Frank Sinatra: The Reprise Years (38-Disc Box Set from UMG)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Dec 1, 2010.

1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Never splurged for this set. is it worth it?

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Depends on what you already have. There's nothing here which wasn't available separately in single releases and/or the suitcase. If you're looking to start a new Reprise CD collection in one fell swoop, it's worth it (and less cost than finding/buying all the individual discs, I think). Not worth it if you have the suitcase, unless you prefer to listen in original album order without extra effort.

MLutthans likes this.
  3. anfield ace

anfield ace Active Member

Hi Guys,

Just ordered this box set off Discogs, advertised as mint/ new, can't wait...supplies of this release now dwindling fast, with high prices, I thought it better now then never!

Cheers, great thread...

4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

A friend got a mint condition "Suitcase" edition for...$125.00 last month!!!!! The deals ARE out there....

6. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Bob F thanks for all your work and posts. I have the 1998 20 cd box. Great to have so much in one place but I would like all the albums on there own at some point. I assume the 1995 trunk and the 1998 box are the same in terms of sound/mastering. Going through this thread and am looking to get this 38 cd set.
    What are your thoughts on high resolution commercial downloads of Sinatra material? I would assume they use the latest digital version as their source.

7. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I guess that the problem with buying a new set via the marketplace is that it might be an original with the printing errors. Amazon UK still have this set which is presumably the corrected version. A bit pricey though.

8. Bob F

You're welcome. Nice to see some interest in this auld thread.
    Digitally identical. The hardcover books are the same also, except for the color of the covers.
    With a couple of exceptions, those that were released appeared to use the same masters as the recent and concurrent UMe vinyl releases. (I.e., they are much improved over the CD versions.) But UMe seems to have discontinued HD versions of its Sinatra issues. See this SFF thread/post for a list and more commentary:

Frank Sinatra albums in high-resolution audio? - Page 2 : Hi-Res Sinatra Albums

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  9. Bob F

There used to be an email address at UMG to request a new book. It must be somewhere in this thread, and I don’t know if they will still send one out to purchasers after all this time.

But it's only one page that's missing. I recently scanned it for someone. If you get stuck with a defective copy, I could post it here.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Flaming Torch likes this.
  10. anfield ace

anfield ace Active Member

Just received my copy from Discogs, brand new and sealed, book is correct, no mistakes, the label mistake is still the same...but set is amazing, can't wait to hear these!
    Cheers...

11. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

We can't have Frank being shut down that's just not right so I've reopened the thread as requested Bob,

Enjoy folks.

12. Bob F

Thanks, Graham. I was asked by @Price.pittsburgh about the cardboard wallet sleeves in this box set, and I noticed that some photos I had once posted fell victim to the change in forum image policy. So this is a repost…

Sinatra Jigsaw Puzzle
    Here are the box set gatefold wallet sleeves, placed open on a floor with the insides facing up, in four 3 x 3 sections. Pardon the crude iPhone photography:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Source photo, from the LP liner of SINATRA AND SWINGIN' BRASS:

[​IMG]

jpreza, Library Eye, Galley and 4 others like this.
  13. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

I just indulged in a little pandemic retail therapy and bought a very nice used copy of this set. Unfortunately, the book contains the printing error. I assume it's way too late to get a new book from UMG -- although I would love to be proven wrong. Bob, would you be able to post the replacement page? No rush, obviously.

14. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

I watched the first of the specials on the dvd the other night -- looks good, although I haven't compared it with anything else. It is nice to have the sound in uncompressed mono, like the original Warner dvds.

I do wish the liner notes for each album had been made as a separate booklet with each digipak, but I assume the book was a less expensive way to include them all. I had no luck with that old email, btw. @Bob F -- I realized I should have used your handle to ask for that replacement page but, again, no rush. :)

15. Bob F

Got it this time, William. I’ll dig it up for you shortly.

wvk3 likes this.
  16. cdman

cdman Forum Resident

Is the Mastering for all the songs on the REPRISE YEARS box same as the SUITECASE box?

17. Bob F

No. I’d have to lookup which titles differ, but this 2010 38-disc box includes newer masterings for those albums released post-1998 as part of the EOTC (Entertainer of the Century) series of remasters. There were a dozen albums which differ from earlier pre-1995 CD issues.

Flaming Torch and Library Eye like this.
  18. cdman

cdman Forum Resident

Oh that's good! I have the SUITCASE when it came out and just got the 38-Disc box last week. Have not opened it yet... thanks Bob.

jpreza and Bob F like this.
  19. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

Back when I got a used copy of this set real cheap (the outer box was kinda rough) I went through this forum and this thread to see what's what, likely getting all this info from comments here by @Bob F , and saved myself the following note into same folder where I slowly RIP'd the discs. I may of course have made mistake(s) …

Here are the dates when these titles first appeared on CD in the U.S. or Europe with the same mastering as used in The Reprise Years (37 CD +1 DVD UMG box set). All were the original Warner/Reprise releases [except as noted]. Blue titles were Entertainer of the Century (EOTC) reissues. Red titles appeared on UMG.

01•••••1998 Ring-a-Ding Ding!
    •••••1999 Swing Along with Me
    •••••1998 I Remember Tommy
    •••••1998 Sinatra & Strings
    •••••1998 Sinatra and Swingin' Brass
    06•••••1993 Great Songs from Great Britain
    •••••1992 All Alone
    08•••••1999 Sinatra–Basie
    •••••1999 The Concert Sinatra
    10•••••1991 Sinatra's Sinatra
    •••••1987 Days of Wine and Roses, Moon River and Other Academy Award Winners
    12•••••2010 America, I Hear You Singing
    13•••••1998 It Might As Well Be Swing
    14•••••1989 Softly, As I Leave You
    15•••••2010 Sinatra '65
    16•••••1998 September of My Years
    17•••••1989 My Kind of Broadway
    18-19
    ••1987 A Man and His Music (2-CD)
    •••••1987 Strangers in the Night
    •••••1991 Moonlight Sinatra
    •••••1991 That’s Life
    23•••••1998 Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim
    24•••••1991 The World We Knew
    25•••••1999 Francis A. & Edward K.
    26•••••1999 The Sinatra Family Wish You a Merry Christmas [Artanis/DCC]
    27•••••1991 Cycles
    •••••1987 My Way
    •••••1991 A Man Alone
    •••••1994 Watertown
    •••••1991 Sinatra & Company
    •••••1987 Ol’ Blue Eyes Is Back
    •••••1991 Some Nice Things I’ve Missed
    34-35
    ••1988 Trilogy: Past, Present & Future (2-CD)
    36•••••2010 She Shot Me Down {revised pressing}
    37•••••1997 L.A. Is My Lady [Qwest]

20. Bob F

:D I should have re-read my own old contributions to this thread: Post #145

Library Eye likes this.
  21. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

I remember going through your list then searching the web for a mastering of L.A. Is My Lady first released in 1997. Finally came across it (perhaps added by you, for all I recall) at sinatratafamily dot com. Think it's this European issue, with unknown date, on Discogs…
    likely same as this Japanese release
    but not sure.

22. Bob F

No, it was originally a “Made in U.S.A.” release in 1997 by Qwest/Warner, with cat. # 9 25145-2. Same barcode as those Germany and Japan issues at Discogs. This is the correct Discogs link, but the release year shown (1984) is that of the original LP, not the CD reissue…

Frank Sinatra With Quincy Jones And Orchestra - L.A. Is My Lady

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    andy75 and Library Eye like this.
  23. cdman

cdman Forum Resident

Thanks BOB F and LIBRARY EYE!

all the songs in the SUITCASE has been mastered all together in 1995?

Library Eye and Bob F like this.
  24. Bob F

No. Many were from earlier CDs (1986-94).

teag, Flaming Torch and Library Eye like this.
  25. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

So there is no LA Is My Lady CD with the first and in my opinìon better Mack the Knife on it? I have the 97 CD but will look for it on vinyl.

Bob F likes this.