Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Aug 15, 2018.

1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's interesting that despite the fact they were scraping to find product to release during his time in the army, they left several tracks in the can and did not release them until years later:

Harbor Lights: recorded July 5, 1954, not released until 1976
    Tomorrow Night: September 1954, not released until 1965 (dubbed/edited) and 1988 (undubbed/unedited)
    Tell Me Why: January 12, 1957, not released until 1966
    When it Rains, It Pours: February 24, 1957, not released until 1965
    Your Cheatin' Heart: February 1, 1958, not released until 1965
    Danny: February 11, 1958, not released until 1978
    Ain't That Lovin' You Baby: June 10, 1958, not released until 1964
    and possibly:
    Satisfied: September 1954, tape lost/destroyed at unknown point after 1957

Not the most commercial batch of tracks, but given their desperation for product it's surprising they were left on the shelf.

2. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

And I still don't understand how that awesome rocking alternate master of "I beg of you" just sat on the shelf. It is head and shoulders above the released version. ??????

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Have to respectfully disagree there. I like the alternate, but I think the released version is the superior arrangement/performance.

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

5. mark winstanley

6. mark winstanley

7. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I think the originally released version was the safer choice. Much more polished and toned down. The alternate master had that raw and rocking sound of Elvis from the Sun records and very early RCA sessions. I can't believe that it just stayed on the shelf for so long. It should have been the first unreleased recording to be used on "Elvis - A Legendary Performer" album in 1974.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I don't think the released version is toned down. It's just a different groove... less rocking, more soulful. More of a "Don't Be Cruel" vibe. As I said, I do like the unreleased version but not as much. It rocks hard, but Elvis' voice seems a bit strident (maybe pitched too high) and I'm not sure that Scotty's constant riffing throughout the song is the best choice. Still, I'm really glad we have both. It's a kick to hear dramatically different alternate arrangements, and it shows how much work and thought Elvis put into his recordings. As I think I said earlier, the one lost session I would most love to hear is the "Hound Dog" session, because the finished arrangement of the song is so notably different than the live version he did the day before on Steve Allen, and we know he did a few dozen takes. I imagine there were some really different things tried as he worked to get the final master, and I'd love to hear them.

9. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

The smoothness of the master actually is why I prefer it. It makes Elvis' raunchy voice near the end sneak up on you in a way the alternate lacks. They made the right choice IMO.
    Me too. Elvis did 31 takes, with the final chosen as master. I'd be incredibly surprised if it turned out that the arrangement stayed relatively the same throughout the session since again, it was so much faster than how he did it on Milton Berle & Steve Allen.

czeskleba, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  10. Of all the missing Evis RCA studio session reels, ‘Hound Dog’ is the one I want to hear most.

11. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I know Elvis is out of the Army now and we need to move on but I agree 100% on the Hound Dog session. It was one song that Elvis changed up a lot during his live performances. I'd love to hear all of the variations.

12. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Looking at acquiring some Elvis on Cd with sound quality being the main priority. I see many people recommend the FTD CD versions and some recommend the Sony Legacy versions of such albums as Elvis, Elvis Presley and From Elvis in Memphis. I know the Sony’s are cheaper and have great quality, mastered by Vic Anesini. I’m curious as to why people prefer the FTD versions, do they sound better than the Sony’s?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  13. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Some of the FTDs sound slightly better, imo but there is not much in it. Some of the Legacy Editions are great value and overall the cds from the last 10-15 years sound great.

mark winstanley and bbanderic like this.
  14. mark winstanley

Riding The Rainbow
    Written By :
    Ben Weisman & Fred Wise

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, October 26-27, 1961 : October 26, 1961. splice take 7 and 9

A short little song. It's pretty decent, not the best, not the worst. Nothing special. Nice arrangement.

Rick H. likes this.
  15. mark winstanley

Home Is Where The Heart Is
    Written By :
    Hal David & Sherman Edwards

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, October 26-27, 1961 : October 26, 1961. take 21 (edited)

This is a nice little song, full of whimsy. It's peaceful and sweet. The backing vocals definitely seem a bit forward in the mix here.

Rick H. likes this.
  16. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

You have postes in the wrong threads :)

17. mark winstanley

whoops lol
    Cheers mate

Still waking up
    :)

18. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

Anything that’s part of you one of my favorite don robertson songs. I think it was the b side of good luck charm.

19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Interesting story that I didn't see posted regarding these two seemingly incongruous names in the cadre of supporting musicians:
    Obituary: Brock Speer

Also told here: The Closest I Got to Singing with Elvis...

According to Gordon Stoker on George Klein's (RIP) show on Sirius XM Elvis Radio, he questioned Atkins' decision to not bring in the entire Jordanaires. Chet's response, similar to what was quoted above, cited his belief that Elvis was a flash-in-the-pan artist that wouldn't be around for long enough for it to matter.

20. mark winstanley

21. mark winstanley

22. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

What was the consensus about the first RCA album?

23. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Aside of it's enormous historical relevance, this album is perfect. Rock and roll can't be better than this.
    The 2005 CD is definitive

24. mark winstanley

I think generally good/significant...
    It's a while ago lol

artfromtex and RSteven like this.
  25. mark winstanley

I love all that 54-57 stuff. Still sounds kinda fresh, and special to me

RSteven likes this.