Elvis Presley - The Posthumous Years 1978-1999*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Same sentiments here, Mark! This! ^^^^

2. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

A nice CD. I was always fond of the LP.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

4. mark winstanley

5. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I had a download of this one from wherever along with some of the other early FTDs and unlike many of the others, I actually played Out in Hollywood semi regularly. No good reason for it, I did not have much more than the decade sets at that point, so you would think soundtrack outtakes of tracks I did not have master versions of would be a pass, but it makes for an agreeable play.

This is one I recently ordered off Discogs because it was less than $20, and am hoping will deliver sometime this week. If I spot Silver Screen Stereo for a good price I would scoop that up too.

6. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

If I were to compose a track list for Volume 2 with 18 tracks in mind, first I would restore the running order of the original release. Heck even if you were to remove the bonus tracks on this volume, the interspersed original tracks are not in the original running order! (At least volume 4 has the original songs in the right order, but the bonus tracks are interspersed within that order!) 2nd, I would use the original LP version of Doncha Think It's Time. And I would use these 8 songs from Gold Award singles and EPs:
    In no particular order:
    Playing For Keeps
    King Creole
    Don't Leave Me Now (Jailhouse Rock version)
    Hard Headed Woman
    Don't Ask Me Why
    Mean Woman Blues
    You're So Square Baby I Don't Care
    Trouble

mark winstanley and Dave112 like this.
  7. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

You'd get my vote! Christmas songs are only good on a Christmas compilation in my opinion...

8. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

If fact I am in the process of making a CDr with these tracks. My tact is to put 4 songs each on the end of each "LP side" That way I get the original running order for each side, 4 bonus songs at the end of each side.

9. Gazz

Gazz Forum Resident

I'm with you Spencer, hard to nail one in particular but possibly my favourite Elvis song

10. londonflash

londonflash Forum Resident

Liquid gold in song form that one.

DirkM, RSteven and Gazz like this.
  11. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Peak Elvis. The title "The King of Rock 'n' Roll" was never more apt than here.

12. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

I just got this as an early Christmas present to myself, and absolutely love it! I'll pick up the fifties and sixties collections eventually, but I love me some seventies Elvis. Way Down in the Jungle Room turned me on to this era of Elvis's career.

13. mark winstanley

I was really nervous about the seventies... when we started I only knew a few singles.... needless to say there is some great material, and I needn't have worried.
    I love both the Jungle Room releases. Even in compromised form Elvis still won me over

14. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I'm sorry, I don't know much about this.
    I have a budget CD called "It's Christmas Time" from (apparently) 1985. What is it exactly? A repackaging of one of Elvis' Christmas albums? A compilation of his Christmas material (sounds more like it - 1957 and 1971?)? It's also very short : 10 tracks, 23 minutes. The info on it is completely minimal ("Originally recorded prior to 1972", wow!).

I picked it up, US import, for 99 cents a couple of years ago in a store and play it every year. His voice is wonderful.

[​IMG]

croquetlawns and mark winstanley like this.
  15. jeremylr

jeremylr Forum Resident

Hi Dodoz, It's Christmas Time contains all eight Christmas songs from Elvis' iconic 1957 holiday LP (omitting the four dull gospel standards), his 1966 Red West-penned "If Every Day Was Like Christmas" A-side, and "Mama Liked the Roses." Composed by another Memphis protégé, Johnny Christopher, the latter isn't a Christmas tune but contains the lyric "but winter always came around" in the first verse. Chips Moman and the Memphis Boys tracked "Mama Liked the Roses" with Elvis at American Sound in January 1969. Over a year later it wound up as the B-side of "The Wonder of You" and was first included on the RCA Camden budget 1970 reissue of Elvis' Christmas Album. Every track on that Camden LP is represented on It's Christmas Time. So you have roughly half of Elvis' Christmas studio discography--in May 1971 he subsequently waxed 11 more at RCA Studio B in Nashville for his second and final holiday offering--Elvis Sings the Wonderful World of Christmas.

16. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Thank you jeremylr! Nice to have the details.

I now understand why it's so short : it once was a Camden! :)

17. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

[​IMG]

dreambear, RSteven, jeremylr and 4 others like this.
  18. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

"By Request : Mama Liked The Roses" !

The artwork is much better on the Camden. But hey! 99 cents. I can't complain, this is quality.

RSteven, jeremylr, JimmyCool and 2 others like this.
  19. artfromtex

I LOVE that cover. Killer jacket from Speedway.

20. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Must look great on LP format. I see it was cropped/reframed on latter reissues though.

[​IMG]

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  21. artfromtex

I think they did that outside the USA. I have seen lots of non-US Camdens with funky alternative covers.

RSteven, mark winstanley and Dodoz like this.
  22. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I actually prefer this version of the 1957 Christmas album (minus Mama), as I never thought the four EP tracks at the end fit. I often turn it off at that point.

23. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

At 14 this was my most treasured Christmas album. A perfect Camden including the cover, and thats a rarity.
    I guess the "Special Request" was "Find somewhere to put this B side. I don't care where!"

Madlove, RSteven, phillyal1 and 3 others like this.
  24. artfromtex

"By special request" = "The Colonel insists".

25. rudybeet

rudybeet Forum Resident

A question on two songs I am missing in their original mixes: US Male and Too Much Monkey Business

I have them on the 60s box, but I hate the remixes and the overall SQ of this box.

The FTD of Stay Away, Joe has them, but goes for about $100. :mad:

I see they are also on "Tomorrow is a Long Time." Does anyone know if these are the original mixes here and how the SQ is? I know it's not Vic, but I'm just trying to avoid the Ferrante/Baxter garbage.

Or can I find these two songs anywhere else?

Thank you all for your vast knowledge! :)

Hep Alien, Dave112 and croquetlawns like this.