amount of notes he plays. Might have to do with the issues he has with his hand(s) and might also be Bob Ezrin's influence.

JulesRules, slipkid, tkl7 and 2 others like this.
  14. At first, I was a bit underwhelmed by the new album, I felt it is missing something like "The Surprise", something that instantly grabs you.

But it is indeed a grower, and I pretty much like all the songs, at least to some extent.

AFA and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Eiricd

can't remember the numbers, but there's a huge difference on the last two albums as well

16. For Infinite, it was DR7 (CD) vs. DR12 (Vinyl needledrop).

danielbravo and Eiricd like this.
  17. zen

zen Senior Member

WHOOSH DEEP PURPLE FULL ALBUM REVIEW
    .....We take an in depth look at Deep Purples stunning new album Whoosh.

................................Track by track analysis begins at 2:03

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Electric Sydney likes this.
  18. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Well, I got a surprise delivery last night from Amazon Prime. My Mediabook Edition of the CD/DVD arrived way ahead of the estimate date range they originally gave me. Anyway, I couldn't listen to it until after I got home today. Upon first listen, I like it a lot. Don't know yet if I like it as much as Now What?! or Infinite. I liked both of those albums on first listen too and they grew even more on me over each listen. I suspect Whoosh! will do the same.

Side note: That's 2 new albums in one day that I really enjoyed for the first time. I was in Walmart today and happened to see Kansas' new album on display that was released 2 weeks ago (I didn't even know they had a new album out. LOL.) So, I bought that on a spur of the moment purchase and I was pleasantly surprised by it when I listened to it when I got home. It could be Kansas' best album since the '70s (despite how loud the CD is. Blu-ray comes with the limited edition version that contains 5.1 mix that I didn't listen to yet. So hopefully the 5.1 mix sounds better than the CD.)

19. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I got the new cd in the mail today, upon the first listen of the car, the songs that stood out for me was the opening track, Throw my Bones and other tracks Nothing at All , Step by Step, Power of the Moon & Man Alive. Soon after listening to,the whole cd in it's entirity i re-listened to Power of the Moon again, it's a pretty good song.

I have to say i think this album is a nice return to form from the last album Infinite of which i consider one of the weaker albums in the Deep Purple canon. It's nice to see some classic rock bands still producing new music.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  20. Dbstay

Dbstay Senior Member

Listened to this album last night and like it a lot. Has been released on vinyl? Cannot find anywhere online.

neo123 and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I have listened to Whoosh at least 4 times thus far and, imo, it is the best of the Ezrin trilogy.

I thought Now what?!? was decent if a little meh to my ears. Infinite did not grab me then nor now, for whatever reason. Well, I think the reason is, to me, Whoosh has the best melodies and the band is making the most of those melodies - listening to Nothing At All as I type and I find myself drawn into be Steve's guitar fills, Ian's deliver and Don. I agree that Don is arguably the VIP here and that is no knock against the fellas. Paice is one of my favorite rock drummers of all time and Gillan is singing to suit his voice and nailing it.

Well done, chaps.

22. zen

zen Senior Member

Exactly. Whenever I read Gillan's lost his voice I assume they aren't listening to the recent studio albums....and speaking of Gillan nailing it, that goes for his lyrics too.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Yeah, considering his shriekability peaks of yesteryear, it really is a testament to him that he has been able to make his voice work for the music - I've not seen them live so I have no idea how he pulls off the MKII era material but I think he comes off very well vocally.

My favorite of all the post MKII albums is Purpendicular btw

24. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

My vinyl of Whoosh arrived on Tuesday. I also have the new Kansas as well as the reunion Alcatrazz album coming tomorrow. I know what I'll be listening to this weekend!

neo123 likes this.
  25. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Yep. Don is the VIP on this album. I also thought he was the VIP when I saw them live when they were touring with Judas Priest.

I've listened to this album now about 5 or 6 times and I think I do like it better, overall, than the two previous albums, even though I like them also.

Sandinista and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.